The Student Room Group

caught doing 96mph on the m40, only had licence for 4 months..

I got a speeding ticket today because I got caught by a speed gun doing 96mph on a 70 zone. I honestly didn't know this was a thing, I see people driving at absurd speeds on the motoreway all the time and I thought it was just the norm, if I knew it wasn't, I obviously wouldn't drive so fast.

Will I get 6 points for this? im really scared I'm going to get banned, which cannot happen as i'm working.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by help-me333
I got a speeding ticket today because I got caught by a speed gun doing 96mph on a 70 zone. I honestly didn't know this was a thing, I see people driving at absurd speeds on the motoreway all the time and I thought it was just the norm, if I knew it wasn't, I obviously wouldn't drive so fast.

Will I get 6 points for this? im really scared I'm going to get banned, which cannot happen as i'm working.

You'll be losing your licence unless you somehow have an absurdly good reason to defend yourself with in court.

You didn't know the speed limit was a thing? Are you sure you actually passed a driving test? There's breaking the speed limit, and then there's being reckless. You fall into the latter.

Enjoy the driving ban - stay off of the roads!
Reply 2
96 mph burns a lot of fuel, you shouldn't be doing that speed for that sole reason.
Reply 3

You assumed that travelling forty-percent above the speed-limit was "the norm"? Hopefully you won't be driving again, but if it's any consolation your cognitive-dissonance alone could probably power Tesla.
(edited 6 years ago)

You probably need to get yourself a solicitor. Yes theres a chance you could lose your licence. If its just speeding then its 3 to 6 points.
Reply 5
To be fair OP, a lot of people do speed. The ones that do speed do indeed average 90-100 mph. Is it safe, no. Going 90 mph
dramatically increases your breaking distance and you burn a lot of fuel. There are a lot of drivers who drift between
70-80 mph. Going 10% above the speed limit won't get you banned, but is excusable.

Going above 10% is not and will result in a lot of points and/or being banned.
Reply 6

You probably know Since you're a new driver 6 points would mean a ban, but I'm not sure if you'll get 6 points… I think it's a penalty + 3 points unless you're in Scotland then it can be 6.

But if you were going 100 MPH, just 4 MPH extra you'd face an automatic ban so you got off lucky twice. Only 3 points and just 4 MPH under an auto ban… also come on, everyone knows the M40 is jammed with Cameras. You're better off speeding on the M4, theres few cameras and they never work (this isn't a suggestion btw, it's better you don't speed at all)
Found this when googling:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/speeding-revised-2017/

By the looks of it, you could be disqualified for max 4 weeks or 4-6 points; you may get lucky :/
Reply 8
Original post by -//-
To be fair OP, a lot of people do speed. The ones that do speed do indeed average 90-100 mph. Is it safe, no. Going 90 mph
dramatically increases your breaking distance and you burn a lot of fuel. There are a lot of drivers who drift between
70-80 mph. Going 10% above the speed limit won't get you banned, but is excusable.

Going above 10% is not and will result in a lot of points and/or being banned.

All speeding results in a fine and 3 points. Sometimes (usually) you're offered to pay £99 and take course with no points for your first speeding offence.

There are automatic bans though. You'll get one if you're caught doing 100+ in a 70 zone, 85+ in a 60 zone, 75+ in a 50 zone, 66+ in a 40 zone and 51+ In a 30 zone.
Reply 9
It's worth noting the punishments for speeding are changing next week, so if you're really unlucky, you'll be on the new spec.

That's a Band B fine, with a disqualification for 7-28 days OR 4-6 points on your licence.

If I were the magistrate, I'd slap you with the 6 points for being grossly negligent - how were the road conditions?

EDIT: In addition to whatever the magistrates throw at you, you need to consider the increase in your insurance premiums the minute you are convicted of the offence. Don't forget to update your insurer, or you'll be null and void!
(edited 6 years ago)
Btw its one thing killing yourself in an accent its other road users who you are not considering. A ban might make you decide to be a more responsible driver.
Reply 11
Everyone is being too harsh on the OP, this is his first offence remember.
I don't think 96 mph in a 70 mph zone is reckless, it is negligent, but not reckless. If OP was doing 130 mph and/or swerving
wildly between lanes it may be considered reckless.

Also with clear conditions and no traffic, it can be reasonably safe to cruise at 80-85 mph.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by x1chloe1x
Found this when googling:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/speeding-revised-2017/

By the looks of it, you could be disqualified for max 4 weeks or 4-6 points; you may get lucky :/

Think he might get off with 3 points and no ban (the current law and law at the time of accident), this doesn't come into force until Monday 24th… this and the fact 4MPH more would've led to an auto ban is just pure luck…
Reply 13
Original post by zayn008
Think he might get off with 3 points and no ban (the current law and law at the time of accident), this doesn't come into force until Monday 24th… this and the fact 4MPH more would've led to an auto ban is just pure luck…

Why do you know your speeding laws so well? Have you been caught? :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by -//-
I don't think 96 mph in a 70 mph zone is reckless, it is negligent, but not reckless. If OP was doing 130 mph and/or swerving

Also we clear conditions and no traffic, it can be reasonably safe to cruise at 80-85 mph.

Everyone knows speeding on the motorway is like a norm… even the politicians know and wanted to increase the speed limit. I remember that whole thing with Jeremy Clarkson when he spoke on the issue - controversial but true. Motorway speeding just doesn't bother people
Reply 15
Original post by -//-

Also we clear conditions and no traffic, it can be reasonably safe to cruise at 80-85 mph.

He's had a licence for 4 months and already been caught going nearly 40% over the speed limit and you think that's not reckless? He has absolutely zero experience on the roads at these sorts of speeds.
Reply 16
Original post by -//-
Why do you know your speeding laws so well? Have you been caught? :wink:

lol no… I remember my dad talking about it the other day, he was on the motorway and may or may not have gone over 100mph, then he said it was a ban. Thought I'd share that and just googled the rest :tongue: the worst I've done is drive with a light hangover and shout at a bin at McDonald's (I thought it was the order thing)
Reply 17
Original post by zayn008

If he's SENTENCED after the 24th, they will be using the new guidelines - they have not changed the law - the Sentencing Council have updated the guidelines that a Magistrate would use to sentence.

EDIT: Only the fines have been updated, not the penalty points.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by IWMTom
He's had a licence for 4 months and already been caught going nearly 40% over the speed limit and you think that's not reckless? He has absolutely zero experience on the roads at these sorts of speeds.

Personally given the speed I don't think it's reckless. It is negligent and even more so, given he is a new driver. I've done 95 mph on a motorway and things move very fast, you are moving quicker than 90% of cars which can be a problem if someone comes in front of you. Granted I did 95 mph to overtake some idiots and get into clear traffic.

If OP was going way over 100 mph, then yes. But these days people cruise in the "fast lane" at 90 mph unfortunately.
Original post by -//-

Also with clear conditions and no traffic, it can be reasonably safe to cruise at 80-85 mph.

Sure. Say that when you've been hit by a driver doing the same thing as the OP

Quick Reply

Latest