The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NeverLucky
But what does pot of greed do??

Tis a mystery even the most boosted peeps dunno.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
Tis a mystery even the most boosted peeps dunno.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But what does it do??
Original post by Doonesbury
Firstly, just because a course is listed in Extra doesn't mean it actually is in Extra. Some universities are rather lazy and don't remove their courses from Extra... so you need to call the university first to check.

Secondly Extra and Clearing are, of course, different and you can't assume one leads to the other, or that if a course is in clearing necessarily means it will accept a lower requirement.

"Generally" most universities do allow a one or even two grade miss, but there's no guarantees... (and the most demanding/popular courses are less likely to relax their offer). Durham in particular can spend a long time thinking about it and still say no after days have elapsed.

Eitherway, less than 10% of applicants end up at their Insurance anyway. The vast majority go to their firm (and approx 90% of Cambridge offer holders make their offer (except for Maths...)).

What unis are you thinking about for your insurance, and what are their offers?

Ah thanks. What I meant was that if I missed the offer for a combined honours course (which has higher entry requirements), would the uni typically let you transfer to single honours (which have lower entry requirements and also happens to be one of the few courses currently advertised in extra)- all very hypothetical and hopefully won't get to this.

Considering either Edinburgh (ABB) or Durham (A*AA)- in terms of pros and cons both courses and unis have them but I'm leaning towards Durham more (for more non academic reasons if I'm being honest but academic reasons do have a say too). If you haven't guessed already, Durham is the one with combined honours.

I mean I'm thinking that I should get AAB even on a really bad day so that would be guaranteed but alternatively any less than ABB and I may retake some exams as I've had rather many this time round and definitely know I'm capable of doing better than that
Reply 2383
Original post by Xphoenix
Ah thanks. What I meant was that if I missed the offer for a combined honours course (which has higher entry requirements), would the uni typically let you transfer to single honours (which have lower entry requirements and also happens to be one of the few courses currently advertised in extra)- all very hypothetical and hopefully won't get to this.

Considering either Edinburgh (ABB) or Durham (A*AA)- in terms of pros and cons both courses and unis have them but I'm leaning towards Durham more (for more non academic reasons if I'm being honest but academic reasons do have a say too). If you haven't guessed already, Durham is the one with combined honours.

I mean I'm thinking that I should get AAB even on a really bad day so that would be guaranteed but alternatively any less than ABB and I may retake some exams as I've had rather many this time round and definitely know I'm capable of doing better than that

As you say, it won't get to this :wink:

However, as I mentioned, Durham has a reputation for being decidedly unhelpful on Results Day.... I suggest you contact them and straightforwardly ask what are the chances of them accepting you onto the single honours if you Insure them but miss A*AA. You could specifically ask how many applicants did they accept last year who missed their offer?

And, just to say, Edinburgh is excellent anyway :smile:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
We'll look out for you :wink: :biggrin:

Not that you'd know it was me anyway unless I told you 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2385
Original post by Zacken
I think you're very much over exaggerating this (from my experience, of course - I might certainly be wrong), unless there's a genuinely really big gap between average mathmo ability and natsci ability.

An average undergraduate first year mathmo should be able to easily do STEP by the end of their first year (a far far harder exam than any of this AA stuff), so it's rather surprising to hear that a NatSci would have the least bit of trouble with the NSAA - of course, I don't know very much about the NSAA and it's relevance to the NatSci course, so that might account for it to a small extent, but I don't know...
As I said earlier, my initial response was after only seeing question 1 and 2 and thinking both would probably take me around a minute (and it seems like a question per minute is roughly the pace required). The questions get a bit easier from there however, not harder. That said I do think section E is tricky under time and situational pressure. There's nothing that would prepare a candidate for that kind of challenge in A-Level or GCSE maths.

There is not the same problem solving centred course in IA natsci c.f. IA maths. Sure, in part II, they ramped up the pressure considerably but I spent most of last year learning how to do very tricky questions involving complicated reactions which should take a good candidate about 40 minutes to complete. NatSci doesn't have a heavily time-pressured exam philosophy like I know maths does.

Aha, honestly I would be more confident about getting 100+ in STEP I than 90%+ in the NSAA. I sat STEP back in school and it was the one exam which I knew I nailed. It's a different type of exam. In the same regard I would be relatively certain I could at least draw a chess game against an IM or even low GM with classical time controls, but I would be worried about a rapid game against almost any opponent. I think in this regard you are right that STEP is more difficult but the challenge to natsci applicants is to beat 75-80% of the cohort in a rapid-fire exam like this. Conversely the odds for STEP offer holders is more favourable.

Edit: My thoughts on the NSAA are basically:
- I think section 2 is excellent and probably is a pretty good predictor of tripos performance (and therefore helpful in selection.)
- I think section 1 is probably a good test, but my knee-jerk reaction is that physical natsci applicants would have a huge advantage. Someone doing Maths/ FMaths/ Physics would do considerably better than Maths/ Biology/ Chemistry - which would be a concern if NatSci is going to keep the rough subject ratios up. Excellent, smart biologists with only "good" maths should not lose a "bionatsci" place to someone who is just fast at maths. Although knowing bionatsci DoS' at various colleges, probably they will not use section 1 (or just take the bio and/or chemistry marks).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2386
Original post by Zacken
I think you're very much over exaggerating this (from my experience, of course - I might certainly be wrong), unless there's a genuinely really big gap between average mathmo ability and natsci ability.

Original post by R T
Aha, honestly I would be more confident about getting 100+ in STEP I than 90%+ in the NSAA. I sat STEP back in school and it was the one exam which I knew I nailed. It's a different type of exam. In the same regard I would be relatively certain I could at least draw a chess game against an IM or even low GM with classical time controls, but I would be worried about a rapid game against almost any opponent. I think in this regard you are right that STEP is more difficult but the challenge to natsci applicants is to beat 75-80% of the cohort in a rapid-fire exam like this. Conversely the odds for STEP offer holders is more favourable.

Reply 2387
Lol I am not explaining myself very well. There is no doubt mathmos are better at maths based stuff that natscis. There is no doubt STEP is a harder exam with more challenging questions. I don't outright contest either point there.

But I do think dismissing an exam because it is easy(/ier) than another is problematic. Let's say I had to stake my life on a particular performance in a maths exam. I can pick between getting 100% raw mark on C3 and C4, or getting a 1 in STEP or getting above 105 in the Senior Maths Challenge (I did all 3 of these things when I was 17). But right now, out of the 3, I would pick STEP, because that is probably the most reliable outcome of the 3 for me. Appreciably a lot of people would probably pick C3 and C4. That doesn't mean they are better or worse than me, it's just that I don't back myself to be fast, efficient, mistake free as much as I would back myself to get to the bottom of 4 STEP questions in 3 hours. I am sure that as a (current?) mathmo you would feel the same.

I also think it's difficult to revisit anything when you've spent too much time doing something else. I do remember working for my chemistry A-Level and occasionally getting things wrong or perhaps not understanding something instantly. However, if I looked at it now I would laugh. That doesn't mean it's easy, it's just the position I am in now.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2388
Original post by R T
Lol I am not explaining myself very well. There is no doubt mathmos are better at maths based stuff that natscis. There is no doubt STEP is a harder exam with more challenging questions. I don't outright contest either point there.

But I do think dismissing an exam because it is easy(/ier) than another is problematic. Let's say I had to stake my life on a particular performance in a maths exam. I can pick between getting 100% raw mark on C3 and C4, or getting a 1 in STEP or getting above 105 in the Senior Maths Challenge (I did all 3 of these things when I was 17). But right now, out of the 3, I would pick STEP, because that is probably the most reliable outcome of the 3 for me. Appreciably a lot of people would probably pick C3 and C4. That doesn't mean they are better or worse than me, it's just that I don't back myself to be fast, efficient, mistake free as much as I would back myself to get to the bottom of 4 STEP questions in 3 hours. I am sure that as a (current?) mathmo you would feel the same.

I also think it's difficult to revisit anything when you've spent too much time doing something else. I do remember working for my chemistry A-Level and occasionally getting things wrong or perhaps not understanding something instantly. However, if I looked at it now I would laugh. That doesn't mean it's easy, it's just the position I am in now.

TBF i thought you meant you could more easily get 100% in STEP I. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EnglishMuon
oh damn, hope u were alright.

afaik mathmos go crazy and wonder the streets at night instead.

not only mathmos

pls invite me next time
As you say, it won't get to this :wink:

However, as I mentioned, Durham has a reputation for being decidedly unhelpful on Results Day.... I suggest you contact them and straightforwardly ask what are the chances of them accepting you onto the single honours if you Insure them but miss A*AA. You could specifically ask how many applicants did they accept last year who missed their offer?

And, just to say, Edinburgh is excellent anyway :smile:

Yeah i was going to but then I didn't want to ask as I know Durham aren't a fan of you insuring them
Reply 2391
Original post by Xphoenix
Yeah i was going to but then I didn't want to ask as I know Durham aren't a fan of you insuring them

I imagine they'd be less of a fan of you rejecting them entirely. :smile: Honestly, in all things it is better to be straightforward with people... you have a valid concern so ask them :smile: It's not as if they will remove your offer.
I imagine they'd be less of a fan of you rejecting them entirely. :smile: Honestly, in all things it is better to be straightforward with people... you have a valid concern so ask them :smile: It's not as if they will remove your offer.

Hey Doonesbury, do you think my insurance being Durham (AAA) is unreasonable/too risky? :redface:
Hey Doonesbury, do you think my insurance being Durham (AAA) is unreasonable/too risky? :redface:

I'm not Doonesbury, but I wouldn't have thought AAA was unreasonable considering you're probably pegged for something along the lines of A*A*A (or better).
Reply 2394

Original post by an_atheist
I'm not Doonesbury, but I wouldn't have thought AAA was unreasonable considering you're probably pegged for something along the lines of A*A*A (or better).

I am Spartacus!

Not risky at all. AAA will be a shoe-in for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone else found that their parents/relatives/other adults seem to think that at Cambridge the 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' attitude applies? My mum keeps offering to introduce me to the children of random mutual friends who are at Cambridge (different course and college to me) and I don't know how to politely refuse 😅😑
Reply 2396
Original post by Steliata
Has anyone else found that their parents/relatives/other adults seem to think that at Cambridge the 'it's not what you know, it's who you know' attitude applies? My mum keeps offering to introduce me to the children of random mutual friends who are at Cambridge (different course and college to me) and I don't know how to politely refuse 😅😑
Yeah this is extremely common.

What is worse is that the "old boys" network is not dead. I think to a very large extent it is dead in terms of trying to get into an undergrad course at any University because of how tightly inspected and controlled and formulaic the whole application procedure is. But for PhD placements, masters, graduate positions, etc. at various top universities it is definitely a lot to do with who you know and what they're willing to say about you.

To be honest, this is why places at top schools and top universities are so competitive. Cambridge is great, almost all the students love it, but there's nothing special about the teaching or extra circular stuff or whatever at undergraduate level. It's more the chance to get noticed by very influential people (both those who are older and influential now, and to make friends with people who are going to be big names later on). Same is true of schools. I mean purely talking from my own experience (chemistry) - if you can get a 2i in 3rd and 4th year with making every member of staff hate you, you are basically guaranteed a PhD placement. You are also automatically making your application to other universities strong by default because all of your referees and references will be from these very well thought of Cambridge professors/doctors/etc.

But for undergraduate applicants, there is no point to this. The undergraduate admissions process is very fair. You can politely decline invitations or you can just go along with it, doesn't matter either way. Just focus on studying for AS exams lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone got mocks this week?? I feel there's something slightly soul destroying about doing a paper and going blank on topics you already knew you were rubbish at less than 2 months before the real thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2398
Original post by R T
....Just focus on studying for AS exams lol.

Er, this is the Offer Holders thread. :wink:
Original post by rayofsunshine98
Anyone got mocks this week?? I feel there's something slightly soul destroying about doing a paper and going blank on topics you already knew you were rubbish at less than 2 months before the real thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got mocks! Haven't had one yet... first one tomorrow morning... I feel like I haven't revised enough for English lit tomorrow. :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending