The Student Room Group

Indian Premier League 2017 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ssharma123
Everyone knows that sunil narine is better than Kohli

narines batting has probably been the surprise fo the tournament (to me anyways)

Original post by SGHD26716
Not the Double Ds?

you never know. My heart is on mumbai and so too (weirdly) is my brain
Not the Double Ds?

In my opinion, they are too inconsistent with the bat but tbh Mumbai are also inconsistent, it is just when one side fails the other does really well.
HOW ON EARTH DID RCB GET BOWLED OUT FOR 49

lowest every t20 total, lowest fall of 8th & 9th wicket and today's match was only the 2nd time in ipl history where both sides have been bowled out.

KKRs bowlers got 3 a piece (Woakes, coulter-nile and deGranhomme) and narine shined with the bat (didnt get to bowl as the match was over so quick).

No RCB players made double digits with Kohli going for a golden duck (and having throwing a tantrum to boot in the dugout).

Looking forward to the Marathi Derby tomorrow between Mumbai and Pune and hope the homeside (MI) wins against the only team to beat them this year. Dhoni looks to be back on form based on the last match but rahane's form is still woeful this year. maybe returning to his home ground (mumbai) will help him out?
(edited 6 years ago)
Not the Double Ds?

Very much doubt it tbh. Would be excellent for DD if they did manage it and I'd rather they won than MI or KKR :tongue:
Lol MI all the way supporting since 2011 :biggrin:, finally we have a good playoff season. Normally we just fluke it into top 4 lol
Reply 165
Original post by LotusBlue
Very much doubt it tbh. Would be excellent for DD if they did manage it and I'd rather they won than MI or KKR :tongue:

Original post by quasa
narines batting has probably been the surprise fo the tournament (to me anyways)

you never know. My heart is on mumbai and so too (weirdly) is my brain

Original post by ssharma123
In my opinion, they are too inconsistent with the bat but tbh Mumbai are also inconsistent, it is just when one side fails the other does really well.

Supposed to be a joke but sarcasm doesn't work as well on online forums

in fairness, DD is doing better than RCB and gujarat this year...despite having less star players
Original post by Samendra
Lol MI all the way supporting since 2011 :biggrin:, finally we have a good playoff season. Normally we just fluke it into top 4 lol

2011 mumbai team was the best imo (particularly vs somerset in the champions league semi - that match is still 1 of my fav ever t20 matches).

its a shame theres no more champions league t20 as I reckon there would be a crowd for it (+more domestic t20 tournaments = more variety of teams).

out of curiosity, u marathi? (tis a question I ask every MI fan as me and @Eternalflames seem to be the only marathi MI fans on TSR).
Original post by quasa
2011 mumbai team was the best imo (particularly vs somerset in the champions league semi - that match is still 1 of my fav ever t20 matches).

its a shame theres no more champions league t20 as I reckon there would be a crowd for it (+more domestic t20 tournaments = more variety of teams).

out of curiosity, u marathi? (tis a question I ask every MI fan as me and @Eternalflames seem to be the only marathi MI fans on TSR).

I'm not watching IPL this year :rofl:
Original post by Eternalflames
I'm not watching IPL this year :rofl:

howcome?!

MI paltan aaz versa baise khailte (my marathi hasn't improved :lol:)
Original post by quasa
howcome?!

MI paltan aaz versa baise khailte (my marathi hasn't improved :lol:)

Lost interest after so many years... :erm:

LOL my marathi is equally terrible :rofl:

@Anvaya is another Marathi girl on here
Original post by quasa

Original post by quasa

Nope :smile:
Original post by Eternalflames
Lost interest after so many years... :erm:

LOL my marathi is equally terrible :rofl:

@Anvaya is another Marathi girl on here

@Anvaya IPL mazaayaita or nai baghta? (question for @Anvaya: if bhagte, tu khon support karta?)

Should've guessed it :lol:
Hilarious scenes - and absolutely reckless batting from RCB. KKR laboured from 65-1 in the Powerplay to 131 all out: Chahal claiming 3-16 (Pandey caught by Badree for 15, Pathan stumped for 8, de Grandhomme caught by Kohli for a duck), Mills 2-31 (Gambhir stumped for 14, Woakes holing out to Mandeep for 18), Negi 2-15 (Yadav and Coulter-Nile caught by Mills and ABDV for 15 and 2), and Binny, Badree and Aaravind moved to remove Narine (caught by Chahal for 34), Uthappa (trapped in front for 14) and Kuldeep (bowled cleanly for 4) respectively.

In reply, Woakes sent back Gayle, Binny and Badree, caught by Coulter-Nile and Uthappa and trapped in front respectively, de Grandhomme sent back Negi, Mills and Chahal (trapped in front, caught by Kuldeep and caught by Pandey), and Coulter-Nile removed ABDV and Jadhav, caught by Uthappa and Woakes, after Kohli edged to Pandey, who also claimed Mandeep off Umesh. RCB needed little over 13 runs per wicket, only 6.6 runs an over, with Gayle, Kohli and AB de Villiers in their side. But they collapsed to 49 all out, the lowest score in the IPL and the 10th-lowest in all Twenty20 cricket. Not one man reached double figures. This was only the 10th time in the IPL that a total of 131 or under was defended successfully.

Coulter-Nile became only the 12th bowler to remove both Kohli and ABDV in the same innings, with no forward-facing runs scored off his first three overs. His wicket-taking deliveries - all three of them - were on average 3kmph faster than usual. This was Royal Challengers' fifth defeat as last year's runner-up slipped to the bottom of the points table with half their games complete. No team has reached the IPL playoffs with fewer than seven wins, though the fourth playoff spot in each of the past two seasons went to teams finishing on 16 points. With just four points from two victories, RCB realistically needs to win at least five if not six of their remaining seven matches to make the playoffs this season.

Their 49 is the lowest total in IPL history. The previous lowest by Rajasthan Royals, who were bowled out for 58 in the opening game of IPL 2009 in Cape Town. They were sent back in 9.4 overs - the second shortest T20 innings ever, after Bangladesh club Mohammedan's 42 all-out in 8.4 overs in 2013. Mumbai held the previous shortest IPL innings (87 in 12.5 overs) against Kings XI Punjab in 2011. This is the first instance in an IPL where no batsman got into double digits (Jadhav top scored with nine for RCB) and only the second occasion where all 20 wickets fell.

Tomorrow sees Pune vs MI. Smith and Imran Tahir played leading roles in securing Rising Pune's seven-wicket win against Mumbai in their season opener. The sides are fifth and first respectively, with Mumbai fresh from wins over DD, KXIP and Gujarat, while Pune have beaten RCB and Sunrisers but lost to Gujarat. Malinga trained with the team on the eve of the match and is likely to be available for selection for Mumbai, while du Plessis batted extensively in the nets a day before the match but it's hard to find an overseas player he could replace easily.

Mumbai will look to start fast - Buttler and Parthiv has added 263 runs at an average of 37.57 and has opened in all the side's games so far. Pune would look to bring in spin early to counter Mumbai's openers. Buttler, for instance, has a scoring rate of 10 per over against pace in the Powerplay (165 runs off 107 balls) but has faced only eight deliveries from spinners in that phase in the IPL. Parthiv has a scoring rate of 9.47 (110 runs off 76 balls) against the quicks, which drops to 6 per over against spinners (15 off 18 balls) in the Powerplay. In their opening match, Parthiv, Buttler and Rohit fell to Imran Tahir for a total of 60 runs.

Sharma's overall record against legspin in the IPL: 449 runs off 404 balls with 17 dismissals. That accounts for over 15% of his dismissals overall in the IPL. But Smith's favoured opposition in the IPL has been Mumbai. Overall, in seven matches against them from 2012 to 2017, he has scored 272 runs at an average of 68 and a strike rate of 144.68. Of the current Mumbai attack, he has lost his wicket only to McClenaghan and Jasprit Bumrah - once each. Mumbai are on the verge of their best winning streak in the IPL, having currently won six consecutive games. The last time they won six straight games was in the inaugural edition in 2008.

A lot has been made of Dhoni's finishing ability - and rightly so. A target of 47 from the final three overs was reduced to 10 from the final one before Dhoni closed the match against Sunrisers Hyderabad with a last-ball four. Before Saturday, Dhoni's lean form- 61 runs in 73 balls at a weak strike rate of 87.14 - had left Rising Pune Supergiant a worried franchise.
Original post by quasa
@Anvaya IPL mazaayaita or nai baghta? (question for @Anvaya: if bhagte, tu khon support karta?)

Hi ho mi kadhi kadhi baghte and mi Mumbai Indians la support karte😊
It has been a legspinners season in the IPL, with 39 scalps thus far. This is the most they have taken after 20 matches across all IPLs. They are averaging 10.45 in Powerplays. They have taken 11 wickets in the first six overs, bowling 18 overs at an economy rate of 6.39 runs per over, and less than 10 balls per wicket.

The other spinners have together taken five wickets in Powerplays, at average of 53.2, an economy rate of 7.6, and a strike rate of 42 balls per wicket. Among legspinners, Rashid Khan leads with four Powerplay wickets in five overs, while Samuel Badree has three - during the course of a hat-trick against Mumbai Indians - in four overs, and Imran Tahir and Piyush Chawla two each in three overs.

The sum of all Powerplay wickets that legspinners had taken after 19 games in the previous nine IPL seasons was 9. They have exceeded that tally in just this one season. Only one IPL game out of the first 19 hasn't seen a single over of legspin - between Mumbai Indians and Gujarat Lions in Mumbai.

Offspinners have gone wicketless in Powerplays during the first 19 games - the first time this has happened. The economy rate for seamers in the Powerplays this season is 8.50 - they have taken 34 wickets at 43.79. The Powerplay run rate this season of 8.36 is the best among all IPL seasons; teams batting first have averaged 7.89, and teams chasing 8.83.

Interestingly, 11.2 overs seems to be the actual halfway mark of the innings for the team batting first this IPL. They have, on average, doubled their score from this stage. The average score after 11.2 for the teams batting first is 85, and they have managed another 85 in the last 8.4 overs.

There have been 40 dropped catches in the first 19 games of the IPL, which have cost a total of 727 runs, though. Those stats are worrying - and among the biggest offenders were Mumbai, who conceded 157 runs after drops, and KKR, who dropped 10 chances. Nabi, Uthappa and Jadeja have dropped two catches apiece, while Boult has seen his bowling account for three drops. Delhi have only dropped two chances, costing them 12 runs, while RCB’s three drops have accounted for 104. KXIP and Sunrisers have dropped 4 and 5 chances respectively, costing them around 90 runs apiece, while KKR’s 10 drops accounted for 125 runs. Pune dropped six chances, costing them just 61 runs, while Gujarat’s five drops cost them 70 runs. The most costly drop has been Pandey, who was dropped by Parthiv before racking up 67 runs. There have been 11 drops in the death overs - overs 16 to 20 - and five drops in Sunrisers vs KXIP, the most of any game thus far. Powerplays have seen 11 drops.
Bottom side RCB welcome third-placed Sunrisers tomorrow, having lost to KKR and Pune recently. They did beat Gujarat, but Sunrisers are in better form - beating DD and KXIP recently, after losing to Pune. The sides faced off in the season's opening game and half-centuries from Moises Henriques and Yuvraj Singh helped Sunrisers post 207, which was 35 runs too many for RCB, who missed Kohli and ABDV.

RCB would need to win six of their last seven matches to make the latter stages of the competition, judging on previous qualification thresholds. Unlike RCB, Sunrisers' overseas contingent have performed time and time again. Kane Williamson has scored 110 in his first two games at a strike rate of nearly 170. Yuvraj Singh missed the last game due to illness, but should return to the XI at the Chinnaswamy. Nehra, who has a superlative record against Virat Kohli, may get a look too. After all, he is the only bowler in the IPL to dismiss Virat Kohli more than four times (six!).

Sunrisers are poor travellers and have lost all three of their away games this season. RCB, though, have struggled at home and have lost two of their three matches at home.Before 2017, the Chinnaswamy had the highest run rate (8.61) among all grounds. This season, it has the lowest run rate (7.41). Worryingly for the hosts, their middle-order batsmen have the worst average among all teams in 2017. Their Nos. 4 through 7 average 18.45 and have the poorest strike-rate (125.51). Henriques is one of two batsmen - the other being Rana - to have struck three fifties this season. He has scored 193 in six innings at an average of 64.33. And, promisingly for Sunrisers, Nehra has dismissed Kohli six times in 54 balls. Kohli's batting partners enjoy facing the Sunrisers bowlers, though. ABDV has scored 61 runs off 28 balls against Nehra while Gayle has scored 104 runs off 70 deliveries off the season's leading wicket-taker, B Kumar.
Damn it. Mumbai lost. It was really close.
Stokes 2-0 Buttler. Haha.

Pune made 160 for 6 to beat Mumbai Indians, who made 157 for 8, by three runs. Sharma and Bumrah posted two wickets apiece, the former removing Rahane for 38 (caught and bowled) and Tripathi for 45, snaffled by Pollard. The latter bowled Dhoni for 7, and trapped Tiwary in front for 22, before Johnson and Harbhajan bowled Stokes and Smith, both for 17. In reply, Stokes claimed 2-21, removing Buttler (caught by Washington Sundar for 17) and Sharma, clean bowled for 11. Washington Sundar bowled Patel for 33, Unadkat claimed Sharma, caught and bowled for 58, and Pandya, caught by Stokes for 13. McCleneghan was ran out, Unadkat claimed Rana off Christian for 3, and Pollard holed out to Smith for 9 off Tahir.

The win halts Mumbai Indians' six-match winning streak and completes the double for Pune. Before today, Mumbai had batted second five times and won on each occasion. By conceding only seven off the 19th over, Stokes left Mumbai needing 17 off the last over. Stokes produced a match-winning performance, conceding no runs and claiming a wicket vs left-handers, and his first over was his second maiden in T20s. His average speed was 134kmph but that came down by about 10kmph for his wicket deliveries. His opening spell terrorised Rana and dismissed Buttler, his second saw Karn removed, and his 11 balls during that period gave away only 15, and the 19th over came after Unadkat had gone for 11 in the 18th over, Rohit had completed a fifty, and at the other end was Pandya, Mumbai's new-found finisher who was yet to be dismissed in a chase this season. Stokes kept them to seven runs. Eighteen of his 24 balls were bowled on or outside off stump. Oh, and the only scoring shots off Stokes' bowling on the night were 13 singles and two fours. Forty percent of his spell consisted of dot balls.

Worryingly, Rohit's form against legspinners this IPL has been woeful. Against Tahir last time out, Rohit was done in by a slider, his feet rooted to the crease. He didn't pick the variation and was beaten in pace. Today, Rohit played Tahir with more conviction and intent, taking him for 23 runs off 15 balls, but still failed to pick the regulation legbreak from the googly. Earlier in the season, Rohit was out lbw to a googly from Rashid against Sunrisers, another delivery he failed to pick. He even failed to keep out Badree's hat-trick ball, another googly that sneaked between bat and pad. He struck an unbeaten 29-ball 40 against Gujarat Lions, who didn't have any wristspinners. Against KKR, he was out lbw - albeit to a terrible umpiring decision - against Sunil Narine, another bowler he wasn't quite picking.

Against right-arm spinners this IPL before the game against Rising Pune, Rohit had been dismissed five times and scored just five runs in 15 balls. Maybe he should be opening the batting. Rohit does it for India in T20Is and has also opened for Mumbai in previous seasons. That may disrupt the Buttler/Parthiv combo, but the former has played 52 of his 53 T20I innings in the middle order, with a strike rate of 139.20. Buttler has played the finishing role for England for his whole international career, save one innings. Rohit has batted in the top order for the majority of his. A simple swap makes sense.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest