The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should the niqab be banned in the UK?

I was watching a video about it and wanted to know what you guys thought. I believe that people should be able to dress the way they want to dress.

The video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew1vVmCl7r0

Scroll to see replies

nobody should be allowed to cover their face in public.
Reply 2
Everyone has a right to freely practice their religion so, no.
Definitely
Reply 4
Original post by Meany Pie

If it's not affecting you, then why not?
Original post by GreenBell
If it's not affecting you, then why not?

it is a security risk and not in keeping with our culture.
It can affect things
If someone walked in a bank covered up, then puls a gun and takes money, Some person tries to be a Hero and gets shot. You have a hard time finding them.

If someone doesn't cover their face its easier to identify them.
And No someone cant do it with those robber masks , cause Lets walk through city dressed like robbers with black masks, No one is gonna stop u's or call the police before we reach the bank
Reply 7
Original post by Somepersonhere
It can affect things
If someone walked in a bank covered up, then puls a gun and takes money, Some person tries to be a Hero and gets shot. You have a hard time finding them.

If someone doesn't cover their face its easier to identify them.
And No someone cant do it with those robber masks , cause Lets walk through city dressed like robbers with black masks, No one is gonna stop u's or call the police before we reach the bank

Truee, good points. But how many niqabis have you heard of that have actually done that? If that was a serious problem then yes I agree with you. But all they do is walk around minding their own business. If you're going to say 'if someone did this or that' then everything might aswell be banned, right?
Reply 8

Isn't part of British culture to be tolerant and accepting of every way of life?
Original post by S.olk
Isn't part of British culture to be tolerant and accepting of every way of life?

it is, but part of british culture is also about not hiding your identity in public, doing so makes people often feel threatened.

Better ban sunglasses-hat-scarf combos
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Better ban sunglasses-hat-scarf combos

that is a rare thing indeed, i would move to ban all face coverings in public regardless of religion.
it is, but part of british culture is also about not hiding your identity in public, doing so makes people often feel threatened.

give me an example of one time, a lady wearing the niqab doing anything 'threatening' on British soil?

I could say people half-dressed on a 'hot' day are a security risk as well......

disregarding the victoria secret article for a second, you can't blame the niqab. they were all men using the niqab as a way to hide their identity - the niqab was just convenient for them- if we ban the niqab they'll just use a substitute.

with regards to the victoria secret article, I can't argue against, assuming the attacker was muslim.

nonetheless, banning the niqab will just demonstrate how inter-twined this country's definition of the freedom of religion actually is.
Original post by ozilll
disregarding the victoria secret article for a second, you can't blame the niqab. they were all men using the niqab as a way to hide their identity - the niqab was just convenient for them- if we ban the niqab they'll just use a substitute.

with regards to the victoria secret article, I can't argue against, assuming the attacker was muslim.

nonetheless, banning the niqab will just demonstrate how inter-twined this country's definition of the freedom of religion actually is.

freedom of religion without infringing on other people's rights. the niqab is not even required in islam. it is a choice to wear it.

Better ban cars then to stop them being used in getaways. What percentage of crimes involve using a niqab? I thought people could wear what clothes they wanted in the UK?
Original post by 999tigger
Better ban cars then to stop them being used in getaways. What percentage of crimes involve using a niqab? I thought people could wear what clothes they wanted in the UK?

lets play silly buggers.

they can, within reason.
freedom of religion without infringing on other people's rights. the niqab is not even required in islam. it is a choice to wear it.

Some Muslims believe that it is required. Some don't, but say it is highly recommended.

I mean, you would hate it if someone took something important to you away, wouldn't you hun? :smile:
lets play silly buggers.

they can, within reason.

You said it was a secuirty risk, when it clearly is not.
Why do you think you have the right to tell other people what to wear?

Latest

Trending

Trending