The Student Room Group

Losing stomach fat- Advice please!

Okay so I need a wee bit of help!

Basically I’ve started this new healthy eating diet in order to lose weight ect ect, and have lost weight in the past week too.

And living in an area where you have to walk everywhere, my only exercise is walking a two hours to uni and back (an hour to and an hour back) atm (so I’ve got muscley legs now due to basketball and alot of walking uphills ect but no difference in my upper body at all)

(I used to play basketball twice a week but due to my rotator cuff tendonitis bugging me again- I haven’t played in a few weeks, and any quick movement irritates my shoulder and inflames it making it sore af)

Im trying to get rid of body fat basically- I don’t like my stomach and want to do something about it. (Also have my Coach's wedding in the summer so need to fit into that dress :colondollar:

Saw this video earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8YEuyIdR0A

Just wanted to know if this will help?
and what can i do to start losing weight on my stomach or upperbody and fixing this issue of mine?

Any advice will be mucho appreciated! Or just point me in the right direction of where to start! idk how much info i needed to give but pleeeeasse help me out!!

Thaannnk yoou! :colondollar:
You cant spot reduce. You need a calorie defict. Weights help you retain muscle as you lose weight.
I am trying to lose belly fat as well. What I have found is that it is a mixture of dieting and exercise, you do need a calorie deficit and that is probably the hardest bit. You should do weights although don't go overboard as they will help you retain muscle from exercising and even though muscle training of your core can reduce the appearance of belly fat, it is not really getting rid of it.
No amount of crunches or ab exercises will burn stomach fat. We store fat as fuel for times of famine, it's not going to start falling off just because the muscle beneath it is worked :lol: So you need to lose weight overall, and the only way to do that is to be in a caloric deficit. So eat less and move more is the solution.
Original post by 999tigger
You cant spot reduce. You need a calorie defict. Weights help you retain muscle as you lose weight.

Hmm okay I see, well ive been using MFP to cut calories for the past week, so im down to 1200 calories a day and sometimes i forget to eat so end up skipping meals too.
So far I’ve lost a pound in just a week- I hope I keep on losing the weight.

What kind of exercises should I be doing to reduce this down then? i cant really use weights because of my rotator cuff as said in the original post- physio has banned me from doing anything with my arm overall apart from the simple strenghting exersises hes given me
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CleverSquirrel
Hmm okay I see, well ive been using MFP to cut calories for the past week, so im down to 1200 calories a day and sometimes i forget to eat so end up skipping meals too.
So far I’ve lost a pound in just a week- I hope I keep on losing the weight.

What kind of exercises should I be doing to reduce this down then? i cant really use weights because of my rotator cuff as said in the original post- physio has banned me from doing anything with my arm overall apart from the simple strenghting exersises hes given me

Its late for this and i need sleep.
I dont know your stats but1200 is the absolute min for most people and 100 is more manageable.

Read the stickies here or hang out on the MFP forums

You should ask your physio, but it wouldnt prevent lower body exercises.
You will also need to rehabilitate your rotator cuff, which will require rest and ice until it becomes more stable.

I know its awkward as ive had RC issues and for the most part you will need to be patient as well. just keep moving as much as possible. Presumably it is only one shoulder thats affected? you could still train the other side.

Sorry its a bit later for me. Hopefully woody is still around and he can help you out.. Its about the 20th post ive responded to today.

@WoodyMKC.
you gotta lose weight overall like @woodymkc said, do more cardio, jog back from uni instead of walking ?
Thank you for creating this thread. This is the same issue that i have haha
the best one ive found is swimming.

But stomach fat is the hardest to get rid of
Okay so I've done a lot of research on this, one of the most important things is DO NOT starve yourself. That won't lead to sustainable wait loss. Also, excercize is really only a small portion of it. The main things is cutting out fats and more importantly, sugars. That means getting rid of all that hyper processed junk and switching to a more natural diet. When possible, maximize all natural ingredients. For ideas, I highly recommend checking out the books Everyday Detox and No Excuses Detox. While some of the stuff is quite frankly gross, it can give you some ideas about switching to a mostly or all natural diet. Hope this helped!
Situps and push ups every morning will help a lot.
the thing is though is that ive cut down my calories alot - to 1200 a day now for the past two weeks and im already losing weight (5llbs in the last two weeks) but my stomach is the same?! i feel like its not working :s-smilie:
Reply 12
the thing is though is that ive cut down my calories alot - to 1200 a day now for the past two weeks and im already losing weight (5llbs in the last two weeks) but my stomach is the same?! i feel like its not working :s-smilie:

probably because its only been 2 weeks and the stomach is the last place where the weight will come off. starts at the face and works its way down so your face and arms will become a lot more smaller before the belly does. just stick to your reduced calories diet. in a couple of months you will see a difference. but yes the exercise you showed will work too. just don't do it a few times and expect it to work overnight, everything takes time. do the diet and exercise continuously for a few months and then you will notice a difference.

You can't spot reduce fat.
It will cover off your stomach if you keep going.

Quick Reply

Latest