The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

University of Glasgow Accommodation - Official Q&A

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I recently submitted an application for accommodation as a returning undergraduate, as I read on the website that around 20% of spaces are given to returners. I'm just wondering if it is likely that I will get a place for 2017/18 ?
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by Alexa_1
How much do you have to pay for the deposit?

Hi @Alexa_1

We actually have prepayments rather than deposits. The prepayment is made as part of the contract acceptance and is then deducted from your overall accommodation fees.

The prepayment amount for next year is currently under review but will be finalised shortly.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Simmeh-chan
Is there anywhere I can get help applying for the talent scholarship? I'm really unsure about what to put in the personal statement.

Hi @Simmeh-chan

Yes, personal statements can be quite tricky. The talent scholarships are actually administered through our Marketing, Recruitment & International Office and you will be able to reach them at [email protected].

Hope this helps.

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Original post by jamiek32
Hi,
I recently submitted an application for accommodation as a returning undergraduate, as I read on the website that around 20% of spaces are given to returners. I'm just wondering if it is likely that I will get a place for 2017/18 ?

Hi @jamiek32

Unfortunately, due to a significant increase in applications, we have been unable to retain our designated spaces for returners. There may be rooms available later in the summer but we won’t know for sure until the start of September so if you contact us closer to that point we will be able to let you know the options we have.

In the meantime, If you’d like any information on searching for accommodation in the private sector please drop into the Accommodation Office or email us at [email protected] and we can provide some useful links.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Hi!
I have firmed a conditional offer for an undergraduate course and would like to apply for accommodation now, but I have a problem. Because of my allergies I can't live in a room with a carpet, but according to the pics online it seems like all the rooms have them. Aren't there really any rooms without a carpet? I wouldn't like to go to private accommodation just because of this :frown:
Original post by mintiess
Hi!
I have firmed a conditional offer for an undergraduate course and would like to apply for accommodation now, but I have a problem. Because of my allergies I can't live in a room with a carpet, but according to the pics online it seems like all the rooms have them. Aren't there really any rooms without a carpet? I wouldn't like to go to private accommodation just because of this :frown:

Hi @mintiess

Congratulations on accepting your offer:smile: Unfortunately all of our residences are carpeted. If it would help, we could arrange to have the carpet in your room steam cleaned before you arrive?

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Hi. I have recently applied for accomodation and received an email confimring my application. The email included the following:
'To assist you further please read the following points in relation to your application:
If you hold an Unconditional offer of study, an Offer of Accommodation will be sent to you from mid-April onwards; thereafter offers of accommodation are generally sent out at the end of each week;
If you hold a Conditional offer of study, an Offer of Accommodation will be sent to you after you have met the conditions of your offer of study and our system is updated with your revised status. (Please note that it can take up to 72 hours for our system to be updated with your unconditional status)'

I hold a conditional offer to the university of AAB. Does this mean I wont get any offers of accomodation or know where I will be staying until after 18th August (results day)? If so, this seems a bit strange as I will only have two weeks to sort out private if I'm not offered one of my choices.
My daughter is considering applying for shared accommodations in the Student Apartments. Could you provide some more info on this option? I'm wondering what the accommodation will be like size, location etc.
thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 148
Hi! I am about to apply for accomodation and I have some doubts. I am intrested mainly in Student Apartments and Cairncross House. What is the difference between twin rooms in those properties? In case of both twin and single rooms in those two, how many rooms share one bathroom/kitchen?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 149
Hi there, I'm wondering if it's at all possible that when you apply for accommodation, you can pay it all off in one go (or a large amount of it) rather than in monthly instalments or however it is worked out. I'm working full time at the moment and am saving up money before attending. My family are concerned with living costs while I'm there so I'm wondering if it would be possible to make the payments before I attend while I'm still earning a good amount of money so that my family won't have to worry. Thank you.
Reply 150
I've recently submitted my application for housing for graduate students, with my first choice being the large en-suite in Maclay and second choice being the standard en-suite in Maclay. What are the differences in the two accommodations in terms of size of the bedroom, bathroom, apartment, and location, roommates, etc?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiera28
Hi. I have recently applied for accomodation and received an email confimring my application. The email included the following:
'To assist you further please read the following points in relation to your application:
If you hold an Unconditional offer of study, an Offer of Accommodation will be sent to you from mid-April onwards; thereafter offers of accommodation are generally sent out at the end of each week;
If you hold a Conditional offer of study, an Offer of Accommodation will be sent to you after you have met the conditions of your offer of study and our system is updated with your revised status. (Please note that it can take up to 72 hours for our system to be updated with your unconditional status)'

I hold a conditional offer to the university of AAB. Does this mean I wont get any offers of accomodation or know where I will be staying until after 18th August (results day)? If so, this seems a bit strange as I will only have two weeks to sort out private if I'm not offered one of my choices.

Hi @kiera28 ,

Yes, unfortunately we are unable to send out offers of accommodation until the final results have been updated on our system by UCAS/Admissions. Applying with a conditional status shouldn’t put you at a disadvantage when it comes to being offered one of your top preferences however, as we have a system in place to ensure that rooms are distributed fairly throughout the application period.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Original post by ScottishFold
My daughter is considering applying for shared accommodations in the Student Apartments. Could you provide some more info on this option? I'm wondering what the accommodation will be like size, location etc.
thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi @ScottishFold

Student Apartments are certainly one of our most popular residences as they are located right on Campus, within minutes of the library and most lecture theatres. They are also close to Byres Road in the west end which has lots of great shops and supermarkets, not to mention the Hillhead Subway station which can get you to the City Centre very quickly. If you check our Know Your Area guide this should give you more info on the location.

Because Student Apartments are based in traditional tenement buildings there isn’t really a standard room size but if you check out our Student Apartments Flickr page there should be some images of a typical twin rooms. All rooms are fully furnished with beds, desks, chairs, wardrobes, chests of drawers and set of shelves and all of the flats have well-equipped kitchens with cookers, fridge-freezers, microwaves, kettles, toasters and individual shelf space. Our Student Apartment video should also give you an idea of what the flats are like.

[video]https://youtu.be/q_7jqbY1-EQ[/video]

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Original post by siege98
Hi! I am about to apply for accomodation and I have some doubts. I am intrested mainly in Student Apartments and Cairncross House. What is the difference between twin rooms in those properties? In case of both twin and single rooms in those two, how many rooms share one bathroom/kitchen?

Hi @siege98 ,

The main difference between the two sets of twin rooms is probably the size. Cairncross House is a purpose-built student residence and so tends to have fairly standardised rooms whereas Student Apartments, being traditional tenement buildings, has varying room sizes and shapes. Cairncross House was recently refurbished so if you check out our Flickr page for the site you should see some more images there and the Student Apartments Flickr page should also have some images of a their typical twin rooms.

At Cairncross House the toilets and showers are distributed at various points along the corridor of each floor and students can basically use any that is free. In addition, all rooms have a sink. Student Apartments on the other hand has one shower and one toilet for approximately four/five students.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Original post by ceejerz
Hi there, I'm wondering if it's at all possible that when you apply for accommodation, you can pay it all off in one go (or a large amount of it) rather than in monthly instalments or however it is worked out. I'm working full time at the moment and am saving up money before attending. My family are concerned with living costs while I'm there so I'm wondering if it would be possible to make the payments before I attend while I'm still earning a good amount of money so that my family won't have to worry. Thank you.

Hi @ceejerz

If you don’t want to pay your accommodation fees with monthly instalments you can pay in one lump sum with a credit card through your MyCampus account or, alternatively, by a bank transfer. Unfortunately the fees won’t be added until late September so you all you would be able to pay at this point would be the prepayment that is required when you are accepting your contract.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Original post by ky23
I've recently submitted my application for housing for graduate students, with my first choice being the large en-suite in Maclay and second choice being the standard en-suite in Maclay. What are the differences in the two accommodations in terms of size of the bedroom, bathroom, apartment, and location, roommates, etc?

Hi @ky23

Standard en-suite rooms at Maclay are generally about 12 square meters with a standard size single bed (91 x 190 cm) whereas the large en-suite rooms are generally 16 square meters with a standard UK size double bed (137 x 190 cm). Other than that they are fairly similar with regards to the flat layout and facilities. If you’d like to see some images of Maclay please visit our Flickr page and check out our video below. Our Know Your Area guide will also give you a better idea of Maclay’s location.

[video]https://youtu.be/sClBCtrwPDQ[/video]

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Hi I currently live about half an hour away from glasgow university and I am hoping to apply for student accommodation. Is this possible? Am I likely to get a place? Xx
Original post by Zara🎀
Hi I currently live about half an hour away from glasgow university and I am hoping to apply for student accommodation. Is this possible? Am I likely to get a place? Xx

Hi @Zara🎀 ,

Unfortunately, due to a substantial increase in the number of applicants to the University, we have had to update our Admissions Policy for 2017/2018 and give precedence to students who live outwith commuting distance of the campus.

You can definitely apply for accommodation but we may not be able to offer a place until September when all the applicants who cannot commute have been allocated.

Best wishes,

Alexander
Accommodation Services
Since we are from the US, we will be arriving the week before Freshers week to help my daughter check into her halls. Do you know when students have access to their accommodations? Since Freshers week starts Sept 11th, I am hoping it is the Saturday before (Sept 9) or sooner.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
It's Sept 8th and if it is the same as the January dates match, keys can be picked up in the afternoon depending on which residence. I haven't seen anythign posted fro September yet.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/accommodation/hallsofresidencewelcomeinformationandfaqs/#d.en.40678

I am also coming form the US (Phoenix) the week before with my son - what will your daughter be studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending