The Student Room Group

Newcastle Applicants for 2018 entry a100 and a101

hi everyone

I am applying for medicine for second time after finishing my first degree in january 2017 as a nurse, i now work as an ITU nurse looking after ventilated patients and always wanted to pursue medicine.
couldnt see a thread for this yet so decided to make one. I applied for medicine for 2017 entry and was unsuccessful because my UKCAT was too low.

Newcastle's cut off for 2017 entry was a100: 700, a101: 743, 500 offers for 319 places. There will be more places for medical schools for 2018 entry but newcastle has not released how many more yet,

good luck with all your applications and any questions regarding the UCAS process as i have now done it twice or UKCAT go ahead :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xJessScott
hi everyone

I am applying for medicine for second time after finishing my first degree in january 2017 as a nurse, i now work as an ITU nurse looking after ventilated patients and always wanted to pursue medicine.
couldnt see a thread for this yet so decided to make one. I applied for medicine for 2017 entry and was unsuccessful because my UKCAT was too low.

Newcastle's cut off for 2017 entry was a100: 700, a101: 743, 500 offers for 319 places. There will be more places for medical schools for 2018 entry but newcastle has not released how many more yet,

good luck with all your applications and any questions regarding the UCAS process as i have now done it twice or UKCAT go ahead :smile:

How do you know Newcastle are getting the extra places?
Reply 2
Original post by WhoDaresWins
How do you know Newcastle are getting the extra places?

it was officially announced, i cant find the article it was on another thread officially stating every medical school will gain a certain amount of extra places and can then bid for more
hi everyone

Hey :smile: I'm a first year medic at Newcastle, I'd be happy to help with any questions you may have. That UKCAT cut off seems very high! I don't think my undergrad cut off was so high (I got 705 in 2016.)

Anyhow, best of luck with your application. I'm sure you'll get an offer in 2018, just stick with it!
Reply 4
Original post by Sacred Ground
Hey :smile: I'm a first year medic at Newcastle, I'd be happy to help with any questions you may have. That UKCAT cut off seems very high! I don't think my undergrad cut off was so high (I got 705 in 2016.)

Anyhow, best of luck with your application. I'm sure you'll get an offer in 2018, just stick with it!

thanks i hope so! always wanted to do medicine and wish i got in for 2017 entry but never mind. i thought 700 was exceptionally high. maybe because Durham moved to Newcastle so probably received more applications. hoping it'll put people off this year aha :smile:
it was officially announced, i cant find the article it was on another thread officially stating every medical school will gain a certain amount of extra places and can then bid for more

Oh wow, I need to find that >.< Also I think those places are for undergraduates?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Oh wow, I need to find that >.< Also I think those places are for undergraduates?

it isnt decided where those places are going. i presume both, but never know, different unis might use their places differently. im applying for both a100 and a101 at newcastle anyways so hoping either way will go in my favour aha :smile:
it isnt decided where those places are going. i presume both, but never know, different unis might use their places differently. im applying for both a100 and a101 at newcastle anyways so hoping either way will go in my favour aha :smile:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/expanding-undergraduate-medical-education

From reading that I think it's just undergraduate students that will benefit from this, but yeah if you are applying for A100 then still goes in your favor Lol
Reply 8
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/expanding-undergraduate-medical-education

From reading that I think it's just undergraduate students that will benefit from this, but yeah if you are applying for A100 then still goes in your favor Lol

ah yes thats what i was taking about. undergraduate does apply to both a100 and a101 though. but at least its a increase and hopefully slightly less competitive
ah yes thats what i was taking about. undergraduate does apply to both a100 and a101 though. but at least its a increase and hopefully slightly less competitive

Wait does it? I thought the A100 course was undergraduate and A101 was for graduates?
Wait does it? I thought the A100 course was undergraduate and A101 was for graduates?

it is for graduates, however is still undergraduate medicine as post graduate medicine refers to speciality training
it is for graduates, however is still undergraduate medicine as post graduate medicine refers to speciality training

Oh wow, I always thought it wasn't that Lol
Anyways yeah, hopefully it will decrease competition.

I'm still looking for that Newcastle article >.<
How do Newcastle score applications?
I have 6A* 2A and 1B GCSE
4As at AS
A*A*A* prediction in Chem, bio and psychology.
I also have A*AB in theatre studies, maths and history A Levels
and UKCAT average of 745 with Band 1 SJ
Would this be enough to get an interview?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MollBritton98
How do Newcastle score applications?
I have 6A* 2A and 1B GCSE
4As at AS
A*A*A* prediction in Chem, bio and psychology.
I also have A*AB in theatre studies, maths and history A Levels
and UKCAT average of 745 with Band 1 SJ
Would this be enough to get an interview?

Newcastle select for interview by ranking applicants according to their UKCAT score, and the highest scores are selected for interview above a cut off.

With 745 you are almost guaranteed an interview here, congratulations on your score.
Original post by HopelessMedic
Newcastle select for interview by ranking applicants according to their UKCAT score, and the highest scores are selected for interview above a cut off.

With 745 you are almost guaranteed an interview here, congratulations on your score.

That's great thank you! Kind of like Sheffield then
Original post by MollBritton98
That's great thank you! Kind of like Sheffield then

Yeah, similarly you would have got an interview at both Sheffield and Southampton last year with your UKCAT.
Reply 16
If you're a graduate applying for the A100, which cutoff would apply to you? the A101 or A100?
probably the A100 one right? since the places are limited for A101 hence why the cutoff in the first place?
Original post by SiMan
If you're a graduate applying for the A100, which cutoff would apply to you? the A101 or A100?
probably the A100 one right? since the places are limited for A101 hence why the cutoff in the first place?

yes, so if you applied for a100 last year you had to have a score above or equal to 700 average, if you applied for a101 you had to have a score above or equal to 743, regardless if you have a degree or not just which ever you applied for
hi everyone

Where did you find the cut offs for Newcastle? I could only find the 2016 ones and earlier.
Original post by Capt4inCoco
Where did you find the cut offs for Newcastle? I could only find the 2016 ones and earlier.

I basically emailed them every week until they released it ahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending