The Student Room Group

Is there really a "best" culture?

There are many different types of cultures across the world which do many things differently, some things they do we may not agree with and some things we do they may not agree with but is one really better than the other? If so how is it decided?

For example consider a tribe that puts rings around their necks to stretch them and make their necks longer. To us this is obviously not a good thing to be doing, especially as it is done on children as well but can we really tell them that it's wrong? Who are we to tell them their accepted way of life is wrong?

Every culture thinks their way of doing it is right so naturally we think our way is the best and most correct way but isn't this just us being biased? If a different culture determines aspects of our culture are wrong and bad, does that make it true? Or likewise is it just them being biased?

Where do you stand on this issue? Is one culture really "better" than another?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it is fairly obvious that one can be better than the other in some pretty objective ways: how you treat the vulnerable; levels of equality; fairness (in application of law, opportunity and so on); treatment of minority groupings and all this sort of thing. I'm wary of swaying too far into relativistic claptrap because it can be used to justify all manner of horrors. Of course it starts as bias, but there are ways to mitigate that if you only step back for a minute and have a think.
Various quality of life and happiness indexes. Look at the countries people want to live in.
Yep, Western culture. :h:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994

Western Sheffield?
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Various quality of life and happiness indexes. Look at the countries people want to live in.

How do we know there is correlation between that and culture, rather than it being because it's just a more developed country?

Stop repwhoring.
(edited 7 years ago)
Western Sheffield?

:biggrin:
Reply 7
Nope. The idea that the west is the best is nothing more than the West taking this rhetoric that theyre the heroes of this world whilst decimating half this planet with imperialist forces, benefiting from cheap labour from the rest of the world and slowing down the progress of the rest of the world for 100s of years through colonialism. That's to name just three.
Everyone's obsession with anime and kpop is kinda WOAH so I'd say probably some sort of asian, is what they say. Lolz
Reply 9
I'm merely giving my point of view. D******.

:h:

No, you just read the title and tried to repwhore without reading the OP or answering any points from it.
Original post by Ryū
No, you just read the title and tried to repwhore without reading the OP or answering any points from it.

Think what you like then. :h:
There is no 'best' culture, because people are innately going to be biased towards their own. Best is objective, and there is no objective best culture.
No, I do not believe so. We always judge a culture according to our own culture specific ideals, which are largely subjective and not inherently meaningful or 'better'.
Objectively there is no best culture because as humans we subjectively ascribe value to things which we like.
Original post by Ryū
How do we know there is correlation between that and culture, rather than it being because it's just a more developed country?

Stop repwhoring.

As far as I know there isnt a comparable culture index,. Quality of life or happiness indexes are about the closest you are going to get. Presumably if a population ranks high on the happiness index then their way of doing things must be successful. If you look up the index it is based on a number of factors and not just how much money citizens earn. I dont think Nirvana is far off as the countries which rank highest are predominantly European along with Canada. / ANZAC.
Original post by AishaGirl
There are many different types of cultures across the world which do many things differently, some things they do we may not agree with and some things we do they may not agree with but is one really better than the other? If so how is it decided?

For example consider a tribe that puts rings around their necks to stretch them and make their necks longer. To us this is obviously not a good thing to be doing, especially as it is done on children as well but can we really tell them that it's wrong? Who are we to tell them their accepted way of life is wrong?

Every culture thinks their way of doing it is right so naturally we think our way is the best and most correct way but isn't this just us being biased? If a different culture determines aspects of our culture are wrong and bad, does that make it true? Or likewise is it just them being biased?

Where do you stand on this issue? Is one culture really "better" than another?

What are the qualities of your ideal culture?
I think it depends what we are talking about in terms of culture. If we are talking about the six hour working day vs the 9 hour working day, Potatoes vs Rice Football instead if Basketball etc etc then clearly no culture is superior or worse its just a matter of preference.

If however we are talking freedom of speech human rights tolerance safety etc etc then I am afraid some cultures are better then others.
Original post by staryuuu
Reported. :h:

Aww no. :h:
As far as I know there isnt a comparable culture index,. Quality of life or happiness indexes are about the closest you are going to get. Presumably if a population ranks high on the happiness index then their way of doing things must be successful. If you look up the index it is based on a number of factors and not just how much money citizens earn. I dont think Nirvana is far off as the countries which rank highest are predominantly European along with Canada. / ANZAC.

Magic(al thinking) happens here.
Reply 19
Aww no. :h:

Aww yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending