The Student Room Group

Oven Cleaning

How do you clean a oven? Just ordered a brand spanking new electric fan oven and hob any ideas on the best way to clean it? Never cleaned a oven before? Want to do a weekly quick clean to keep it in top top condition :smile:
Original post by Crazy Lizard Lady
How do you clean a oven? Just ordered a brand spanking new electric fan oven and hob any ideas on the best way to clean it? Never cleaned a oven before? Want to do a weekly quick clean to keep it in top top condition :smile:

Quick weekly clean - does it have catalytic liners (these will be dull-looking, slightly rough grey panels on the sides and possibly top of the oven)? If it does have these liners, then every week put the oven on full heat for about an hour - if you regularly have a roast on Sundays, then after this is the ideal time to do it. This will burn off the food which has splattered around the oven - catalytic liners are also called 'self-cleaning'.

If it doesn't have catalytic liners, or in any case for the floor of the oven, you can keep on top of it weekly by spraying the surfaces with something like Mr Muscle oven cleaner (it seems to be the best). Wear stout gloves - it's a very corrosive substance, and avoid inhaling it. Spray it over the surfaces you can (NOT the catalytic liners, chrome or anything else it says on the can to avoid) and leave for about an hour - then just wipe it off with plenty of water and your oven will sparkle! Don't forget the inside of the door, and take the rubber seal off from round the oven and give that a spray too.

For the racks and shelf, it's easiest if you can find a tray which can accommodate the shelf and spray it in there - if you then cover the tray with clingfilm and leave it to soak for a good hour, you should find you can wipe the dirt off easily without having to use a scourer on the rungs and thereby ruining the finish. Finally, clean the exterior with a soft cloth.

To keep the oven floor clean, you can always use an oven liner. However, if your oven has a conventional as well as fan setting (for things like pastry, bread, cakes and anything where you shouldn't use fan-forced cooking), then you must remove the lining if the element is on the top and bottom of the oven - otherwise, you'll end up melting it to the floor of the oven!

Ok, Oven Cleaning Lesson over! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
You are amazing thank you! and my oven will also thank you :smile: I am getting it delived tomorrow so I will check out the Catalyic liners and pick up some mr. Muscle and gloves on my food shop :biggrin:

Thank you
You are amazing thank you! and my oven will also thank you :smile: I am getting it delived tomorrow so I will check out the Catalyic liners and pick up some mr. Muscle and gloves on my food shop :biggrin:

Thank you

You're welcome

After all that, your oven will make Martha Stewart look slovenly! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
After all that, your oven will make Martha Stewart look slovenly! :smile:

Wooo!!!! I just have to keep it up i have a habbit of starting off well with my housework for a few weeks then stacking :colondollar:
Wooo!!!! I just have to keep it up i have a habbit of starting off well with my housework for a few weeks then stacking :colondollar:

haha - good luck with that!
Id clean with vinegar/baking soda solution after a particularly saucy/splattery dish, rather than waiting for it to potentially burn onto the glass or sides/floor.

Mr muscle is strong stuff, i dont like using it often. The smell lingers for a few uses after ive found, but it will get rid of pretty stubborn residue.
I was just about to come and suggest Mr. Muscle! Always does the trick for me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending