The Student Room Group

Dentistry - 2018 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Milts
ye trust me it's the timing. The questions aren't that difficult for maths anyway it's just the timing that ****s you over!!!!

thank you, this makes me feel so much better!
Reply 21
Original post by Miss.Unknow
Honestly no, i practiced a bit during the Christmas holidays but now i've let go of it to focus on my A-levels..(which are of course more important). The moment i finish all my exams i'm going to practice for my UKCAT!
How's your revision going btw?
What Unis are you looking to get into? SO far im loving Cardiff, QMU, Bristol, Dundee and Edinburgh.

Revision is moving slowly but hopefully I catch up soon. Also, I like KCL, QMU, Cardiff and Manchester
Original post by Milts
Revision is moving slowly but hopefully I catch up soon. Also, I like KCL, QMU, Cardiff and Manchester

Nice, these are great choices, KCL is too competitive for me XD i dont want to get rejected. I love Cardiff, Dundee and Edinburgh the most, even though they are a bit far as i live in London, but hopefully i can get into one of them!
I suggest making a revision timetable, it really works (if you stick to it). On weekdays, i try to fit in around 3 hours of revision per day along with one hour of homework. But on the weekend, i try to do 3 hours in the morning and 3 hour in the evening, giving myself the whole afternoon off. Giving yourself 10 minutes between each hour to rest.
Nice, these are great choices, KCL is too competitive for me XD i dont want to get rejected. I love Cardiff, Dundee and Edinburgh the most, even though they are a bit far as i live in London, but hopefully i can get into one of them!
I suggest making a revision timetable, it really works (if you stick to it). On weekdays, i try to fit in around 3 hours of revision per day along with one hour of homework. But on the weekend, i try to do 3 hours in the morning and 3 hour in the evening, giving myself the whole afternoon off. Giving yourself 10 minutes between each hour to rest.

oh wow you guys are sorted.
I havent even researched all the different unis and idek where to start :colondollar:
Original post by rameow
oh wow you guys are sorted.
I havent even researched all the different unis and idek where to start :colondollar:

Yes it's better to be prepared now than later. I suggest yo start making up your mind now about which Unis you're interested in! Don't forget that the admission for Dentistry is in OCTOBER! 7 MONTHS! you can't leave it till the last minute!
Here are some of the Unis that provide a Dentistry course:
Glasgow
Cardiff
Newcastle
Queen Mary Uni
Kings College
Manchester
Dundee
Bristol
Liverpool
Plenty to choose from, but it really depends on location, how competitive it is (London unis are more competitive), cost of living etc. I suggest you make some kind of table comparing the pros and cons of each unis and decide on your top 5!
Best of luck to you.
Edit: Edinburgh doesn't do dentistry
XD i just really like the Uni
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes it's better to be prepared now than later. I suggest yo start making up your mind now about which Unis you're interested in! Don't forget that the admission for Dentistry is in OCTOBER! 7 MONTHS! you can't leave it till the last minute!
Glasgow
Cardiff
Newcastle
Queen Mary Uni
Kings College
Edinburgh
Manchester
Dundee
Bristol
Liverpool
Plenty to choose from, but it really depends on location, how competitive it is (London unis are more competitive), cost of living etc. I suggest you make some kind of table comparing the pros and cons of each unis and decide on your top 5!
Best of luck to you.

omg thank you very much!!! this is really helpful! thank you!!!
Glasgow
Cardiff
Newcastle
Queen Mary Uni
Kings College
Edinburgh
Manchester
Dundee
Bristol
Liverpool
Best of luck to you.

Sorry to disappoint but Edinburgh does not do Dentistry. Also on a quick review you have missed off Leeds and Birmingham
Original post by 16Goldfish
Sorry to disappoint but Edinburgh does not do Dentistry. Also on a quick review you have missed off Leeds and Birmingham

I clearly wrote 'some' dentistry unis, not 'all'. Opps i didn't realize they just do a oral health course...My mistake!
It is also a good idea to visit those universities you are interested in but be aware that some of the Autumn open days will be after you have had to submit your application. Also you can almost guarantee that uni's you are interested in will be running their open days at the same time... takes some planning. It certainly helps get to those final 4 (the 5th choice having to be not dentistry) Good Luck 😀
hey guys!
lmao I'm honestly lacking so much rn...maths AS is literally 50 days away and I've barely done anything, my stupid school put our internal mock exams before our AS levels so I can't even focus on it.
chemistry is honestly the bane of my existence but i can't drop it since we obviously need it...and apparently it gets WAY worse at a2 -_-
my subjects are bio, chem, maths and french and i'm considering dropping maths after AS since we only need 3 subjects for uni so I don't see the point of dragging myself through a fourth one...but i'm still undecided there
the unis i'm looking at are kings and queen mary's since i live in london, then cardiff and birmingham :smile:
Original post by icy_typhoon
hey guys!
lmao I'm honestly lacking so much rn...maths AS is literally 50 days away and I've barely done anything, my stupid school put our internal mock exams before our AS levels so I can't even focus on it.
chemistry is honestly the bane of my existence but i can't drop it since we obviously need it...and apparently it gets WAY worse at a2 -_-
my subjects are bio, chem, maths and french and i'm considering dropping maths after AS since we only need 3 subjects for uni so I don't see the point of dragging myself through a fourth one...but i'm still undecided there
the unis i'm looking at are kings and queen mary's since i live in london, then cardiff and birmingham :smile:

relatable! i think im gonna focus on pulling through AS and then spend the summer sorting unis and ukcat etc.. out.
good luck!
Dont leave it too late to look at unis. My daughter got 3 interviews because she visited on open days and took what they said on board. Dont leave booking your UKCAT too late in case something cones up and you re unablevto take it because that will severely limit your choices. And work experience should definitely be sorted ASAP.
Reply 32

LOOL nahhh mate, decide whether or not it's too competitive for you once you get your grades. No need to be so pessimistic lool. And those revision hours...argh I'm envious
Reply 33
Original post by redhelen
Dont leave it too late to look at unis. My daughter got 3 interviews because she visited on open days and took what they said on board. Dont leave booking your UKCAT too late in case something cones up and you re unablevto take it because that will severely limit your choices. And work experience should definitely be sorted ASAP.

Surely going to Open Days up in Scotland are a bit far-fetched?
Reply 34
Original post by icy_typhoon
hey guys!

TBH I think internal exams are good this close to exams because it sort of prepares you for the real thing. Just my opinion though. I get how it will cause unnecessary stress though and some teachers can be really :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:y about what your real grades might be like.
Hi guys

im currently in year 12, applying next year. I was wondering if my GCSE grades are good enough to apply for dentistry and where should i apply?
Biology A*,Maths A*,Chem A,Physics A,RE A ,German B,English Lit B and Lang B, Geography C
I am predcited AAA for a levels and an A in EPQ

Im currently doing a silver science crest award rleated to dentistry.
I have been volunteering every weekend in a nursing home since september 2015, done 2 weeks in a pharmacy, 1 week in a gdp coming up in august, and various other dental related work experiences coming up.
What are my chances realistically?
Original post by Milts
LOOL nahhh mate, decide whether or not it's too competitive for you once you get your grades. No need to be so pessimistic lool. And those revision hours...argh I'm envious

True true...gotta revise though haha
It's all worth it at the end anyways :biggrin:
Sutton - the academic unis like Cardiff and Birmingham and even Liverpool are out for you so maybe look to UKCAT heavy ones or do BMAT and apply to Leeds.
Concentrate hard on tailoring your personal statement to your chosen unis.
Reply 38
True true...gotta revise though haha
It's all worth it at the end anyways :biggrin:

so trueee
Original post by sutton333
Hi guys

im currently in year 12, applying next year. I was wondering if my GCSE grades are good enough to apply for dentistry and where should i apply?
Biology A*,Maths A*,Chem A,Physics A,RE A ,German B,English Lit B and Lang B, Geography C
I am predcited AAA for a levels and an A in EPQ

Im currently doing a silver science crest award rleated to dentistry.
I have been volunteering every weekend in a nursing home since september 2015, done 2 weeks in a pharmacy, 1 week in a gdp coming up in august, and various other dental related work experiences coming up.
What are my chances realistically?

wow thats more than enough mate

Quick Reply

Latest