The Student Room Group

Maths C4 - Integration... Help???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by notnek
Your teacher is correct and taught the topic well. So many teachers don't which is why we get so many students on TSR who think that e.g.

ex2 dx=12xex2+c\displaystyle \int e^{x^2} \ dx = \frac{1}{2x} e^{x^2}+c

Actually makes total sense when you think about it. I was trying to integrate e^(x^2) for like 30 minutes before looking it up and finding out it's impossible. Thing is that if you try do a reverse chain rule where the function inside the bracket is not linear, you're going to divide by another function of x. When you come to differentiate to check if you've got the same answer, you'll have another function to deal with that wouldn't have been there otherwise so not equal. I explained that really poorly but yeah.
Original post by Philip-flop
Ok so all of the integrals can be worked out without the need of having to use Substitution? So Integration by Parts is still in there etc?

I ask because I'm thinking of using it on...

2x(x23)4dx \int 2x(x^2-3)^4 dx

:frown:

You're not too confident with the pattern recognition / inspection methods of integration so you're going to find a lot of the integrals on that sheet very challenging. But actually these recognition/inspection methods aren't required that much in C4 exams. So don't make this the focus of your revision - keep doing as many past papers as you can.

If you can spot the pattern then that's the main thing since once you've spotted it you can either reverse the differentiation (the quickest method) or you can make a substitution for the function whose derivative you can also see in the expression.

E.g. 3x(4x2+3)5 dx\displaystyle \int 3x(4x^2+3)^5 \ dx

You need to notice that 3x3x is a constant away from the derivative of 4x2+34x^2+3 so that means you make a substitution for 4x2+34x^2+3. This works because in the substitution method you find the derivative of 4x2+34x^2+3 and this ends up "cancelling" with the 3x3x.

Or the quickest method is to consider the derivative of (4x2+3)6(4x^2+3)^6 but this takes a lot of practice.
Original post by RDKGames
Substitute u=sin(3x2)u=\sin(3x-2)

Or recognise that it's almost in the form f(x)[f(x)]nf'(x)[f(x)]^n

Oh yes I'm still having trouble using f(x)[f(x)]nf'(x)[f(x)]^n with these types e.g. f(x)=sin3xf(x)=3cosxsin2x f(x) = sin^3 x \Rightarrow f'(x) = 3 cosx sin^2 x

So I managed to work out...
cos(3x2)sin2(3x2)dx \int cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx

=133cos(3x2)sin2(3x2)dx = \frac{1}{3} \int 3cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx

=19sin3(3x2)+c = \frac{1}{9}sin^3 (3x-2) + c

Gonna attempt this by substitution now :smile: I will not be defeated! :tongue:

Edit: @RDKGames Ok, maybe I actually am still confused with the example above! How is cosxsin2x \int cos x sin^2 x classified as a f(x)[f(x)]nf'(x)[f(x)]^n type if the derivative of sin2x sin^2 x is 2cosxsinx 2cos x sinx ??

Wait... I think I see it now, it's cos cosxsin2x \int cos x sin^2 x can be re-written as cosx(sinx)2 \int cos x (sinx)^2 so that fits the f(x)[f(x)]nf'(x)[f(x)]^n criteria, right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh yes I'm still having trouble using f(x)[f(x)]nf'(x)[f(x)]^n with these types e.g. f(x)=sin3xf(x)=3cosxsin2x f(x) = sin^3 x \Rightarrow f'(x) = 3 cosx sin^2 x

So I managed to work out...
cos(3x2)sin2(3x2)dx \int cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx

=133cos(3x2)sin2(3x2)dx = \frac{1}{3} \int 3cos(3x-2)sin^2(3x-2) dx

=19sin3(3x2)+c = \frac{1}{9}sin^3 (3x-2) + c

Gonna attempt this by substitution now :smile: I will not be defeated! :tongue:

Edit: @RDKGames Ok, maybe I actually am still confused with the example above! How is cosxsin2x \int cos x sin^2 x classified as a f(x)[f(x)]nf'(x)[f(x)]^n type if the derivative of sin2x sin^2 x is 2cosxsinx 2cos x sinx ??

You pick sin(x)\sin(x) not sin2(x)\sin^2(x)
You pick sin(x)\sin(x) not sin2(x)\sin^2(x)

Wait... I think I see it now, it's cos cosxsin2x \int cos x sin^2 x can be re-written as cosx(sinx)2 \int cos x (sinx)^2 so that fits the f(x)[f(x)]nf'(x)[f(x)]^n criteria, right?

Yes.
Yes.

I feel so stupid! I spent so long trying to figure this out over something that is actually so so so simple!! Thanks for clearing this up! :smile:

Original post by notnek
You're not too confident with the pattern recognition / inspection methods of integration so you're going to find a lot of the integrals on that sheet very challenging. But actually these recognition/inspection methods aren't required that much in C4 exams. So don't make this the focus of your revision - keep doing as many past papers as you can.

If you can spot the pattern then that's the main thing since once you've spotted it you can either reverse the differentiation (the quickest method) or you can make a substitution for the function whose derivative you can also see in the expression.

E.g. 3x(4x2+3)5 dx\displaystyle \int 3x(4x^2+3)^5 \ dx

You need to notice that 3x3x is a constant away from the derivative of 4x2+34x^2+3 so that means you make a substitution for 4x2+34x^2+3. This works because in the substitution method you find the derivative of 4x2+34x^2+3 and this ends up "cancelling" with the 3x3x.

Or the quickest method is to consider the derivative of (4x2+3)6(4x^2+3)^6 but this takes a lot of practice.

Yeah I'm definitely still trying to get to grips with f(x)[f(x)]n=[f(x)]n+1n+1+cf'(x)[f(x)]^n = \frac{[f(x)]^{n+1}}{n+1} + c

It may take me a while :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah I'm definitely still trying to get to grips with f(x)[f(x)]n=[f(x)]n+1n+1+cf'(x)[f(x)]^n = \frac{[f(x)]^{n+1}}{n+1} + c

It may take me a while :colondollar:

This is what inspection is, in essence.
This is what inspection is, in essence.

Yeah I'm slowly getting the hang of it! I remember when I first came across inspection of f(x)f(x) \int \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} types, I just didn't understand any of it, but I got there in the end :tongue:
So I just attempted Question 5 of Edexcel C4 January 2013 paper and came across a few silly little things I have forgotten such as the fact that d(ax)dx=axlna \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a

But then I came across something that I can't recall ever seeing in my life! axdx=axlna \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}
Why have I never come across this before?!! :frown: :frown: :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
So I just attempted Question 5 of Edexcel C4 January 2013 paper and came across a few silly little things I have forgotten such as the fact that d(ax)dx=axlna \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a

But then I came across something that I can't recall ever seeing in my life! axdx=axlna \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}

They don't come up often, and I think they're in the formula booklet, so it doesn't matter whether you know them or not. Have a go at deriving it yourself so you how it's true and be able to derive it yourself in the exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
They don't come up often, and I think they're in the formula booklet, so it doesn't matter whether you know them or not. Have a go at deriving it yourself so you how it's true and be able to derive it yourself in the exam.

They're not in the formula book for Edexcel (unless I'm being stupid). I know how to prove d(ax)dx=axlna \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a but I have no idea how to prove axdx=axlna \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}

Reality is starting to hit me that I'm not prepared for these exams over the next 2 months :frown:
They're not in the formula book for Edexcel (unless I'm being stupid). I know how to prove d(ax)dx=axlna \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a but I have no idea how to prove axdx=axlna \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}

Reality is starting to hit me that I'm not prepared for these exams over the next 2 months :frown:

Just try different methods. Have a go, see what happens.

Yes when this integral came up it stumped a lot of students.

If you know that the derivative of axa^x is axlnaa^x \ln a then you should be able to reverse this to find the integral of axa^x since lna\ln a is just a constant.

Alternatively, you are given this result in the formula book:

ax=exlnaa^x = e^{x\ln a}

You can use this to find both the derivative and integral of axa^x. Let us know if you're not sure how.

But for the derivative of axa^x it's worth also knowing the proof that involves taking logs of both sides / implicit differentiation since there's a small chance that it would be required in the exam.
Original post by notnek
Yes when this integral came up it stumped a lot of students.

If you know that the derivative of axa^x is axlnaa^x \ln a then you should be able to reverse this to find the integral of axa^x since lna\ln a is just a constant.

Alternatively, you are given this result in the formula book:

ax=exlnaa^x = e^{x\ln a}

You can use this to find both the derivative and integral of axa^x. Let us know if you're not sure how.

But for the derivative of axa^x it's worth also knowing the proof that involves taking logs of both sides / implicit differentiation since there's a small chance that it would be required in the exam.

SHOULD be able to but I don't think I understand how :frown: I can prove d(ax)dx=axlna \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a but I don't know how to prove axdx=axlna \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a} FML why is everything so difficult for me to get my head around? :/

Also I have no idea how ax=exlnaa^x = e^{x\ln a} is linked to the above :frown: :frown: :frown: Seriously feel like giving up this close to the exams!
SHOULD be able to but I don't think I understand how :frown: I can prove d(ax)dx=axlna \frac{d(a^x)}{dx} = a^x ln a but I don't know how to prove axdx=axlna \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a} FML why is everything so difficult for me to get my head around? :/

Also I have no idea how ax=exlnaa^x = e^{x\ln a} is linked to the above :frown: :frown: :frown: Seriously feel like giving up this close to the exams!

Well... you know how to integrate eaxe^{ax} where aa is a constant, so you already know how to integrate exln(a)e^{x\ln(a)}
Well... you know how to integrate eaxe^{ax} where aa is a constant, so you already know how to integrate exln(a)e^{x\ln(a)}

So if...
e2x=12e2x+c \int e^{2x} = \frac{1}{2} e^{2x} + c

then...
exln(a)=1ln(a)exln(a)+c \int e^{xln(a)} = \frac{1}{ln(a)} e^{xln(a)} + c ??? Something tells me I did something wrong there! :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
So if...
e2x=12e2x \int e^{2x} = \frac{1}{2} e^{2x}

then...
exln(a)=1ln(a)exln(a) \int e^{xln(a)} = \frac{1}{ln(a)} e^{xln(a)} ??? Something tells me I did something wrong there! :frown:

Why do you think its wrong?
Why do you think its wrong?

Cos it's not the same format as axdx=axlna \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}

I actually have no idea what I'm talking about right now :frown:
Cos it's not the same format as axdx=axlna \int a^x dx = \frac{a^x}{ln a}

I actually have no idea what I'm talking about right now :frown:

Yes it is. Look at all the information, there is one equality that shows they're both the same.

Quick Reply

Latest