The Student Room Group

Opinions on "dirty" jobs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sabertooth
Don't act naive. You were asking if he was white because he didn't want to do "dirty jobs". Poles are white and do those jobs.

Unless of course you were asking because you're worried he'll get sunburned if he's not careful as it's nearly summer.

I asked him if he was white because I was curious. There would have been no follow up to it.

Thank you for your assumptions but as you are part of the TSR Support Team why don't you go actually do something useful and sort out all the trolls on this site what are stirring up s*hit without the need for their actions to be assumed.
Original post by Moonstruck16
I asked him if he was white because I was curious. There would have been no follow up to it.

Thank you for your assumptions but as you are part of the TSR Support Team why don't you go actually do something useful and sort out all the trolls on this site what are stirring up s*hit without the need for their actions to be assumed.

Yeah, of course, absolutely no underlying motive. :yes: when I'm engaged in debate on here I always ask people their race. I mean it's obviously so important to the debate.
Yeah, of course, absolutely no underlying motive. :yes: when I'm engaged in debate on here I always ask people their race. I mean it's obviously so important to the debate.

You're just upset someone called you out on your bull****.

Well maybe that's what you do but I was just curious. Can I just ask why you felt the need to interject anyway? Why don't you have a chat with the other person who actually said that the point of race is relevant? He's the one you should follow up your assumption with.

No I am not upset but if I was it's because you're making assumptions. I asked a question with no follow up or malice intended.
Original post by Ryū
Where did he say only women should do it? And why didn't your mother/father take care of their parents?

>Slavs
>White

Well traditionally caring has been a womens role. And my mother was round my grandparents house nearly every weekend sorting out their paperwork like bills e.c.t but she couldn't do any more than that as she had to work full time to pay the mortage- she's divorced from my Dad so there wouldn't have been any other income otherwise.
Original post by Moonstruck16
Well maybe that's what you do but I was just curious. Can I just ask why you felt the need to interject anyway? Why don't you have a chat with the other person who actually said that the point of race is relevant? He's the one you should follow up your assumption with.

No I am not upset but if I was it's because you're making assumptions. I asked a question with no follow up or malice intended.

Of course. :yes:
Of course. :yes:

I'm glad that you've finally agreed with my reasoning :yes:
I hate it when people say British people don't want to do these jobs. What they really mean is British people don't want to do it for next to no money. Pay a decent wage and people will clean toilets for it.
Original post by Sternumator
I hate it when people say British people don't want to do these jobs. What they really mean is British people don't want to do it for next to no money. Pay a decent wage and people will clean toilets for it.

What's a decent wage for such job in your mind then? To be honest, I'd do such work even if it was below minimum wage because it's still money.
Original post by ForgetMe
What's a decent wage for such job in your mind then? To be honest, I'd do such work even if it was below minimum wage because it's still money.

I don't have a number. A good wage is what you can get people to do the job for. If people aren't doing the job you want for the money you are offering, you need to up your wage.

Employers who set the wage at £5 and then moan than they are not getting good quality workers have themselves to blame. You get what you pay for. Set the wage at £20 an hour and you will have people falling over themselves go clean the toilets.

There is no right to have workers for minimum wage. If people won't scrub your toilets for £3 an hour, I think you should pay more or clean your own toilet. Not moan that natives are lazy and ship in people who are prepared to do it for such a cheap price.
(edited 7 years ago)
Its not people don't want to do these jobs its that the work is humiliating and wages a pittance, along with humiliating people think they are better than cleaners my mums friend has 2 degrees but as her age she has to do cleaning work for people who think shes basically uneducated riff raff not someone with firsts in 2 degrees and was put out of work after 25 years.

This is zero hour work and doesn't pay enough so she goes without heating and electric for days at a time.

Have you seen some peoples toilets? My mum went for a few jobs years back before the Europeans did most of the work and lets say a certain ethnic group she went to clean for left toilets covered in human waste, and thought she was stupid as she was female (didn't want male cleaners) and tried paying her £1 a hour so she knew her place both as a woman and due to being on low income.
Original post by drbluebox
Its not people don't want to do these jobs its that the work is humiliating and wages a pittance, along with humiliating people think they are better than cleaners my mums friend has 2 degrees but as her age she has to do cleaning work for people who think shes basically uneducated riff raff not someone with firsts in 2 degrees and was put out of work after 25 years.

This is zero hour work and doesn't pay enough so she goes without heating and electric for days at a time.

Have you seen some peoples toilets? My mum went for a few jobs years back before the Europeans did most of the work and lets say a certain ethnic group she went to clean for left toilets covered in human waste, and thought she was stupid as she was female (didn't want male cleaners) and tried paying her £1 a hour so she knew her place both as a woman and due to being on low income.

Totally agree with that part and feel sorry for cleaners who have to deal with trashy people who cannot even do it properly on a toilet.. At my current workplace, some guys make such a mess in men's toilets that it puts me off from even using them :erm: Even a simple flush is a mission impossible for some of them :facepalm: Cleaners should be paid more than what they currently get because of the nature of the job.
Original post by Sternumator
I don't have a number. A good wage is what you can get people to do the job for. If people aren't doing the job you want for the money you are offering, you need to up your wage.

Employers who set the wage at £5 and then moan than they are not getting good quality workers have themselves to blame. You get what you pay for. Set the wage at £20 an hour and you will have people falling over themselves go clean the toilets.

There is no right to have workers for minimum wage. If people won't scrub your toilets for £3 an hour, I think you should pay more or clean your own toilet. Not moan that natives are lazy and ship in people who are prepared to do it for such a cheap price.

If they'd set an hourly rate of £20 then surely all other job roles should also have an increase.. But if you were an employer, I mean a genuine one, would you pay that much?
Totally agree with that part and feel sorry for cleaners who have to deal with trashy people who cannot even do it properly on a toilet.. At my current workplace, some guys make such a mess in men's toilets that it puts me off from even using them :erm: Even a simple flush is a mission impossible for some of them :facepalm: Cleaners should be paid more than what they currently get because of the nature of the job.

If it wasn't already clear, lets just say the ethnic group involved ate a lot of spicy food so imagine how much worse it is!
Original post by drbluebox
If it wasn't already clear, lets just say the ethnic group involved ate a lot of spicy food so imagine how much worse it is!

It also might be down to individuals :tongue:
If they'd set an hourly rate of £20 then surely all other job roles should also have an increase.. But if you were an employer, I mean a genuine one, would you pay that much?

I don't believe people employees are owed a certain wage and I don't believe employers are owed employees at a certain wage. It's a market. Pay the going rate. If you can get an employee for £15, you pay £20.

If I want a cleaner, I need to pay the going rate. I can't say I'll give you a fiver and then moan no natives want to do it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
Absolutely. Wiping :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y arses isn't anyone's idea of fun, but it has to be done as part of the job, and they do it whilst respecting the other person's dignity.

Original post by markova21
No-one has mentioned people who work at being Care Assistants in thousands of old people's homes and on elderly people's hospital wards. They have to wipe the backsides of elderly people after they've taken a s hit for them because they cannot do it themselves. Utter respect to them.

Not just the backside - if they wear incontinence pads and have relieved themselves in the night - it can go up the back, over the cheeks it coats the genitals. A particuarly heavy one can stain the bed and sheets and it all has to be cleaned up...................................

Then there is blood, piss, puke, spit, spilled food.

But i appreciate the kind words. And ill ignore the other less complimentary posts about my profession
I think that, in our culture, there is a definite tendency to consider oneself above dirty jobs. It's not something one ever aspires to do, but it's an essential job. I saw an advert for a cleaner at Spoons and, if the time of year hadn't been wrong, I would've gone for it because I like the atmosphere of Spoons and I really like cleaning. The thought of cleaning muck from the toilets makes me want to vom though.
Would I do them personally? No. I have a degree and several years work experience in my sector - I know my CV is good enough to find relevant skilled employment.

However it is my opinion that nobody who goes out to work to provide for themselves or their family deserves to be looked down upon. Somebody has to do the blue collar jobs.
Reply 78
Original post by l'etranger
I'd recover surprisingly quickly believe me.

Looking at how much your knickers got in a twist just from reading something you don't agree with, I'd say your emotional constitution probably isn't strong enough.
Original post by shawn_o1
No, not prostitution :colone:
I refer to work such as cleaning (toilets, streets or inside/outside buildings), rubbish collection, recycling plant and sewage treatment roles.
It seems that a lot of the native population, including those from poor backgrounds, are put off from ever doing that kind of work even when they're desperate for money. Is there a reason for that?

If you are able to get by without doing such jobs (which is the case for many, either due to having savings, living with family or benefits), it incentivises people not to do so.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending