The Student Room Group

Maths C4 - Integration... Help???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RDKGames
Yes it is. Look at all the information, there is one equality that shows they're both the same.

Ohhh because of ax=exlnaa^x = e^{x\ln a}

But then where is the equality above derived from?
Original post by Philip-flop

The fact that eln(a)=ae^{\ln(a)}=a and that xln(a)=ln(ax)x\ln(a)=\ln(a^x) - just basic log rules from C2

Didn't you ask this on TSR before and there were quite a few posts explaining it? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?
The fact that eln(a)=ae^{\ln(a)}=a and that xln(a)=ln(ax)x\ln(a)=\ln(a^x) - just basic log rules from C2

Great now I'm trying to see how ax=exlnaa^x = e^{x\ln a} is derived from...

eln(a)=ae^{\ln(a)}=a and xln(a)=ln(ax)x\ln(a)=\ln(a^x) :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by notnek
Didn't you ask this on TSR before and there were quite a few posts explaining it? Or am I mixing you up with someone else?

I can't recall asking this before, but knowing me it might have been! :frown:

Is there a video anywhere explaining it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by notnek

Yeah it was him

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4642162
I can't recall me asking this before, but knowing me it might have been! :frown:

Is there a video anywhere explaining it?

Have a look through this thread :smile:
Oh dear, why do I have the memory of a sieve?! Sorry about this :frown: :colondollar:

Original post by notnek
Have a look through this thread :smile:
Oh dear, why do I have the memory of a sieve?! Sorry about this :frown: :colondollar:

If you're still unsure about it then it would be worth going through that thread and quoting posts that you don't understand.

Also I have no idea how ax=exlnaa^x = e^{x\ln a} is linked to the above :frown: :frown: :frown: Seriously feel like giving up this close to the exams!

You're focusing on a very small part of C4 that I think most students are unsure of. This is not a very good reason to give up yet :smile:
Original post by notnek
If you're still unsure about it then it would be worth going through that thread and quoting posts that you don't understand.

Thank you, I think I managed to learn it again so hopefully it'll stick better the second time round!! Sorry about forgetting about my original post!

So using the basis of what you said on the other thread I tweaked it a little to make sure I understand it whenever I have to revisit it...

xlna×lne=xlna xln a \times ln e = xln a

(This is because lne=1 ln e = 1)

Using the log power rule on the x gives...
lnax×lne=lnax ln a^x \times ln e = ln a^x

Using the log power rule on the lna^x gives...
lnelnax=lnaxln e^{\ln a^x} = ln a^x

Then cancelling out the logs aka "Anti-log" gives...
elnax=axexlna=ax e^{ln a^x} = a^x \Rightarrow e^{xln a} = a^x
wow good luck!!!

What's elnaxe^{\ln a^x}?
I feel so stupid! I spent so long trying to figure this out over something that is actually so so so simple!! Thanks for clearing this up! :smile:

Yeah I'm definitely still trying to get to grips with f(x)[f(x)]n=[f(x)]n+1n+1+cf'(x)[f(x)]^n = \frac{[f(x)]^{n+1}}{n+1} + c

It may take me a while :colondollar:

Sorry if this is obvious at all, but you see that if you differentiate the right side how everything fits together. First bring down the power, this cancels the 1/(n+1).
Then you decrease the power, giving n.
Now here's the important bit, the chain rule. f(x)^(n+1) is in essence another function, let's call it g(x). You just differentiated g(x) when you brought down the power and reduced it. Now we have to differentiate the function within the function and multiply it with g'(x). That's where the f'(x) is from.

I hope this helps. Good luck with nailing c4!
Original post by carpetguy
Sorry if this is obvious at all, but you see that if you differentiate the right side how everything fits together. First bring down the power, this cancels the 1/(n+1).
Then you decrease the power, giving n.
Now here's the important bit, the chain rule. f(x)^(n+1) is in essence another function, let's call it g(x). You just differentiated g(x) when you brought down the power and reduced it. Now we have to differentiate the function within the function and multiply it with g'(x). That's where the f'(x) is from.

I hope this helps. Good luck with nailing c4!

Slightly confusing, but I think I get what you're saying. It's difficult to understand without an actual example though
Slightly confusing, but I think I get what you're saying. It's difficult to understand without an actual example though

You've been doing these examples...
You've been doing these examples...

Yeah but I haven't tried using the fact that f(x)[f(x)]n=[f(x)]n+1n+1+c \int f'(x)[f(x)]^n = \frac{[f(x)]^{n+1}}{n+1} + c in reverse :colondollar:
Yeah but I haven't tried using the fact that f(x)[f(x)]n=[f(x)]n+1n+1+c \int f'(x)[f(x)]^n = \frac{[f(x)]^{n+1}}{n+1} + c in reverse :colondollar:

Yeah you have. It's just the chain rule.
Yeah you have. It's just the chain rule.

Oh really? Why am I having a hard time recognising it from that formula? :colondollar:
Oh really? Why am I having a hard time recognising it from that formula? :colondollar:

Because the constants are in different places I suppose...

ddx[f(x)]n=nf(x)[f(x)]n1\frac{d}{dx}[f(x)]^n = nf'(x)[f(x)]^{n-1} is the form you know (hopefully). So if n(n+1)n \mapsto (n+1) we have:

ddx[f(x)]n+1=(n+1)f(x)[f(x)]n\frac{d}{dx}[f(x)]^{n+1}=(n+1)f'(x)[f(x)]^{n} so dividing both sides by (n+1)(n+1) gives 1n+1ddx[f(x)]n+1=f(x)[f(x)]n\frac{1}{n+1}\frac{d}{dx}[f(x)]^{n+1}=f'(x)[f(x)]^{n}

Integrating both sides gives 1n+1[f(x)]n+1=f(x)[f(x)]n.dx\frac{1}{n+1}[f(x)]^{n+1} = \int f'(x)[f(x)]^{n} .dx
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest