The Student Room Group

Home Office Caseworker

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by homesickalien90
Anyone applying for the jobs in Sheffield?

No sorry, too far for myself to travel. Good luck if you are applying in Sheffield.
The Liverpool job would be closer for myself too. Does anyone reckon there's a chance more AO jobs could become available in Liverpool at the home office soon? Seems unlikely if there were so many applications for this initial batch but you never know.
Reply 82
Original post by homesickalien90
The Liverpool job would be closer for myself too. Does anyone reckon there's a chance more AO jobs could become available in Liverpool at the home office soon? Seems unlikely if there were so many applications for this initial batch but you never know.

They might readvertise in the future again due to brexit, if they do I will certainly apply again, did you apply? There are EO positions still open for Bootle think it closes Monday night if you were interested.
Reply 83
I only got 70% for the AO test. My applications to this department really haven't gone well so far! :frown:
Back to reality after a break in Torquay hopefully the wait is nearly over
Reply 85
I have applied for the Bootle EO Decision Maker scheme (I'm from Glasgow and also in the running for Fast Stream although I like that this position is a contract and I could have another year to think about what I wanna do with my life lol).

I completed the tests a few days ago, although I presume because its the holidays I wont hear until tomorrow at the earliest. anyone else applying for this?

I also looked at the Shefield job, but i think it said you have to have experience in the sector.
here are two positions available with the Home Office in Sheffield. The EO grade job there requires experience but the AO grade job you don't.

I've applied for the Bootle one. I'm currently an AO with the DWP and have some experience of straightforward decision making so am hopeful I at least get an interview. I think it looks like a very interesting role. The fact you have to work some weekends and potentially up until 9pm in the week is a bit annoying though. Also the fact it's in Bootle makes the potential commute a bit longer
(edited 7 years ago)
Just finished the test although only had 2 parts to do of the 4 segments as must have scores banked from a previous application will have to wait till the 24 April according to email sent after completing it.

The late finishing doesn't bother me to be honest, I prefer working different hrs although those with responsibilities like children etc may be a problem, I'm glad my days of worrying about that are over.
Reply 88
Yes, and they also said you will be paid more working after 7pm and on weekends. It seems we will find out results very soon if phone interviews are this week.
Reply 89
I have booked my telephone interview for the Saturday for the EO position in Bootle, they are very quick for responding for this position unlike the other civil service vacancies. I think the hardest thing for me is the telephone interview so will be practicing like mad haha. Good luck everyone else who has applied.
Reply 90
Original post by Chantelle_89
I have booked my telephone interview for the Saturday for the EO position in Bootle, they are very quick for responding for this position unlike the other civil service vacancies. I think the hardest thing for me is the telephone interview so will be practicing like mad haha. Good luck everyone else who has applied.

Very quick indeed! When did you do the tests? lol
Reply 91
Original post by Jamso
Very quick indeed! When did you do the tests? lol

I applied and completed my tests on the 4th April and heard back on Thursday the 13th, I imagine you will all hear back tomorrow or Wednesday, the only dates available for the interviews when I booked was the Thursday, Friday and Saturday, I imagine further days will be available when the applications close.
These jobs have also been advertised in the local papers so I hope it doesn't turn into the same messing about the AO jobs have turned into. !!!!!!!!!
Reply 93
Original post by silver67surfer
These jobs have also been advertised in the local papers so I hope it doesn't turn into the same messing about the AO jobs have turned into. !!!!!!!!!

I know 🙈, hopefully we will hear back from the AO positions soon as the extra tests need to be completed today 🤞
Reply 94
I'm waiting to hear back for the AO position. I got about 72% on the EO questions, and about 85% on the AO ones, from memory. I completed my additional tests a few days ago.

I took the practice tests before doing the additional ones and one of the answers I gave was wrong. I answered 'cannot tell/need more information' or whatever it was, and the correct answer was apparently true. It was to do with archaeology and the passage stated that the archaeologists dug up some ancient workshops and found iron ore in one. The statement said something along the lines of 'The people who lived here had the ability to smelt their own iron.'.

Surely there's not enough information there to prove that. Just because there's some iron ore there doesn't mean they were doing anything with it and I'm sure it didn't specifically mention the nature of the workshops.

I think that answer may have skewed how I answered the real questions because I ended up trying to think about it how the person who wrote the practice questions was thinking about it rather than focusing on what was in front of me. I think I answered about ten questions overall.

I also have a telephone interview for the Bootle job. I know that Civil Service roles are all about hitting competencies, however there didn't seem to be specific reference to competencies in the materials provided and I'm wondering how a telephone interview will factor in to it. I've also never done a telephone interview.
Reply 95
Original post by Gyoza
I'm waiting to hear back for the AO position. I got about 72% on the EO questions, and about 85% on the AO ones, from memory. I completed my additional tests a few days ago.

I took the practice tests before doing the additional ones and one of the answers I gave was wrong. I answered 'cannot tell/need more information' or whatever it was, and the correct answer was apparently true. It was to do with archaeology and the passage stated that the archaeologists dug up some ancient workshops and found iron ore in one. The statement said something along the lines of 'The people who lived here had the ability to smelt their own iron.'.

Surely there's not enough information there to prove that. Just because there's some iron ore there doesn't mean they were doing anything with it and I'm sure it didn't specifically mention the nature of the workshops.

I think that answer may have skewed how I answered the real questions because I ended up trying to think about it how the person who wrote the practice questions was thinking about it rather than focusing on what was in front of me. I think I answered about ten questions overall.

I also have a telephone interview for the Bootle job. I know that Civil Service roles are all about hitting competencies, however there didn't seem to be specific reference to competencies in the materials provided and I'm wondering how a telephone interview will factor in to it. I've also never done a telephone interview.

For the Bootle vacancy, I believe they will ask us about three comptencies, delivering at Pace, making effective decisions and leading and communicating. If you google civil service competency framework you should find the guidelines for what they are looking for.

Good luck for your interview and the AO position.
My EO decision maker is on hold for 3 months which I'm not too bothered about.

The EO decision maker telephone interview tells you in the material sent in the email which competenciest are relevant just seen my wifes paperwork she has printed out so it does tell you how to prepare for it, it was sent after she booked it.

Gyoza what did you score on the additional test for the AO position
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by Chantelle_89
For the Bootle vacancy, I believe they will ask us about three comptencies, delivering at Pace, making effective decisions and leading and communicating. If you google civil service competency framework you should find the guidelines for what they are looking for.

Good luck for your interview and the AO position.

Thanks. Those competencies rang a bell and I just found them again in the candidate pack I must have skipped over them when scanning through again.

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts about selecting examples? I have relevant examples from years ago, and some more recent ones which I don't think are as strong. I asked around and I've had some advice to go with the more recent ones.
(edited 7 years ago)
Gyoza ref the questions in the practice test I wouldn't worry too much you will only beat your self up over it, nothing gained by second guessing yourself now unless you got a really low score everyone on here so far found it difficult and I don't understand to be honest how the thing works ref giving everyone a different amount of questions as like I said I only had 4 to answer, so the way they score it will be interesting
Just pick what you think are your strongest and meet the points of the competency only you can decide that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending