The Student Room Group

Louise's route to AAAB

Scroll to see replies

Thursday 6th and Friday 7th March:

And the mocks are finally over! The final two papers, especially the poetry paper were great, and I definitely felt comfortable coming out of it - even if I was dead on my feet.

Thursday was the Tiberius and Claudius paper; but we were only half of the paper, so no options as to which question to complete which annoyed me a little as I'd typically pick the Claudius question rather than the Tiberius one we were given. But I suppose it's great practice for the exam, and the 5 mark questions were super easy (completed in under a minute!)

I spent most of Thursday afternoon and evening working on my EPQ essay - which I'm intending to email over to my supervisor in the next week or so (which I feel bad about leaving so late. I'm 90% sure that I'm not going to get this A, but I can still aim for a B here)

The poetry paper on Friday consisted of both the Romantic comparison and the 21st Century unseen question. I can't exactly remember what the unseen poem was, but the options to compare it to were:

Please Hold and themes of strong emotion

On her blindness, and theme of growing old.

I picked the former, as I found that so much easier to deal with. Maybe I'll use the other question as practice later on.
The Romantic poetry questions:

Ancient Mariner and display of nature.

London and display of society.

I chose the latter, and compared it to Holy Thursday from Songs of Innocence - I had a friend who did the same but picked Experience, not Innocence. I spent a good 5 minutes deciding between the two before picking Songs of Innocence. I'm still not entirely sure that I chose the right one, but we'll see when I get my results back in 2 weeks time :smile:

@blackrosedrop I thought you might want to see :smile:

After the exam, two friends and I went into town for a celebratory McDonald's lunch, and boy was it worth it. It tasted like victory!

Later, I'm hoping to organise what I hope to do over Easter holidays, but for now? A nap and a couple of hours gaming for me!
(edited 7 years ago)
Don't mind me, just being a stalker. :P Thanks for tagging me, I love reading through other people's blogs (it's also super motivating too!).

Best of luck with your EPQ! I can completely relate, I'm glad I got it out of the way with in Year 12. I don't think I could have managed doing it this year! Your poetry questions seem pretty good as well, best of luck with your results! I do prefer the 2nd generation poets though, I think they have way more interesting personal lives which is good for that extra A03 context!
Original post by blackrosedrop
Don't mind me, just being a stalker. :P Thanks for tagging me, I love reading through other people's blogs (it's also super motivating too!).

Best of luck with your EPQ! I can completely relate, I'm glad I got it out of the way within Year 12. I don't think I could have managed doing it this year! Your poetry questions seem pretty good as well, best of luck with your results! I do prefer the 2nd generation poets though, I think they have way more interesting personal lives which is good for that extra A03 context!

I know what you mean! I love looking at the variety of subjects everyone takes :smile: Definitely tells me to keep going if I see someone motivated somewhere else!

And thank you :smile: There's been moments where I've not really been motivated in either the EPQ or my other subjects - it seems to take turns as to which one it's going to be. So I need to try and sort that out :smile:
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie

After the exam, two friends and I went into town for a celebratory McDonald's lunch, and boy was it worth it. It tasted like victory!

^^ This made me giggle. I definitely have to do this after one of my exams.. congrats btw keep up the great progress!! Xx
Last night, I had a moment of thought over what I'd applied to do? I was talking with a friend over the course of last week about directing or scriptwriting - which we both agree that we'd do amazing at (so many plans for directing and creating adaptations etc)

I don't know what to do exactly? Creative writing was always a good hobby for me, and I've won several creative writing competitions so I think I could do well, but I don't know if that's compromising my future by changing my mind now...
(edited 7 years ago)
Easter Holidays plans and goals:

Though it's two days in (with today being the third) I know I need to get a lot of work done. As such, I've decided to plan what I need to achieve before I go back to college on April 24th:

Email over my EPQ essay to my supervisor, along with the bibliography and other relevant sheets.

Complete the homework set for Russia History concerning The Cold War's effects on Nationalities and the Russian Empire.

Look over the Bronte poems and make notes in advance

Annotate the poems that you missed from days off/ the trip to Italy.

But there are also things I want to achieve other things such as:

Spend at least 3 days a week doing some sort of exercise - maybe Just Dance or a trip to the nearby water park.

Create some general revision materials

Monday 17th April:

So after a week essentially doing nothing and recovering from mocks week, I received an email this morning from my EPQ supervisor asking if my essay and project as a whole will be complete to hand in on Monday next week - which is sort of is? Most of the notes about the project need editing and adding in more detail to get higher marks.

With a week to go, I've going to spend as much time as possible on it. (I'll let you know how that one works out)
.... and now for a mild mental breakdown.

I just looked through the WW1 coursework I handed in 3 months ago and oh godI found I’ve missed an entire ending to a paragraph.
I’ve literally screwed myself over. I can’t fail this bc then I can’t get into university.
My teacher’s refusing to tell us our grades as well so I know I’ll be waiting for a U in August.
I’m on the verge of a panic attack with this.
.... and now for a mild mental breakdown.

I just looked through the WW1 coursework I handed in 3 months ago and oh godI found I’ve missed an entire ending to a paragraph.
I’ve literally screwed myself over. I can’t fail this bc then I can’t get into university.
My teacher’s refusing to tell us our grades as well so I know I’ll be waiting for a U in August.
I’m on the verge of a panic attack with this.

Please don't stress! I've been in this situation a lot before.. maybe consider having a word with your teacher and letting them know how you feel because I'm certain you haven't failed. Often, when you overthink things like this you play it out in your head a lot worse so just try and stay calm and tell someone how you feel.
Original post by misstiah_h
Please don't stress! I've been in this situation a lot before.. maybe consider having a word with your teacher and letting them know how you feel because I'm certain you haven't failed. Often, when you overthink things like this you play it out in your head a lot worse so just try and stay calm and tell someone how you feel.

I emailed them last night not really hoping for a response - he's known to not answer emails- but the first line was 'I was being serious about not telling you the grades' and then proceeded to remind me of the homework due next lesson.

He said further down that he didn't see anything wrong, but he's usually forgotten things like that before. So I'll just have to ask in Monday's lesson if it got the chance.
On a much happier note compared to last night's freak out:

I accepted my offers for uni!

FIRM: History and War Studies at Kings College London (AAA)
INSURANCE: Joint Honours History and Archaeology & ancient History at Birmingham (ABB or ABC+A)
Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd:

This weekend is what I'm naming my EPQ panic weekend.
With the entire thing due monday morning at 10:15, I've estimated I've got another 20 hours to get it complete.
Saturday I'm hoping to focus on the commentary and log book
Sunday is the last minute writing of the essay and any changes - the footnotes and sources etc.
Monday's final hour is more likely any last minute panicking and printing everything off.

Luckily, mum's bought me a mini whiteboard so I can write everything out so I know what I need to do and what has been done.
Sunday 23rd April:

Soooo.

The EPQ is 95% complete, but I still need more work for it to get to the standard I need for it. Yeah I know, I left it way too late - again. But I think I've caught the stomach bug that's going around, and it's stopped me really getting anything done.

Like, of all days I get ill - it had to be the day before I go back to college?! Ugh I feel rough; I think I need to have Monday off. (Which i can't afford to do bc my attendance is awful, and also because I know people insult me behind my back when I have days off)
Monday 24th April part 1:

So I got my history mock grades, and let's just say that I did not get a single grade I thought I had;

history mocks.png

My first paper is June 9th - how am I going to get up from an E to an A?!

Ugh, I think I've just given up right now.
Monday 24th April part 1:

So I got my history mock grades, and let's just say that I did not get a single grade I thought I had;

history mocks.png

My first paper is June 9th - how am I going to get up from an E to an A?!

Ugh, I think I've just given up right now.

Okay advice time for if things go badly on results day - you can pretty much always get a place on archaeology courses through clearing (since not many people apply to them). I recommend looking at universities whose archaeology department focuses on the areas of history you find most interesting (for example York uni's archaeology department has a focus on medieval archaeology while bradford uni's has a focus on neolithic to iron age archaeology) so you'll know who to call if everything goes pear shaped.
I've always loved history and I'm currently doing an archaeology degree which I love so I definitely recommend it as a backup to your backups (additionally you said that your insurance option is archaeology and ancient history so it seems you already have some interest in the discipline?).
Monday 24th and Tuesday 25th:

So, the bug's gotten worse and I needed another day off college. And before you say that I'm having days off for the sake of it, I stood up earlier this morning and was dangerously close to passing out. I've not been able to concentrate for more than 10 minutes at a time, and doing small bits of EPQ work has been a chore that's defeated me - and also resulted in emails from tutors that are not making me feel better at all.

And then I went to say something about an hour ago which caused my voice to crack, so it looks like it might be getting worse.

Some hugs and tea are all I need right now; but of course I get ill the week it matters for attendance.
Thursday 27th April

And I am finally back at college! Today definitely had a great deal of work to catch up on - mainly in history, but I was raring to go (after trying not to pass out on the train this morning)

Lesson 1 and 2: A2 History, and today's lesson finished the penultimate module: Nationalities and Satellite States. Which means we begin the Khrushchev module - the final one!!!

This lesson was rather easy, even if it built on quite a bit of knowledge that I missed form earlier this week, but the second hour was spent going over Russification, and this I understood rather well!

Clearly, I'm already rearing to go and get that A; also in this lesson, I emailed my tutor to ask for a conversation about my mocks after tutorial this afternoon.

Lesson 3: English Literature, and today we covered one of the Emily Bronte poems "Julian M and A G Rochelle"; a bit longer than I was expecting, we had our English teacher attempt to draw it out to allow us to understand it better. And even though she couldn't draw very well, it was hilarious and definitely allowed me to know the poem better.

Lesson 4: Free period, and spent this doing yet more EPQ work; I am definite that it will be handed in sometime tomorrow when I track down my supervisor in college.

Lesson 5: Tutorial, and it was all about letting properties, as well as voting. quite a quick session, lasting around half an hour, giving a little longer than I thought to chat with my tutor about my mocks and the aftermath of my mental breakdown.

She was kind and very understanding about it, and was definitely trying to help me out with this, sending out recommendations for how to revise best, who to revise with, any revision sessions being completed in college. The chat was supposed to be 10 minutes - it lasted for 45... I almost missed my train, but it was a good talk.
{�3��1
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1493315845.844350.jpg

A photo of the history lesson earlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Friday 28th April:

So, instead of the typically relaxed Friday I usually experience, today has instead been a hive of panic and stress, and I am frankly amazed that I didn't cry today (but man was it close)

I spent the first 2 lessons - which I should have spent in my AS classics resit lessons - working on my EPQ; I had the Mind Over Marathon documentary playing in the background, which inspired me to keep going, and essentially plant the idea of getting fit in my head again. (The idea was quickly spoiled when my morning snack ended up being a kitkat chunky... I'm working on it)

Lessons 3 and 4 were my A2 Classics lessons, where I got my mock papers back. AND I GOT AN A. I am so happy you would not believe. Considering how poorly I did in History, I was expecting another round of failures, so the A was a fantastic break from the disappointment that this week has been.

Although, I got cornered by my EPQ supervisor on the way to classics, and she told me she wanted everything in for the project by the end of the day. And most of the stuff I had left at home because I thought I wouldn't need it.

you can see why I panicked now, can't you?

Anyway, I spent most of the two and a half hours only partially listening, and instead working on re-writing some sections from scratch just so I could have something to hand in at 4:30... I spent most of lunch stressing and nearly spilling tea on my laptop. Not fun.

Lesson 5: English Literature, and as we'd finished the course yesterday - meaning the rest of our lessons are now to be spent revising - we were given back our mocks!! As there was no grade boundaries for our course, our teachers estimated what they might be, although they admitted they were probably too high.
I got a C! Which I am so proud about, considering I was terrified that I was going to get a U or something (I'm one of the few people I know who have not failed - completely - any of their papers. And by that, I mean obtaining a U, I know I failed with an E, and I am working on that. It's going to be the focus of my revision until June 9th - although it won't be all of it)
Saturday 29th April:

After a lot of sleep lost, today was spent surprisingly being productive.

I spent quite a lot of time organising notes again, throwing out pages of notes that aren't necessary anymore, and then attempting to organising those that were left.

I printed off the specs for each course and each module, using it as a way to structure the notes and how I would revise for each section. It also let me know what areas I missed in revision for the mocks, and that I need to revise more to fully cement my understanding.

I've also found as many mocks as possible from last year, and am planning to go over them tomorrow to find what I did wrong - because I read somewhere (in one of the examiner reports) that marks are now being taken off for wrong information, and I know that I put incorrect dates in my history exam, mainly the Tudor one, but I know it happened in all of them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending