The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Biomedical Science at Edinburgh University

I've got a place at Edinburgh for Biomedical science and I was wondering if anyone has hall recommendations? I'm not sure which campus I'll be spending more time in so I'm not sure which campus to stay closer to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Whambamitsleanne
I've got a place at Edinburgh for Biomedical science and I was wondering if anyone has hall recommendations? I'm not sure which campus I'll be spending more time in so I'm not sure which campus to stay closer to?

I'm moving this to the Edinburgh forum for you. You may want to see if there's anyone doing your course on here to talk to as well.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2

Hi. I have a place at Edinburgh for Medical Sciences and I heard that most of the lectures are in the King's Buildings but some are in George Square too. I'm guessing that its the same for Biomedical Science too.
I still applied to Portsburgh and Brae House as my first 2 options even though they are further away from King's. There is a shuttle bus from George Square to King's or you could walk which i've heard takes about 30 minutes. :smile:
Original post by celinew
Hi. I have a place at Edinburgh for Medical Sciences and I heard that most of the lectures are in the King's Buildings but some are in George Square too. I'm guessing that its the same for Biomedical Science too.
I still applied to Portsburgh and Brae House as my first 2 options even though they are further away from King's. There is a shuttle bus from George Square to King's or you could walk which i've heard takes about 30 minutes. :smile:

Thanks! That makes sense that Medical Sciences and Biomedical Sciences would be the same, I was thinking of applying to Portsburgh as well:smile:
Reply 4
Thanks! That makes sense that Medical Sciences and Biomedical Sciences would be the same, I was thinking of applying to Portsburgh as well:smile:

I haven't heard of many people interested in Portsburgh! :smile: I thought the pictures of the accommodation looked nice and the rooms have en-suites :h: I've applied already but we won't hear back until May
Original post by celinew
I haven't heard of many people interested in Portsburgh! :smile: I thought the pictures of the accommodation looked nice and the rooms have en-suites :h: I've applied already but we won't hear back until May

Yeah I liked the look of it as well I just applied for accommodation today an drew it's my second choice so I might get it, I put Deaconess as my first choice😊
Reply 6
Hey! I've been given an offer for biomedical sciences too! You perhaps already know that you need to apply for 5 accommodations. I've chosen: Deaconess, Brae House, Portsburgh Court, Darroch Court, and Fraser Court (Deaconess is my first choice).
Original post by edgr
Hey! I've been given an offer for biomedical sciences too! You perhaps already know that you need to apply for 5 accommodations. I've chosen: Deaconess, Brae House, Portsburgh Court, Darroch Court, and Fraser Court (Deaconess is my first choice).

Thanks for replying😊 Yeah I found out that I needed five choices when I tried to apply, then I had to go back and find another 3. Mine are Deaconess, Portsburgh Court, South Clerk street, Blackfriars street and New Arthur's place. I'm glad I've found someone else doing Biomedical Science😂😊
Reply 8
Yeah I liked the look of it as well I just applied for accommodation today an drew it's my second choice so I might get it, I put Deaconess as my first choice😊

I just changed one of my preferences and I applied to Portsburgh, Brae House, Deaconess, Salisbury and Blackfriars. On the website it says that we'll hear back in May or June. :smile:

Original post by edgr

Congratulations! :h: I haven't heard of anyone else doing Biomedical sciences or Medical Science so far either!
Reply 9
Original post by celinew
I just changed one of my preferences and I applied to Portsburgh, Brae House, Deaconess, Salisbury and Blackfriars. On the website it says that we'll hear back in May or June. :smile:

Congratulations! :h: I haven't heard of anyone else doing Biomedical sciences or Medical Science so far either!

I've firmed up my offer for medical science too! It's so difficult to find people doing med sciences and not biomed though, I know it's a small course! Well done btw :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by heatheerx
I've firmed up my offer for medical science too! It's so difficult to find people doing med sciences and not biomed though, I know it's a small course! Well done btw :smile:

Congratulations!:smile: Definitely, you are the first person I've come across doing medical scienc!. Thanks:smile: Where are you from? I'm from Scotland and i'm on my 'gap year' right now, minus the travelling!
Original post by celinew
Congratulations!:smile: Definitely, you are the first person I've come across doing medical scienc!. Thanks:smile: Where are you from? I'm from Scotland and i'm on my 'gap year' right now, minus the travelling!

I'm from Scotland too, from not too far outside Edinburgh actually. But far enough that I'm guaranteed a place in halls! Yeah i haven't really seen anyone else post about this specific course. Where in Scotland are you from?
For the biomedical science you will be split between the two campus'. I would recommend choosing accommodation carefully, picking more central ones to make it easier to get to both central and the Kings campus. In my first year I was in halls that I had to get a 40 minute bus ride to my 9am lectures. Also even if you put some of the far out ones low down on your choices you can still be put in them!!
Reply 13
I'm from Scotland too, from not too far outside Edinburgh actually. But far enough that I'm guaranteed a place in halls! Yeah i haven't really seen anyone else post about this specific course. Where in Scotland are you from?

That's great! I've seen a few posts from people who are already in their third or fourth year of Med sci and they seem to really enjoy it. I'm from Inverness. Just got an offer for Brae House today. It's quite far away from King's but there is always a shuttle bus i guess!
Original post by celinew
That's great! I've seen a few posts from people who are already in their third or fourth year of Med sci and they seem to really enjoy it. I'm from Inverness. Just got an offer for Brae House today. It's quite far away from King's but there is always a shuttle bus i guess!

I'm glad! I think it looks like a good course. How did you get notification of the offer - email? Also do you just get offered one? I have no idea what to expect, the website doesn't give away much. And yes, the shuttle buses will come in handy!
Reply 15
I'm glad! I think it looks like a good course. How did you get notification of the offer - email? Also do you just get offered one? I have no idea what to expect, the website doesn't give away much. And yes, the shuttle buses will come in handy!

Same, I'm looking forward to it. I got an email with the accommodation contract attached to it. I logged onto MyEd and accepted the contract there. Have you applied yet? You have to make 5 choices in order of preference and the accommodation team will try to allocate you a room from those choices. I was allocated a room in Brae House and I hope to go and see one of the rooms before September.
Hi Robyn, Can you give me your thoughts on South Clerk as a location for study Biomeds? I'm not sure if here or Kincaids Court would be better! Choices at the moment are between South Clerk, Sciences, Kincaids Court, Deconess and Salisbury Court. Not fussed on Fraser Court! Late applier!Thank you, you input and experience would be greatly appreciated
Hi Robyn, Can you give me your thoughts on South Clerk as a location for study Biomeds? I'm not sure if here or Kincaids Court would be better! Choices at the moment are between South Clerk, Sciences, Kincaids Court, Deconess and Salisbury Court. Not fussed on Fraser Court! Late applier!
Thank you, you input and experience would be greatly appreciated

Original post by robyncampbell98
For the biomedical science you will be split between the two campus'. I would recommend choosing accommodation carefully, picking more central ones to make it easier to get to both central and the Kings campus. In my first year I was in halls that I had to get a 40 minute bus ride to my 9am lectures. Also even if you put some of the far out ones low down on your choices you can still be put in them!!

Original post by robyncampbell98
Original post by celinew
Same, I'm looking forward to it. I got an email with the accommodation contract attached to it. I logged onto MyEd and accepted the contract there. Have you applied yet? You have to make 5 choices in order of preference and the accommodation team will try to allocate you a room from those choices. I was allocated a room in Brae House and I hope to go and see one of the rooms before September.

So I'm in Brae House too! Handy because it's close to my work, but it's a bit further from the campuses. Yeah I'd like to go and view it as well. Yay!
Reply 19
So I'm in Brae House too! Handy because it's close to my work, but it's a bit further from the campuses. Yeah I'd like to go and view it as well. Yay!

Yay congrats! True but we'll make it work somehow! Are you already in the Brae House group chat or do you want me to add you?😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending