The Student Room Group

How much more stressful is A2 compared to AS?

How many more hours did you spend studying each day in the 2nd year?

I'd like to know your subjects too.

Scroll to see replies

The year is mostly more stressful because you apply to uni, apply for finance while studying, applying for finance is really stressful. As for subjects I've got to stage of feeling so stressed I cried when I got a B on my mock because I need an A.

(I study a btec in sport so I have all coursework for that and an A level in biology)
Reply 2
Original post by Ellie419
The year is mostly more stressful because you apply to uni, apply for finance while studying, applying for finance is really stressful. As for subjects I've got to stage of feeling so stressed I cried when I got a B on my mock because I need an A.

(I study a btec in sport so I have all coursework for that and an A level in biology)

Crikey - so you apply for your student loans and that in Year 13? I do A Level Biology too, it's an absolute pain.

How does student finance work?
Original post by honour
Crikey - so you apply for your student loans and that in Year 13? I do A Level Biology too, it's an absolute pain.

Yeah, you apply for student loans at the end of february, just when you want to focus on studying.

As for a-level biology, chapters 14 and 15 are pretty evil. Good luck.
Original post by CraigBackner
How does student finance work?

You have to have a firm choice uni when you apply, you give your details and course details and then your parents have to create accounts to give details of their income for the previous tax year, in order to work out how much you get for maintenance loan.

In my case my maintenance loan is £2000 short of what I'll need for the year so I'm sort or scrambling to save up money.
Original post by honour

I don't know if anything's changed since I was in Year 13 (two years ago), but the student loan process was completely straightforward for me. I applied after my summer exams.
You have to have a firm choice uni when you apply, you give your details and course details and then your parents have to create accounts to give details of their income for the previous tax year, in order to work out how much you get for maintenance loan.

In my case my maintenance loan is £2000 short of what I'll need for the year so I'm sort or scrambling to save up money.

whats maintenance loan
I studied on average 2 more hours per week for each subject (maths, physics and geology) whilst also taking a EPQ which took a hell of a lot of time. Reason I spent so much time was because I was taking my subjects more seriously (and it paid off), you will also put a lot of time into uni application as well.
whats maintenance loan

You have two loans, tuition fee loan (which covers whatever the uni charges for the course, typically around £9000) and the maintenance loan which is for living costs, like rent and food, in my case my maintenance loan won't even cover my rent because it is based of my parents income, but doesn't take into account their debts such as mortgages and car loans.
Original post by honour

My friends in A2 seem to have much more of a social life than my friends in AS if that means anything
whats maintenance loan

The maintenance loan is the money that a student receives (as opposed to the fees loan which goes directly to your university) and is what you live on so it covers rent, food, travel etc.

How much you receive for your maintenance loan depends on your parents income, the more they earn the less you get.
whats maintenance loan

When you to uni, you get two loans.

The obvious one is the tuition loan, to cover the ~£9000 tuition fees.

The other is your maintenance loan. The amount you get for this is based on your parents income.

This loan is for stuff such as your accommodation rent, food, nights out, text books, etc

The unfortunate thing about the maintenance loan is that is not actually likely to cover how much you need.

For example, I will get £4000 for it, but my accommodation going to cost £4800, and then I will need another £1000 to £1500 for food and other supplies, meaning my loan is around £2000 short of what I need.

This leads to many students getting a part time job while at university.
I did Psychology, Sociology and English Literature to A2 and Biology to AS - I would say I spent around 3 hours a night working for my AS years, and probably about 8 hours during the day over the course of a week (so in frees and stuff).

For A2 up until study leave I worked in every free (10 hours a week) and then from 4-6, 7-9 every evening. When I went on study leave, I started working at 8 and stopped at about 9/10 every night - with breaks in between, so I averaged around 11 hours a day once school had finished.

I really struggled with AS and ended up repeating year 12, but I found year 13 even more stressful - and threatened to drop out every 5 minutes :wink: but in the end I got good grades (AAB) so I was pleased - it made it feel worth it!

As for student finance, its not that stressful a process really - you just fill it all in online and they process it, tell you how much you'll get, and then you sign and it's sorted basically. The application process only took me around half an hour I think really, so not too bad! :smile:

Don't worry, Biology makes me cry too! As if there wasn't already enough content at AS but now we're expected to remember twice as much! It's very difficult not only to remember the content but also learn the right exam technique! What exam board are you on btw?
Original post by Philip-flop
Don't worry, Biology makes me cry too! As if there wasn't already enough content at AS but now we're expected to remember twice as much! It's very difficult not only to remember the content but also learn the right exam technique! What exam board are you on btw?

AQA. The thing is when I cried after my mock my friends had gotten D's and E's and I cried over a B because my firm choice uni (Loughborough) has asked for an A and its my dream uni.

You have two loans, tuition fee loan (which covers whatever the uni charges for the course, typically around £9000) and the maintenance loan which is for living costs, like rent and food, in my case my maintenance loan won't even cover my rent because it is based of my parents income, but doesn't take into account their debts such as mortgages and car loans.

Original post by hhealey13
The maintenance loan is the money that a student receives (as opposed to the fees loan which goes directly to your university) and is what you live on so it covers rent, food, travel etc.

How much you receive for your maintenance loan depends on your parents income, the more they earn the less you get.

Original post by Hopson97
When you to uni, you get two loans.

The obvious one is the tuition loan, to cover the ~£9000 tuition fees.

The other is your maintenance loan. The amount you get for this is based on your parents income.

This loan is for stuff such as your accommodation rent, food, nights out, text books, etc

The unfortunate thing about the maintenance loan is that is not actually likely to cover how much you need.

For example, I will get £4000 for it, but my accommodation going to cost £4800, and then I will need another £1000 to £1500 for food and other supplies, meaning my loan is around £2000 short of what I need.

This leads to many students getting a part time job while at university.

since so many people don't have enough money, how do people survive? if uni is going to be a struggle like this, then forget going

and what about if you go to oxbridge because your not allowed to have a job while studying so what do you do?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
since so many people don't have enough money, how do people survive? if uni is going to be a struggle like this, then forget going

and what about if you go to oxbridge because your not allowed to have a job while studying so what do you do?

Spoiler

Some parents pay for them.

Other people save up money before going (Often on a gap year) and then work during summers and over holidays while at uni.

Other people just work at uni.
Original post by honour

More stressful due to uni applications, interviews ect.

In terms of work, I've found it easier. Whilst the content is marginally harder, the gap is much less than GCSE-AS and you can use last years mistakes/experience to do better this year.

Also i got drop to drop a subject (Physics) which i didn't enjoy and knew for most of the year that it was going to be dropped.
Taking Bio, Chem and Maths.
AQA. The thing is when I cried after my mock my friends had gotten D's and E's and I cried over a B because my firm choice uni (Loughborough) has asked for an A and its my dream uni.

Mocks are mocks though, you still have plenty of time to get a decent grade a test the end of all this. Me on the other hand... :frown: so yeah, any revision/study tips would be majorly appreciated! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest