The Student Room Group

Deciding on my choices - Neuroscience

Hey there, I'm an EU student from Spain and I will be studying neuroscience starting this september, but I still don't know where! :frown:

I have offers from Manchester, King's and UCL. Manchester is the cheapest one in terms of living costs. UCL is the best ranked but it gives me the idea of being the most difficult one and, taking into account that English is not my first language, I think I may be in disadvantage. King's seems great but I think I may regret choosing it instead of UCL since UCL is better in neuroscience.

Any help in making a decision would be appreciated!
Original post by FlaffaD
Hey there, I'm an EU student from Spain and I will be studying neuroscience starting this september, but I still don't know where! :frown:

I have offers from Manchester, King's and UCL. Manchester is the cheapest one in terms of living costs. UCL is the best ranked but it gives me the idea of being the most difficult one and, taking into account that English is not my first language, I think I may be in disadvantage. King's seems great but I think I may regret choosing it instead of UCL since UCL is better in neuroscience.

Have you looked at the course content? Not all courses (speaking in general) will offer the same modules or opportunities.

You'll be living there for the next 3 years+. Have you done some research (if you can't visit the places) on what the areas are like?
Reply 2
Original post by FlaffaD

A tip - disregard the language side of your problem. You will get used to English so quickly that you will have troubles realizing it :smile:
Original post by Mieleki
A tip - disregard the language side of your problem. You will get used to English so quickly that you will have troubles realizing it :smile:

Oh, the gentle irony...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Oh, the gentle irony...

Posted from TSR Mobile

What is wrong? :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
Have you looked at the course content? Not all courses (speaking in general) will offer the same modules or opportunities.

You'll be living there for the next 3 years+. Have you done some research (if you can't visit the places) on what the areas are like?

Yes, I did. KCL's course content seems more interesting than UCL's, but I can't tell for sure since I'm unable to find detailed information about each module in those two universities. I'm not sure either about the final year project: at UCL is "Individually-supervised Experimental Project" and at King's I can choose between "Neuroscience - Laboratory research", "Neuroscience and neuropsychology" and "Neuroscience - Literature and practical topics". Now, since I'm also interested in psychology, the "Neuroscience and neuropsychology" project seems far more interesting than "Individually-supervised Experimental Project". Maybe I should just contact tutors from both unis to get more information about the course content.

I like Manchester as well but I prefer the London unis.

About the places, I can't visit them but I have watched some videos and I liked the London environment. It's really different from where I live now but I think I will get used to it. :smile:

Thank you for answering!
Reply 6
Original post by Mieleki

Thank you! But that still scares me a little bit :frown:
Original post by FlaffaD
Yes, I did. KCL's course content seems more interesting than UCL's, but I can't tell for sure since I'm unable to find detailed information about each module in those two universities. I'm not sure either about the final year project: at UCL is "Individually-supervised Experimental Project" and at King's I can choose between "Neuroscience - Laboratory research", "Neuroscience and neuropsychology" and "Neuroscience - Literature and practical topics". Now, since I'm also interested in psychology, the "Neuroscience and neuropsychology" project seems far more interesting than "Individually-supervised Experimental Project". Maybe I should just contact tutors from both unis to get more information about the course content.

I like Manchester as well but I prefer the London unis.

About the places, I can't visit them but I have watched some videos and I liked the London environment. It's really different from where I live now but I think I will get used to it. :smile:

Thank you for answering!

I can only speak on behalf of UCL for this one, I don't know anything about Kings' module content. Furthermore, this is subject to change each year based on students' feedback.

In first year, all modules are compulsory. You take Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Chemistry for Biology Students, Introduction to Neuroscience and Foundations of Neurobiology in first term. Then Intro and Foundations of Neuro overlap into second term, in which you also take Cells and Development, Introduction to Genetics and Mammalian Physiology.

Breaking down the modules into overall topics:

Biochemistry and Molecular Biology

The cell and molecular biology

Proteins and Enzymes

Metabolism

Chemistry for Biologists

Structure

Spectroscopy

Thermodynamics

Ions

Kinetics

Introduction to Neuroscience