The Student Room Group

Plagirism

Hi all,

I know this topic has been done to death but I am curious to know from other people if I have plagiarised.

I have a poster presentation and premise of a theory I reworded was from a paper I read that gives a general background on it and I cited the paper I read it from. Furthermore, the paper supported the findings of the theory. However, I did not cite the original work . From all the papers I have read they have all gave the same description of the theory and cited the paper.

Two questions:

Is this plagirism - even though I am not passing the work off as my own, I have cited the work I found the theory in.

and

As all papers have said the premise of the theory exists, could it be considered common knowledge?
Reply 1
Original post by Cell_D
Hi all,

I know this topic has been done to death but I am curious to know from other people if I have plagiarised.

I have a poster presentation and premise of a theory I reworded was from a paper I read that gives a general background on it and I cited the paper I read it from. Furthermore, the paper supported the findings of the theory. However, I did not cite the original work . From all the papers I have read they have all gave the same description of the theory and cited the paper.

Two questions:

Is this plagirism - even though I am not passing the work off as my own, I have cited the work I found the theory in.

and

As all papers have said the premise of the theory exists, could it be considered common knowledge?

I think it should be fine as long as you cited the work from where you quoted or used the information from. If that source used information from another piece of work then I don't believe it would be necessary for you to include that, that would probably be up to them to cite it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending