The Student Room Group

Macbeth help!!

I do Macbeth for AQA GCSE and I've been making note cards with key themes and quotes to revise. I can't find any really good points/quotes for the theme of guilt? I've looked through my notes, on various websites and study guides, and I can only find the main ones that everyone will talk about (out damned spot/neptunes ocean/macbeth has murdered sleep/full of scorpions etc). I really want an interpretation of a certain quote that's unique and will impress examiners :smile: Any help would be appreciated!
Key scene for guilt: Claudius prayer for forgiveness with Hamlet in background, debating whether he should kill him now or later. Claudius seems like he's not truly sorry, but at least he attempts to ask for forgiveness, which casts doubt over Hamlet's mind as if he kills the King now, he may go to Heaven as he'll die in a state of holiness (where he would MUCH rather him be subjected to the wrath of Hellfire) :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BrainyBengali
Key scene for guilt: Claudius prayer for forgiveness with Hamlet in background, debating whether he should kill him now or later. Claudius seems like he's not truly sorry, but at least he attempts to ask for forgiveness, which casts doubt over Macbeth's mind as if he kills the King now, he may go to Heaven as he'll die in a state of holiness (where he would MUCH rather him be subjected to the wrath of Hellfire) :smile:

thanks for your help but I do Macbeth... Claudius/Hamlet aren't in this play :smile:
Original post by future leila
thanks for your help but I do Macbeth... Claudius/Hamlet aren't in this play :smile:

FGS WHY AM I SO INATTENTIVE?! I'm usually so pernickety I swear....
I did Macbeth last year and about a month (maybe less) before the exam I decided to buy the york notes A LEVEL Macbeth guide as it had some quite good points. If you're doing pride and prejudice, the a level guide was fab for that.
It can be quite complicated so you don't have to understand everything in there, but if you're aiming for an A* it's a good way to get a feel of alternative interpretations etc.
Although I must add, sometimes it takes random spurs of creativity in the exam itself to come up with these fabulously unique interpretations that you've never even considered before, even if its a topic you're comfortable with. I can still remember having random bursts of ideas in the exams and I am definitely not the English/creative type so don't stress too much about it! :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending