The Student Room Group

Anki Vs Handmade Flashcards

For people who have employed both, what would you say is a better strategy? I'm curious because I've used flashcards before, but i'm faster at typing. However people say that the process of making the card allows you to learn/remember contents. I'm wondering if anki cards would be more efficient.
(assume both strategies involve spaced repetition)

edit: for those who don't know what anki is, its a flashcard app that uses spaced repetition
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kaldrogo123
For people who have employed both, what would you say is a better strategy? I'm curious because I've used flashcards before, but i'm faster at typing. However people say that the process of making the card allows you to learn/remember contents. I'm wondering if anki cards would be more efficient.
(assume both strategies involve spaced repetition)

edit: for those who don't know what anki is, its a flashcard app that uses spaced repetition

Hi :smile: I've used both and personally I agree with you that typing is much faster and I preferred having mine typed up. I think it was an issue of time and the fact that writing them out and then sorting a plan to space them out took away from the time I could be learning them. Also, I found that having the digital cards was much more effective as I could revise anywhere for any amount of time and they took up no more room, whereas handwritten ones (for the amount I made) would have been impossible to carry.

For me, the process of making flashcards, regardless of their format was the thing that helped me revise most, and then being able to test myself, again regardless of format, helped reinforce it.

I'd say do whichever is easiest for you but take into account how long either process will take to make and weigh this up with the potential benefits. :smile:
Original post by brainzistheword
Hi :smile: I've used both and personally I agree with you that typing is much faster and I preferred having mine typed up. I think it was an issue of time and the fact that writing them out and then sorting a plan to space them out took away from the time I could be learning them. Also, I found that having the digital cards was much more effective as I could revise anywhere for any amount of time and they took up no more room, whereas handwritten ones (for the amount I made) would have been impossible to carry.

For me, the process of making flashcards, regardless of their format was the thing that helped me revise most, and then being able to test myself, again regardless of format, helped reinforce it.

I'd say do whichever is easiest for you but take into account how long either process will take to make and weigh this up with the potential benefits. :smile:

Thanks. Lol i remember you giving me gcse advice a year ago xD. How time flies..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kaldrogo123
Thanks. Lol i remember you giving me gcse advice a year ago xD. How time flies..

Oh wow I never realised! How have you been getting on? :smile: Such a small world! :biggrin:
Original post by brainzistheword
Oh wow I never realised! How have you been getting on? :smile: Such a small world! :biggrin:

I guess gcses went decent, I got 7 A's and a few b's which isn't all that by tsr standards but still good for me xD. I heard you got 9 A*s tho...:redface:. And yeah i remember you from your gcse thread because you helped me out with these quizlet flashcards for science

Also i forgot to ask, did you make notes then flashcards or flashcards straight away? I'm not sure if making notes is efficient or not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending