The Student Room Group

TSR Physics Society

Scroll to see replies

So nice to see that your aims based on a good teacher who awakes your interest in this science. Had experienced the other thing of it, that is to say I had a very bad teacher in physics in teaching the lessons. He has almost ruined my interest for that! thanks to my self studies and my autodidact manner for learning things, I was capable of getting interest in by my own.

My personal favorite for study is something mixed with another sciecne, biophysics for instance.
Reply 1101
Original post by Kallisto
So nice to see that your aims based on a good teacher who awakes your interest in this science. Had experienced the other thing of it, that is to say I had a very bad teacher in physics in teaching the lessons. He has almost ruined my interest for that! thanks to my self studies and my autodidact manner for learning things, I was capable of getting interest in by my own.

My personal favorite for study is something mixed with another sciecne, biophysics for instance.

You gotta love quantum biology :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with starting your degree! I strongly urge you to recap your maths before you start, it is much more the language of physics at degree level than it is at A Level.
Reply 1103
Original post by Cerdic
Good luck with starting your degree! I strongly urge you to recap your maths before you start, it is much more the language of physics at degree level than it is at A Level.

Definitely, lol

I'm working on it, recapping calculus and statistics right now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
Definitely, lol

I'm working on it, recapping calculus and statistics right now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I were you I'd concentrate more on mechanics than statistics, although any practice is good practice
Reply 1105
Original post by Cerdic
If I were you I'd concentrate more on mechanics than statistics, although any practice is good practice

Okay :smile:

What main topics shall I recap? Trigonometry and quadratic equations are good
What else? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
Okay :smile:

What main topics shall I recap? Trigonometry and quadratic equations are good
What else? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Differential equations would be top of my list. Not too hard, just the kind at A Level. Beyond the standard stuff you've done, have a gander at complex numbers
Reply 1107
Original post by Cerdic
Differential equations would be top of my list. Not too hard, just the kind at A Level. Beyond the standard stuff you've done, have a gander at complex numbers

Yass, I love complex numbers :tongue:

Thx :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
You gotta love quantum biology :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it is the whole life seen in particles and subatomic particles? Is it really that what it wants to be?
Reply 1109
So it is the whole life seen in particles and subatomic particles? Is it really that what it wants to be?

Basically, biology had some things it couldn't explain, and quantum physicists realised they could explain it with quantum physics. The biologists said they didn't want quantum physics messing around with their biology, but when they saw how easily it could solve their problems they had for decades, they agreed that quantum physics can stay :h:

The main things I know about quantum biology:

- animals that use the Earth's magnetic field to know where they are have detectors in their eyes that use quantum entanglement.
- Random genetic mutations are caused by quantum tunnelling
- plants photosynthesise using wave-particle duality
- tadpoles turn into frogs using quantum tunnelling
- the nose does not detect the shape of molecules, but the vibration of the bonds between the atoms in the molecules. This is called the quantum theory if olfaction.

:smile:

I watched a documentary on it a few years ago by Jim Al-Khalili

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyx
x

Can you name the documentary with Jim-Al Khalili in it please? I want to get to know this quantum biology stuff too. Oh and I adore Khalili as both moderator of scientific TV shows and as a scientist. He is very good in telling people interesting aspects of sciences with passion. :smile:
Reply 1111
Can you name the documentary with Jim-Al Khalili in it please? I want to get to know this quantum biology stuff too. Oh and I adore Khalili as both moderator of scientific TV shows and as a scientist. He is very good in telling people interesting aspects of sciences with passion. :smile:

Yes I'm watching his electricity ones on BBC 4 :smile:

And I think it was called the physics of life or something :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04v85cj

Yeah, that is! thank you so much for posting the link! will watch it by occasion. :smile: documentaries with Al-Khalili are so instructive!
Reply 1114
I think that might be it :s-smilie:
Original post by Kyx
I think that might be it :s-smilie:

It is with Ali-Khalili in it, so it highely likely it has to be.

By the way what are another interests of you in physics?
Reply 1116
It is with Ali-Khalili in it, so it highely likely it has to be.

By the way what are another interests of you in physics?

I like all aspects of physics, mainly quantum and astro though :smile:

Which is good because my university course only does quantum physics and astrophysics!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kyx
I like all aspects of physics, mainly quantum and astro though :smile:

Which is good because my university course only does quantum physics and astrophysics!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assuming your course is IOP accredited (I don't know of any that aren't, but it's possible), you'll be doing a lot more than just quantum and astro.

All courses include:
Mathematics, mechanics & relativity, quantum physics, condensed matter physics, oscillations & waves, electromagnetism, optics, and thermodynamics & statistical physics.

Source.
Reply 1118
Original post by Cerdic
Assuming your course is IOP accredited (I don't know of any that aren't, but it's possible), you'll be doing a lot more than just quantum and astro.

All courses include:
Mathematics, mechanics & relativity, quantum physics, condensed matter physics, oscillations & waves, electromagnetism, optics, and thermodynamics & statistical physics.

Source.

let me check :smile:
Reply 1119
Original post by Cerdic

All courses include:

Source.

of course i only remembered the bits i like most :p:

BSc (Hons) with Foundation Year

This is for students who do not have suitable qualifications in physics and maths for direct entry to the BSc degree.
Core modules

Preparing for Learning in Higher Education

Foundation Maths A

Foundation Physics 1

Foundation Maths B

Foundation Physics 2

Subject in Context Group Project: Maths and Physics

BSc (Hons)

First year

Core modules

Introduction to Experimental Skills and Mathematics for Physics

The Classical World

Optics, Gravitation and Astronomy

Experimental Physics and Mathematics 1

Electricity and Magnetism with Computation

Introduction to the Quantum World

Second year

The laboratory is central to your studies where you learn to design experiments and develop practical skills. A global challenge module provides opportunity to tackle real world problems in an interdisciplinary team. Transfer between most physics courses - including the MPhys and BSc courses - is possible up to the end of the second year.
Core modules

Experimental Physics and Mathematics 2

Further Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Kinetic Theory

Intermediate Quantum Mechanics: from Atoms to Solids

Experimental Physics and Mathematics 3

The Physics of Waves with Advanced Computation

Global Challenge

Final year

You take advanced theoretical, practical and technological topics spanning the wide range of modern physics.
Core modules

Team Experimental Problem Solving & Project Planning

Advanced Quantum, Nuclear and Particle Physics

Matter at Extremes

BSc Project

Optional modules

Physics-based Technologies

Numerical Modelling and Simulation

Galactic and Extra-Galactic Astronomy

Quick Reply

Latest