The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Forecast
Some of the 2016 admissions assessment papers are now available (mostly Arts subjects) from the respective course pages on http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses, the other ones to follow shortly I assume.

I can't find the law test paper, am i looking in the wrong place or is it just not up yet?
Reply 2341
Original post by feb_baby
I can't find the law test paper, am i looking in the wrong place or is it just not up yet?

The Law Test is a bit different to the new Admissions Assessments instigated for other courses. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't share the 2016 paper.
Just found the NSAA paper... I think I've just been sick mentally.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone find any like blogs or anything written by previous applicants that were useful when applying?? Or in terms of the confidence wobble that many of us are having/have had recently? I'm asking because I didn't really find anything and I think I might have found something like that really useful, especially if it was written whilst you were in the middle of it all? I know about Lucy Parson's site and her book (highly recommend if you haven't read it) but I'm debating setting up my own blog covering everything from applications to getting through exam season etc and wondered if anyone had seen anything like that and thought it might help future applicants. I'd value some comments on this from you guys, who are like the only people I know in this situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayofsunshine98
Just found the NSAA paper... I think I've just been sick mentally.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone find any like blogs or anything written by previous applicants that were useful when applying?? Or in terms of the confidence wobble that many of us are having/have had recently? I'm asking because I didn't really find anything and I think I might have found something like that really useful, especially if it was written whilst you were in the middle of it all? I know about Lucy Parson's site and her book (highly recommend if you haven't read it) but I'm debating setting up my own blog covering everything from applications to getting through exam season etc and wondered if anyone had seen anything like that and thought it might help future applicants. I'd value some comments on this from you guys, who are like the only people I know in this situation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely a good idea! There's an instagrammer called thatoxfordgirl who does a blog about applying to Oxford, although it's a bit happy-go-lucky tbh and is more concerned about applicants than offer holders (like most things I've come across actually!)

I might do one too actually, info for my subject is a bit sparse 😅
Original post by Steliata
Definitely a good idea! There's an instagrammer called thatoxfordgirl who does a blog about applying to Oxford, although it's a bit happy-go-lucky tbh and is more concerned about applicants than offer holders (like most things I've come across actually!)

I wasn't even thinking that subject specific tbh, but I thought especially for those students like myself who are from a school where it's either one a year or less, so you're very much on your own applying in terms of people understanding what you're going through emotionally, it would be nice to let others know that they aren't alone. I was debating doing a beauty blog as well so I might just make it a bit of a mixture (like people such as Tanya Burr do with makeup and baking etc) and do things like beauty on a budget and how to do a full face of makeup on a budget and with pretty cheap makeup, as well as the more Oxbridge focussed stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wasn't even thinking that subject specific tbh, but I thought especially for those students like myself who are from a school where it's either one a year or less, so you're very much on your own applying in terms of people understanding what you're going through emotionally, it would be nice to let others know that they aren't alone. I was debating doing a beauty blog as well so I might just make it a bit of a mixture (like people such as Tanya Burr do with makeup and baking etc) and do things like beauty on a budget and how to do a full face of makeup on a budget and with pretty cheap makeup, as well as the more Oxbridge focussed stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that sounds great! It'll be a nice break from studying too I bet 😊
if i make my offer would be happy to offer my side of things too on the course, as it is also very sparse

Original post by Xphoenix
if i make my offer would be happy to offer my side of things too on the course, as it is also very sparse

Sounds good, perhaps we could all pool together for it 👍
Does anyone know if a course is in Extra, does that mean it's likely to be in clearing also?

Currently deciding whether to take a risk on my insurance (as in less room for error) or go for the uni with a lower offer (the course in extra). Alternatively, if i missed my insurance, if there is another course that is similar with lower entry requirements, would they let you onto that providing you meet it or would you need to ask to do that come results day/in advance?

@Doonesbury Think you may be able to help me most

Thanks, and sorry for the rushed and panicking message!
Does anyone know if a course is in Extra, does that mean it's likely to be in clearing also?

Currently deciding whether to take a risk on my insurance (as in less room for error) or go for the uni with a lower offer (the course in extra). Alternatively, if i missed my insurance, if there is another course that is similar with lower entry requirements, would they let you onto that providing you meet it or would you need to ask to do that come results day/in advance?

Not Doonesbury :tongue: but will try to help

Answer is maybe yes maybe not. A lot of universities that participate in Extra also participate in Clearing. However certain universities that have some courses available through Extra (i.e. UCL last I checked...) often doesn't participate in clearing. If I remember correctly, Edinburgh and Durham had less than ten courses each (one of them only had one course in clearing... forgot which one) in 2014 or 2015 so I guess it depends on which year and the applicant pool as a whole.

You would have to call the insurance university and ask about the second question I suspect (if they'll let you in despite missing your grades by a bit)

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah that sounds great! It'll be a nice break from studying too I bet 😊

That's my other thought..and maybe when we are all at Cambridge next year we will all have to do guest posts on each other's blogs for another perspective. Sorry if you've said this already in here (I have a brain like a sieve at the moment) but what course and college were you??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
The Law Test is a bit different to the new Admissions Assessments instigated for other courses. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't share the 2016 paper.

ohhh, thank you!
It'll be a nice break

What's a break? Don't think I've heard of those in Cambridge...
That's my other thought..and maybe when we are all at Cambridge next year we will all have to do guest posts on each other's blogs for another perspective. Sorry if you've said this already in here (I have a brain like a sieve at the moment) but what course and college were you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah no problem! Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (Japanese) at Selwyn. :smile:
Original post by Zacken
What's a break? Don't think I've heard of those in Cambridge...

What about those lectures you skipped 😉
Ah no problem! Asian and Middle Eastern Studies (Japanese) at Selwyn. :smile:

What about those lectures you skipped 😉

Ahh very interesting, was just wondering if you were either a future fellow NatSci or Queens' student who I would be bumping into next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh very interesting, was just wondering if you were either a future fellow NatSci or Queens' student who I would be bumping into next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I haven't done science since GCSE 😂 Queens' looks like a great college though! So many old buildings 😄
Haha, I haven't done science since GCSE 😂 Queens' looks like a great college though! So many old buildings 😄

I love science haha. I stayed at Queens' on summer school and fell in love with it 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Next Jake Wright/Joe Binder/Ibz/Holly Gabrielle???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2358

Original post by wolfmoon88
Not Doonesbury :tongue: but will try to help

Answer is maybe yes maybe not. A lot of universities that participate in Extra also participate in Clearing. However certain universities that have some courses available through Extra (i.e. UCL last I checked...) often doesn't participate in clearing. If I remember correctly, Edinburgh and Durham had less than ten courses each (one of them only had one course in clearing... forgot which one) in 2014 or 2015 so I guess it depends on which year and the applicant pool as a whole.

You would have to call the insurance university and ask about the second question I suspect (if they'll let you in despite missing your grades by a bit)

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Firstly, just because a course is listed in Extra doesn't mean it actually is in Extra. Some universities are rather lazy and don't remove their courses from Extra... so you need to call the university first to check.

Secondly Extra and Clearing are, of course, different and you can't assume one leads to the other, or that if a course is in clearing necessarily means it will accept a lower requirement.

"Generally" most universities do allow a one or even two grade miss, but there's no guarantees... (and the most demanding/popular courses are less likely to relax their offer). Durham in particular can spend a long time thinking about it and still say no after days have elapsed.

Eitherway, less than 10% of applicants end up at their Insurance anyway. The vast majority go to their firm (and approx 90% of Cambridge offer holders make their offer (except for Maths...)).

What unis are you thinking about for your insurance, and what are their offers?
(edited 7 years ago)

I think you'll find old buildings aren't sparse in Cambridge :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending