The Student Room Group

Young People and Politics - A Blog Post about the General Election

After the recent news about the new general election 8th June, I wrote a blog post about young people, students in particular, and why it is important to be active in politics. Also about how polarised the political climate appears to be right now, with many people arguing over social media about their beliefs. Check it out:

http://blogs.staffs.ac.uk/student-blogs/2017/04/19/young-people-and-politics/
Original post by StaffsUniDrew
After the recent news about the new general election 8th June, I wrote a blog post about young people, students in particular, and why it is important to be active in politics. Also about how polarised the political climate appears to be right now, with many people arguing over social media about their beliefs. Check it out:

http://blogs.staffs.ac.uk/student-blogs/2017/04/19/young-people-and-politics/

Good post and to see this drive to push people to vote. Keep it up!
Original post by Aceadria
Good post and to see this drive to push people to vote. Keep it up!

Thank you! 😊 For those at university I think it is very important to be politically aware, and to be very vocal about what you believe in. I also believe that we should try to use more empathy when talking about politics and political issues, to try and understand where each other are coming from. Although I feel at this rate, with the amount of elections/referendums that we have had, people are just going to be tired of it all and not engage as much as others would hope 😕
What is the point in being vocal when you aren't listened to?

You can write blogs, go on marches or even graffiti your opinion on the front lawn of parliament but at the end of the day politicians don't really give a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: about young people.

It was a labour government that gave us tuition fees, a tory (coalition) that raised them (twice) and lib dems that promised to help students and ended up :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing them anyway.
Original post by Meany Pie
What is the point in being vocal when you aren't listened to?

I feel you, and I understand the frustration, especially when most of government is made up of people twice our age who have the last idea of what it's like to be a young person today. But I would rather live in hope that attempts are being made to listen by some in the government, than to give up and allow for the government to do whatever. Don't let ignorant people, whether they are in or out of the government, disenfranchise you as a voter 😊
I feel you, and I understand the frustration, especially when most of government is made up of people twice our age who have the last idea of what it's like to be a young person today. But I would rather live in hope that attempts are being made to listen by some in the government, than to give up and allow for the government to do whatever. Don't let ignorant people, whether they are in or out of the government, disenfranchise you as a voter 😊

The government does whatever they want anyway. 100s of Thousands of students protested against the rise in fees, government still did it twice without once considering the impact it would have on young people. They cut mental health services which is a huge issue for young people and all people actually.

We are powerless to do anything when they simply don't listen.
Original post by Meany Pie
The government does whatever they want anyway. 100s of Thousands of students protested against the rise in fees, government still did it twice without once considering the impact it would have on young people. They cut mental health services which is a huge issue for young people and all people actually.

We are powerless to do anything when they simply don't listen.

I am aware, and trust me as someone studying psychology and counselling, cuts to the mental health services does frustrate and sadden me. You have to remember though that not everyone in the government have the same ideology, and it is made up of individuals with different views.

I think it's a case of making your point by voting (or even spoiling your vote if you really feel its the best option), and then doing your best to hold MPs accountable. The follow-through of making sure government do what they say they were going to do is something I think not a lot of people think about (nor should they really, but it is clearly needed).
I am aware, and trust me as someone studying psychology and counselling, cuts to the mental health services does frustrate and sadden me. You have to remember though that not everyone in the government have the same ideology, and it is made up of individuals with different views.

I think it's a case of making your point by voting (or even spoiling your vote if you really feel its the best option), and then doing your best to hold MPs accountable. The follow-through of making sure government do what they say they were going to do is something I think not a lot of people think about (nor should they really, but it is clearly needed).

I haven't seen any improvements to mental health services in my lifetime, so it certainly comes across like nobody cares. On the point of individualism however MPs are often told how to vote by the party and can be punished for their individualism. So they even if they hold separate views most toe the party line.

Of course MPs should be held accountable, but they aren't and they aren't going to pass laws which does so because it isn't in their interest.

I will still vote because people died to defend the right to vote, but I don't see it as my voice being heard. Even when the people organised the largest single protest in UK history (Liberty and Livelihood March), the government did not listen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is all so wishy washy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending