The Student Room Group

Difficult Maths Question

I have a difficult maths question and was wondering whether somebody could talk me through it, if you are interested in helping somebody who is in a real neeeeeeeeeed please message me :smile: Topic: Coordinates, Geometry, Bearings...

All in 1 Question lol

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QwertyBio
I have a difficult maths question and was wondering whether somebody could talk me through it, if you are interested in helping somebody who is in a real neeeeeeeeeed please message me :smile: Topic: Coordinates, Geometry, Bearings...

All in 1 Question lol

thanks

I've moved this to the maths forum, where hopefully you'll get some help.

However, it's better that you just post the question rather than ask for PMs.

All in 1 Question lol

thanks

Post them here. What are the questions?

All in 1 Question lol

thanks

Post question please.
Reply 4

All in 1 Question lol

thanks

Yes, it's always better to post questions here. You are more likely to get a response, and mistakes are more likely to be spotted :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
MATHS.PNG

Thanks for the responses guys,

This is the maths question, its part of a mock exam but most likely questions like this are going to come up, please if anybody can solve this and show working out, it would be a great help!
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
I've moved this to the maths forum, where hopefully you'll get some help.

However, it's better that you just post the question rather than ask for PMs.

Thanks for the heads up friend!
Reply 7
Original post by Syed Institute
Post question please.

Posted!
Reply 8
MATHS.PNG

Thanks for the responses guys,

This is the maths question, its part of a mock exam but most likely questions like this are going to come up, please if anybody can solve this and show working out, it would be a great help!

Great. So now you need to post your working to let the good people here guide you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
Great. So now you need to post your working to let the good people here guide you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm finding it difficult to even start this, I tried converting the bearings to decimal degrees and going from there but I'm not sure on how to move forward from that!
Reply 10
Anybody manage to get an idea?
Anybody manage to get an idea?

What level is this question? A-Level or GCSE??
Reply 12
Original post by RDKGames
X

Lol you ask him to post the Q but you don't seem ready to help. Is geometry not your strong points?
Original post by Boswell
Lol you ask him to post the Q but you don't seem ready to help. Is geometry not your strong points?

I am doing the question right now though...
Reply 14
This is uni work but first year - and majority is a level work. Just not understanding how to go about doing this, thanks to everyone who is trying
Reply 15
Original post by Boswell

DAMN best rap album in the last ten years? Pure fire
Reply 16
I'm finding it difficult to even start this, I tried converting the bearings to decimal degrees and going from there but I'm not sure on how to move forward from that!

Can you work out the co-ordinates of the circle's centre and the circle's radius?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by RichE
Can you work out the co-ordinates of the circle's centre and the circle's radius?

I'm not understanding what the type of equation given is. If it's already in the correct form, would you not square root the 96.25 to get the radius?
This is uni work but first year - and majority is a level work. Just not understanding how to go about doing this, thanks to everyone who is trying

Okay fair enough. The numbers are disgusting but its doable. The key thing here is that the arc length is given by rθr\theta where rr is the radius, and the θ\theta is the angle of the arc.

That diagram is extremely messy so here's the simple version:

Have a go at finding finding this angle, it really isn't anything difficult, just time consuming and the numbers aren't very nice.
I'm not understanding what the type of equation given is. If it's already in the correct form, would you not square root the 96.25 to get the radius?

No... the equation of the circle is (xa)2+(yb)2=r2(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2 where you read off the coordinates of the centre and radius.

Quick Reply

Latest