The Student Room Group

Going back to study

Basically looking for some guidance... I left college to do an apprenticeship as I was told it was a 'safer' option and I felt pressured into it, now I am at a stage where I do not like my apprenticeship and have very little passion and drive for it, I want to study for A levels and want to go to uni...However I am 19 and almost feel like it's too late or that I would be throwing away an opportunity that I would regret if I go back. I keep feeling like I will regret not going to uni for the rest of my life and need some help deciding if it's a good move, thanks guys!
It's not too late to do A-levels. You could find out about doing A-levels as a private candidate if you don't want to go back to classes.
Reply 2
Original post by dreadzmonkey
Basically looking for some guidance... I left college to do an apprenticeship as I was told it was a 'safer' option and I felt pressured into it, now I am at a stage where I do not like my apprenticeship and have very little passion and drive for it, I want to study for A levels and want to go to uni...However I am 19 and almost feel like it's too late or that I would be throwing away an opportunity that I would regret if I go back. I keep feeling like I will regret not going to uni for the rest of my life and need some help deciding if it's a good move, thanks guys!

DO IT! at least you realised now before you were there too long. Its a bonus you don't like it makes the choice easier. All the best

If you arent happy with where you are then what degree is it you would like to do?:smile:
Original post by claireestelle
If you arent happy with where you are then what degree is it you would like to do?:smile:

I'd like to study in either a field of law, history or psychology, my mind still isn't 100 % decided another reason why I think studying multiple subjects would help me to find which field drives my passion and interests :smile:
I'd like to study in either a field of law, history or psychology, my mind still isn't 100 % decided another reason why I think studying multiple subjects would help me to find which field drives my passion and interests :smile:

have u completed the apprenticeship? it only takes around a two year period to complete alevels. So you could stud the alevels you want and apply as a private candidate. But alevel for all those subjects are very difficult so you might want to go to college for them.
No I haven't I am in the first year and have been doing it for around 7 months and the apprenticeship is 4 years in total...What is a private candidate?

Hi mate if you are not happy in your apprenticeship deffenetly leave. it sounds like you didn't wan't to do it in the first place and it's folly to stay somwhere where you are not happy. At 19 you are not too old for A-levals at all I did A-levals at 19 and it was
fine.

So now you hav two optunateys open to you.

1. Stay in the apprenticeship and accept that you will be in a job you hate for the
rest of you life.

2.Go back to collage doing a subject you enjoy then go to uni and enjoy the next five years of your life and then hopfully find a job that you will enjoy.

it's a no braner really.

Sounds like leaving the apprenticeship and going back to college could be the thing for you, getting some experience in those fields so help you massively.
Original post by New- Emperor
Hi mate if you are not happy in your apprenticeship deffenetly leave. it sounds like you didn't wan't to do it in the first place and it's folly to stay somwhere where you are not happy. At 19 you are not too old for A-levals at all I did A-levals at 19 and it was
fine.

1. Stay in the apprenticeship and accept that you will be in a job you hate for the
rest of you life.

2.Go back to collage doing a subject you enjoy then go to uni and enjoy the next five years of your life and then hopfully find a job that you will enjoy.

it's a no braner really.

That's a pretty good way of putting it... Thanks for the advice man really appreciate it :smile:
Hello!

It's totally ok to think you made a mistake or to change your mind and think about doing something else and that's definitely something you can do! I know a friend of mine who dropped out of school and after some time went back to school, got really good grades and now is currently studying at Cambridge!
I'm sure you can do the same! At the very least, you can always choose to do something else afterwards, when you'll be more mature and more knowledgeable, too :wink:
Original post by New- Emperor
fine.

rest of you life.

it's a no braner really.

I'm afraid you misspelled no-brainer (no braner).
Sounds like leaving the apprenticeship and going back to college could be the thing for you, getting some experience in those fields so help you massively.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, just keep feeling anxious about dropping the apprenticeship for some reason but I definately do want to study and get degrees
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, just keep feeling anxious about dropping the apprenticeship for some reason but I definately do want to study and get degrees

Is it a company you could work at part time still if it's money that's worrying you ?
Original post by seefalls
Hello!

It's totally ok to think you made a mistake or to change your mind and think about doing something else and that's definitely something you can do! I know a friend of mine who dropped out of school and after some time went back to school, got really good grades and now is currently studying at Cambridge!
I'm sure you can do the same! At the very least, you can always choose to do something else afterwards, when you'll be more mature and more knowledgeable, too :wink:

Hey!
Good to hear it worked out for your friend, You make a good point it's definitely more for me to think about... thank you :smile:
Is it a company you could work at part time still if it's money that's worrying you ?

There are part time jobs but getting one can be hard especially one that pays well... money is a concern as I have expenses such as car insurance and rent etc...
There are part time jobs but getting one can be hard especially one that pays well... money is a concern as I have expenses such as car insurance and rent etc...

There might be so around your other option is to go to evening classes I suppose
What is a private candidate?

You don't go to classes. Just turn up for the exam. It's simplest when the A-level is examined by exam only. It's trickier when coursework is involved. Check out the exam board specifications to see which subjects are exam only.

On the other hand, you may prefer coursework. There are centres that can facilitate private candidates for coursework also.

A-levels are in a process of change so check the dates for which spec you are looking at.
Have you thought about doing an Access course? They run them at colleges, usually over a year, if you do really well they can be used to get in to top universities :-)
Update: I've just had an offer from Bristol uni, with Access to HE, I've got no A levels :-)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest