The Student Room Group

TSR Web Legend - Chelsea is (possibly) a Web Legend!

Hello! So, thanks to the lovely people at TSR and EcoHosting, I have a website package. I've always wanted a website that I could be a bit more technical with, unlike my portfolio website host which only allows me to use a tiny bit of very soft visual programming, so I'm hoping to dig a little deeper here.

I will update as I go along. Good luck to everyone else!

Edit: Now that I have a website up and running, visit it here!

This blog is part of the TSR Web Legend competition. For more info about how to enter (and maybe win a Macbook), visit this page.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Okay, I started! I didn't want to throw myself into making a random website, because I really want to give this a good shot. I want to narrow down exactly what I want this website to be. Where do I begin then?...

Mind maps!

Here's my first:

(edited 6 years ago)
Okay, we have another mind map!

I'm really starting to figure out what I want my website to really be about, and what I want to do with it. I've also decided on a domain, so I'm just waiting on that to be sorted so I can move on forward!
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Okay, we have another mind map!

I'm really starting to figure out what I want my website to really be about, and what I want to do with it. I've also decided on a domain, so I'm just waiting on that to be sorted so I can move on forward!

*is
:wink:
how exciting :woo:
[scroll]:rave: BEST OF LUCK CHELSEA!!! :rave:[/scroll]
Just waiting for my domain to be enabled and I am good to go!

I'll be as productive as I can while I'm waiting and get more notes and stuff sorted. Update soon!
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
*is
:wink:
how exciting :woo:
[scroll]:rave: BEST OF LUCK CHELSEA!!! :rave:[/scroll]

Thank youuuuu!

And we're active! This is super exciting. It's the first time I've ever had my own domain. I'm going to have a play around, see what I can do, and report back later!
Started on a home page, but the host is having some technical issues at the moment so I can't access my website. Hopefully it'll be back up tomorrow so I can show you what I've been up to!
Reply 8
Hehehe we both did mind maps
And we're both helping students
And we both finished GCSEs in the same year, and got the same number of A*-C
And we both took/are taking a level 3 Extended Diploma, and are taking/ have taken a gap year, and are both starting uni on 2017
And we're both bi and we both like cats
And I'm going to study in Hull, in Yorkshire

We must be twins

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Subbing! Would be interested to know what platform you end up using :biggrin:
Original post by Paracosm
Subbing! Would be interested to know what platform you end up using :biggrin:

Playing around with Wordpress at the moment but it's not for me. Any recommendations would be great! :tongue:
Playing around with Wordpress at the moment but it's not for me. Any recommendations would be great! :tongue:

Oh damn, I love WP! :gasp:

There's loads of other similar platforms you could dabble with… but it depends on what you want. Do you want a simple blog or do you want the possibility for more expansion (i.e. a fully-fledged CMS)?

What about a forum? Would you consider one of those? Perhaps using phpBB or SMF or something like that, that could be cool!
Original post by Paracosm
Oh damn, I love WP! :gasp:

There's loads of other similar platforms you could dabble with… but it depends on what you want. Do you want a simple blog or do you want the possibility for more expansion (i.e. a fully-fledged CMS)?

What about a forum? Would you consider one of those? Perhaps using phpBB or SMF or something like that, that could be cool!

I like it, it's just not what I'm looking for this time around :biggrin: I want something that can handle a directory kind of thing. Think like the NHS choices website, where there's a lot of different pages. A bit like wiki I guess, but something with more freedom than wikimedia. I don't want to make things too difficult for myself, but definitely not blogging or anything like that with this one so not looking for something specific for it. Happy with some coding, can cope with HTML and CSS, also done some Java that I can brush up on and learn other basics as I go. Think NHS Choices meets Yelp :laugh:
Original post by Kyx
Hehehe we both did mind maps
And we're both helping students
And we both finished GCSEs in the same year, and got the same number of A*-C
And we both took/are taking a level 3 Extended Diploma, and are taking/ have taken a gap year, and are both starting uni on 2017
And we're both bi and we both like cats
And I'm going to study in Hull, in Yorkshire

We must be twins

Posted from TSR Mobile

All good apart from the last bit, because I'm hoping to be studying out of Yorkshire :tongue:
Reply 14
All good apart from the last bit, because I'm hoping to be studying out of Yorkshire :tongue:

West Midlands? Then we'd truly be twins :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
West Midlands? Then we'd truly be twins :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

East midlands :tongue:
Reply 16
East midlands :tongue:

Close enough :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I played around with a bunch of different platforms, but I'm settled back to Wordpress. It's the one I have the most experience with, and because my idea is a lot more complicated than I probably should've made it, it'll give me the best chance. Because it's so common and so many people are familiar with it, I imagine it'll be easier to get help when things go wrong.

To start with, I've just created a bunch of pages. There's nothing on them yet, but they exist and they're in the right places. I've created a page for pretty much every university in the UK so that information on things like campus accessibility, student services details, accommodation accessibility etc can go on them. It's brought me to 150 pages :headfire:

This project is definitely going to be one that takes time, but I genuinely believe it will be worth it in the end. This is exactly the kind of resource that I needed when I was looking for and applying to universities, so hopefully other students in my position in the future won't have to go through the hassle that I did
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey @chelseadagg3r, loving the website idea :smile:
Reply 19
Really like the fact that you are creating something that you wish you had had. Will be interesting to see where you take this and I look forward to following along :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest