The Student Room Group

Psychology degrees - what is it like ??

Thinking of swapping courses from maths to psychology but quite frankly I have no idea what you do on a psychology course

I assume you write tonnes of essays but what sorta essays are they like are you meant to argue about theories or debate things or simply regurgitate stuff from books and journals ?

My subject has no essays so I never write anything lol so I'm pretty clueless as to what these degrees are like ?

Also what is the difference between Alevel and degree level psychology ?
Reply 1
Original post by fefssdf
Thinking of swapping courses from maths to psychology but quite frankly I have no idea what you do on a psychology course

I assume you write tonnes of essays but what sorta essays are they like are you meant to argue about theories or debate things or simply regurgitate stuff from books and journals ?

My subject has no essays so I never write anything lol so I'm pretty clueless as to what these degrees are like ?

Psychology degrees are about more than just copying things from a book; there's a dominant emphasis on critical thinking. That's mainly the difference between degree and A-Level: at A-Level you can just learn someone else's essay plans and a few generic evaluative points to get an A, but things have to be much more succinct and relevant during a degree.

It's not just essays, but also written reports on practical work, and presentations, etc. The FAQ has some more about it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1200984

Someone at your university should be able to tell you about how big a difference there is between the two subjects if you were wanting to change.
:smile:
Original post by fefssdf

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1200984

For my degree, we mostly wrote essays during term.

What you are given at university level is simply an essay question, a suggesting reading list, and most times you will get a few lectures on the essay topic (although sometimes essays will be due before lectures).

The main skill is (i) reading a lot, quickly, (b) doing your own search for relevant materials (usually journal articles, sometimes you will look at textbooks, but you cannot really just rely on textbooks for university essays), (c) finding an interesting/novel/critical approach to answer an essay.

In contrast to maths, most of the content will be quite simple to understand, so instead of spending your time trying to get your head around some concept, your normally spending your time trying to find evidence in journals/booka to build an argument in an essay. Then at exam time you try and remember your main arguments and studies are regurgitate this out.

Most psychology courses will have some practical elements where you will gather and analyse data from experiments and write up lab reports.
Reply 3
Original post by iammichealjackson
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1200984

For my degree, we mostly wrote essays during term.

What you are given at university level is simply an essay question, a suggesting reading list, and most times you will get a few lectures on the essay topic (although sometimes essays will be due before lectures).

The main skill is (i) reading a lot, quickly, (b) doing your own search for relevant materials (usually journal articles, sometimes you will look at textbooks, but you cannot really just rely on textbooks for university essays), (c) finding an interesting/novel/critical approach to answer an essay.

In contrast to maths, most of the content will be quite simple to understand, so instead of spending your time trying to get your head around some concept, your normally spending your time trying to find evidence in journals/booka to build an argument in an essay. Then at exam time you try and remember your main arguments and studies are regurgitate this out.

Most psychology courses will have some practical elements where you will gather and analyse data from experiments and write up lab reports.

Thank you for the advice

Also can I ask what is your timetable like in terms of number of contact hours and the sort of contact you have

E.g lectures, seminars, tutorials and what is the difference between them cause my course doesn't have seminars for instance so I don't exactly know what happens in them ?

Thanks
Original post by fefssdf
Thank you for the advice

Also can I ask what is your timetable like in terms of number of contact hours and the sort of contact you have

E.g lectures, seminars, tutorials and what is the difference between them cause my course doesn't have seminars for instance so I don't exactly know what happens in them ?

Thanks

You should probably be more concerned about whether you like psychology enough in order to study it.... i did a dual honours degree so my timetable wouldn't be very informative! I did something like an essay a week (with a meeting after each essay), plus 1/2 lab reports a term, and i didn't go to any lectures in third year. You can easily find these things out if you email the university though.
Reply 5
Stick with maths you probs won't get a job with psychology
Reply 6
Original post by velocity6
Stick with maths you probs won't get a job with psychology

Well see idk cause you look at all these grad schemes and they just say any subject with a 2:1 ... and tbh I'm considering stuff like teaching or like business like not finance things that people typically go into from maths I'm really not interested
Reply 7
You should probably be more concerned about whether you like psychology enough in order to study it.... i did a dual honours degree so my timetable wouldn't be very informative! I did something like an essay a week (with a meeting after each essay), plus 1/2 lab reports a term, and i didn't go to any lectures in third year. You can easily find these things out if you email the university though.

It seems interesting enough and tbh anything compared to maths is interesting cause maths is just so abstract and pointless tbqh whereas psychology is actually real world stuff that you can relate to ; I can't relate to complex numbers ffs
Original post by fefssdf
It seems interesting enough and tbh anything compared to maths is interesting cause maths is just so abstract and pointless tbqh whereas psychology is actually real world stuff that you can relate to ; I can't relate to complex numbers ffs

Well you could do applied maths - things like physics, statistics, engineering, etc which would be a bit more similar to what your used to. Are you already in uni?
Reply 9
Original post by fefssdf
Well see idk cause you look at all these grad schemes and they just say any subject with a 2:1 ... and tbh I'm considering stuff like teaching or like business like not finance things that people typically go into from maths I'm really not interested

There is a shortage of maths and physics teachers in the uk. Maths would probs be a big help in business as you're usually working with numbers. So either way, maths is valued more that psychology and you have a much higher chance of getting a grad job with maths.
Original post by fefssdf

Yeah, quite a lot of essays but also lab reports and basic statistics (which should be fine for a mathematician).

You are supposed to argue about theories and evidence in essays, although weaker students tend to regurgitate from books.

There should be a lot of independent research from journals.

A level psychology is much more about memorization of particular examples and studies. There's little emphasis on understanding or critically analyzing whether information is any good or not (and a lot in psychology is not).

I would highly recommend not switching to a psychology degree though. Maths is much more employable. In fact, many of the best psychologists I know came from maths/physics/engineering backgrounds.
Reply 11
Well you could do applied maths - things like physics, statistics, engineering, etc which would be a bit more similar to what your used to. Are you already in uni?

Yes I'm currently in my first year of a maths degree and I have done the physics and stats stuff but still I'm not interested in any of it
Reply 12
Original post by chazwomaq
Yeah, quite a lot of essays but also lab reports and basic statistics (which should be fine for a mathematician).

You are supposed to argue about theories and evidence in essays, although weaker students tend to regurgitate from books.

There should be a lot of independent research from journals.

A level psychology is much more about memorization of particular examples and studies. There's little emphasis on understanding or critically analyzing whether information is any good or not (and a lot in psychology is not).

I would highly recommend not switching to a psychology degree though. Maths is much more employable. In fact, many of the best psychologists I know came from maths/physics/engineering backgrounds.

Your last line makes me think I should be doing a psychology degree then ; how would you become a psychology from doing a maths degree lol
Original post by fefssdf
Your last line makes me think I should be doing a psychology degree then ; how would you become a psychology from doing a maths degree lol

Usually after completing their first degree, a Masters in psychology, or neuroscience, or information/computer science, and from there a PhD in the scientific end of psychology.
Reply 14
Original post by chazwomaq
Usually after completing their first degree, a Masters in psychology, or neuroscience, or information/computer science, and from there a PhD in the scientific end of psychology.

Oh really so you could do a masters in psychology with a maths degree ? Seems a bit unlikely like seeing as most maths students despise writing essays
Original post by fefssdf
Oh really so you could do a masters in psychology with a maths degree ? Seems a bit unlikely like seeing as most maths students despise writing essays

As chazwomaq says, can do a research masters/phd in psychology without a psychology undergraduate degree, although you may find it quite tough if you have never done university level essay writing and reserarch before. To become a practicing psychologist, you need to have a BPS accredited psychology degree or postgraduate conversion course, then you need to more postgraduate study and training (see http://careers.bps.org.uk/ ).

I know Newcastle University (and maybe others) have a specific program for people with engineering or maths backgrounds to do funded Masters+Phds in neuroscience. Might be worth a look.
Reply 16
As chazwomaq says, can do a research masters/phd in psychology without a psychology undergraduate degree, although you may find it quite tough if you have never done university level essay writing and reserarch before. To become a practicing psychologist, you need to have a BPS accredited psychology degree or postgraduate conversion course, then you need to more postgraduate study and training (see http://careers.bps.org.uk/ ).

I know Newcastle University (and maybe others) have a specific program for people with engineering or maths backgrounds to do funded Masters+Phds in neuroscience. Might be worth a look.

Thanks for the advice :biggrin: very useful aha
Original post by fefssdf
Thanks for the advice :biggrin: very useful aha

What did you decide?
Reply 18
Original post by LunaCat
What did you decide?

Currently in year 2 of my maths degree

Quick Reply

Latest