The Student Room Group

Anyone doing AQA A level computer science?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vanguardsean
For paper 1, I am just practising the programming tasks that could come up. I dont think it will be too hard (at least I hope not).

For paper 2, there aren't many practise questions/papers out so I am just trying to learn the theory as thoroughly as I can.

Also, I have been going over last years work as that will be in this years exam as well.

The specimen papers are pretty brutal. How's everyone finding them in comparison to the older, COMP2/COMP3 papers?
Reply 61
Original post by luciferhf
The specimen papers are pretty brutal. How's everyone finding them in comparison to the older, COMP2/COMP3 papers?

To be honest i dont think they where very hard compared to other subjects such as my physics specimen xD however the mergesort on the additional questions was a good question to trace. What did you find most difficult? The COMP3 papers are very good help towards the majority of algorithms and databases practice :biggrin:
How are you guys doing with coursework? Because my deadline is on Monday and my report is looking pretty bad, website isn't functioning due to some errors and I haven't even implemented my database into my codes yet....
Original post by mahmzo
To be honest i dont think they where very hard compared to other subjects such as my physics specimen xD however the mergesort on the additional questions was a good question to trace. What did you find most difficult? The COMP3 papers are very good help towards the majority of algorithms and databases practice :biggrin:

I'll agree with you there, they're definitely not as bad as the other new AQA papers. Without doubt, the SQL & psuedo code questions will remain the hardest questions on the paper.

Overall (Paper-2 specimen & the additional questions) seem to favor applied knowledge. The question on IoT (12 marker) would have probably thrown me the most, need to practice my writing composition for sure.

Have you tried out any of the earlier papers, before 2013, finished all the current resources but I may check out the older papers.
Original post by Joseph....
How are you guys doing with coursework? Because my deadline is on Monday and my report is looking pretty bad, website isn't functioning due to some errors and I haven't even implemented my database into my codes yet....

Finished it quite a while ago. Use the NEA guide if you are not using it already. Include every thing.

DO NOT FORGET TO EVALUATE YOUR INITIAL OBJECTIVES.
Reply 65
I'll agree with you there, they're definitely not as bad as the other new AQA papers. Without doubt, the SQL & psuedo code questions will remain the hardest questions on the paper.

Overall (Paper-2 specimen & the additional questions) seem to favor applied knowledge. The question on IoT (12 marker) would have probably thrown me the most, need to practice my writing composition for sure.

Have you tried out any of the earlier papers, before 2013, finished all the current resources but I may check out the older papers.

yeah the 12 marker i am a little bit worried about. Our teacher hasnt told us how to structure it at all. Also the social and ethical stuff, like it seems easy but idk why it seems i cant right so much about it lol. yeah i have tried papers from 2010 - 2015. Again they all seems reasonable and i am hoping for a similar paper. (However the content has changed between the papers so its kinda annoying).

What do you think an A*/A would be in both papers? (Even though we have not done it yet LOL)
Original post by mahmzo
yeah the 12 marker i am a little bit worried about. Our teacher hasnt told us how to structure it at all. Also the social and ethical stuff, like it seems easy but idk why it seems i cant right so much about it lol. yeah i have tried papers from 2010 - 2015. Again they all seems reasonable and i am hoping for a similar paper. (However the content has changed between the papers so its kinda annoying).

What do you think an A*/A would be in both papers? (Even though we have not done it yet LOL)

Not too sure yet. It's certainly going to be much lower than what it was last year, I'm not sure if you've fully checked out both of the papers but we also have had little to zero help with approaching the essay questions.

Another huge throw off question was the question on big data (where you had to represent the information provided on a graph schema)

There's a huge lack of knowledge of how to approach the specimen papers / much teaching on the additional topics we now need to know in areas like Functional Programming etc.

I'd probably go for the mid 85-86% for an A* IMO. Do you have any idea of there's a set 2 specimen paper? (like how there are for new spec subjects in Econ etc, because god I really hope I get given one @ some point)
Reply 67
Not too sure yet. It's certainly going to be much lower than what it was last year, I'm not sure if you've fully checked out both of the papers but we also have had little to zero help with approaching the essay questions.

Another huge throw off question was the question on big data (where you had to represent the information provided on a graph schema)

There's a huge lack of knowledge of how to approach the specimen papers / much teaching on the additional topics we now need to know in areas like Functional Programming etc.

I'd probably go for the mid 85-86% for an A* IMO. Do you have any idea of there's a set 2 specimen paper? (like how there are for new spec subjects in Econ etc, because god I really hope I get given one @ some point)

No i don't think there is/will be. Again the lack of resources will be reflected upon via the grade boundaries, because at the end of the day we are all in the same position haha.

An A* in previous years has been super high (Like 87 for an A*) i think considering last year an A was around 66% an A* maybe 76-80% . However i cant say much until after the actual exam xD

Good luck!
Original post by mahmzo
No i don't think there is/will be. Again the lack of resources will be reflected upon via the grade boundaries, because at the end of the day we are all in the same position haha.

An A* in previous years has been super high (Like 87 for an A*) i think considering last year an A was around 66% an A* maybe 76-80% . However i cant say much until after the actual exam xD

Good luck!

Seriously? It's that low. I'm aiming for an A* anyway & I was thinking that I'd probably have to score 90% + in both papers assuming I got 100% in the coursework.
Reply 69
Is this the sort of official thread for this subject?

What sort of books or notes / resources do you guys use to revise the content for AS and A2?
Reply 70
Original post by Zentox
Is this the sort of official thread for this subject?

What sort of books or notes / resources do you guys use to revise the content for AS and A2?

Hi, are you doing the A level in CS or the AS?

I use notes created in class, (from powerpoints). Plus the wikibooks online. Its great for notes. And of course past papers!

How about yourself?
Reply 71
Original post by mahmzo
Hi, are you doing the A level in CS or the AS?

I use notes created in class, (from powerpoints). Plus the wikibooks online. Its great for notes. And of course past papers!

How about yourself?

A-Level. I use the AQA Approved textbook and past papers myself too. This years skeleton code though, struggling getting to grips with it! :/ (Python)
Finished it quite a while ago. Use the NEA guide if you are not using it already. Include every thing.

DO NOT FORGET TO EVALUATE YOUR INITIAL OBJECTIVES.

Are you able to look at mine and give me some feedback? Because I gave it to my teacher and he said it was a U...but it's over 160 pages and only worth 20% of my final grade
Reply 73
tbf i am quite interested to see what you have written because I am on 310 pages myself and want to expect B/A, i can only wonder what you have made if you are predicted to get a U with 160 pages.

what is it that you have made?
Reply 74
Mines less than 100 pages and is at an A :colondollar: Who knows how these projects should be marked. What do you think project boundaries will be like?
Original post by Zentox
Mines less than 100 pages and is at an A :colondollar: Who knows how these projects should be marked. What do you think project boundaries will be like?

No way in hell will you get an A with 100 pages. Boundaries are going to be rocket high due to projects exceeding boundaries by insane magnitudes as we are the first year to complete these projects.
Reply 76
No way in hell will you get an A with 100 pages. Boundaries are going to be rocket high due to projects exceeding boundaries by insane magnitudes as we are the first year to complete these projects.

I agree, i believe we had no guidance and people went overboard (Including me lol). Perhaps 68-70 for an A*
Original post by mahmzo
I agree, i believe we had no guidance and people went overboard (Including me lol). Perhaps 68-70 for an A*

Yup. Same here, if not higher for an A*.
Reply 78
I've no clue how my teacher marked then. Moderation will be pleasant for them lol
Original post by Zentox
I've no clue how my teacher marked then. Moderation will be pleasant for them lol

Yup. You will probably end up getting badly hurt by some moderation.

What did you create anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending