The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 1 6GE01 Global Challenges (Retake) - 15th May 2017

Hi.

Is there anyone retaking AS Geography Unit 1 Global Challenges - It's the last ever paper for the specification and is for retake only - It's all going linear now!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I am!
I'm doing it but not retaking, most schools in the area didn't do the AS exam so they're all in this year's one! Will be interesting to see the grade boundaries in the summer though...
Reply 3
I am too, last time i did the exam is 2013 so should be interesting what I get
Reply 4
Has anyone got any predictions of this year's topics for exam questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A month today!
I am! any predictions for the questions?
Reply 7
I think globalisation will come up as an essay question for the human side
Something like.. examine the factors that accelerate globalisation (15)
It's like the nicest question in the world!

I think for the physical side for the short answer questions, it will be mostly on the Philippines and California as last year was Africa and Arctic
(So I assume it's going to be the other two compulsory case studies)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
What predictions would you make for section A? Do you think causes of climate change will come up? I think mititgation and adpatation might come up as it hasn't come up much, apart from in the 2014 paper.
TNCs came up a lot last year, so migration may come up, global groupings or global networks as these haven't come up in a while. Megacities may be a Section A question as last year it was only in Section B (Megacities and sustainability).
Also can someone please explain La nina and El nino I really don't understand that and it might come up.
Reply 9
Also, my Exam Timetable has this exam on 16th May 2017 instead of 15th
Reply 10
Original post by Alisha07
Also, my Exam Timetable has this exam on 16th May 2017 instead of 15th

Yeah exams on the 16th
Thread date is wrong it should say 16th

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm retaking both AS exams. I got a C last year but I need at least a B overall to get into uni. Hopefully I'll do better this year, I only got 2 marks off a B last year. But there's a lot more pressure since you have to revise all that content and then all of your A2 content for every subject!
Original post by Amefish
I'm retaking both AS exams. I got a C last year but I need at least a B overall to get into uni. Hopefully I'll do better this year, I only got 2 marks off a B last year. But there's a lot more pressure since you have to revise all that content and then all of your A2 content for every subject!

What did you get in Unit 1? I did badly in Unit 1, I panicked and messed up the paper - it was my first exam last year.
Also have you got any predictions as to what will come up this year?
Reply 13
What predictions would you make for section A? Do you think causes of climate change will come up? I think mititgation and adpatation might come up as it hasn't come up much, apart from in the 2014 paper.
TNCs came up a lot last year, so migration may come up, global groupings or global networks as these haven't come up in a while. Megacities may be a Section A question as last year it was only in Section B (Megacities and sustainability).
Also can someone please explain La nina and El nino I really don't understand that and it might come up.

Basically...
A normal year = in the West (AUS) there is low pressure systems which = rain and in East (S.America) there is high pressure systems which = sunny. On the surface of the Pacific Ocean = trade winds that move E > W which cause the warm water to move with it resulting in rain in W(evaporation, warm/moist air rises and then cools and condenses = rain clouds).
There is also a high altitude flow of air which flows the opposite way W > E. It is basically the warm moist air rising, moving east and descending in E. Also there is an upwelling of cool water in the E = no evaporation. Therefore no evaporation + high pressure system = no clouds.

SO...

La Niña is just 'intensified normal events' = Droughts in S. America and Floods in Aus.

El Niño is the reverse of this = 'floods in S.America and droughts in Aus(big dry)'. It is basically caused by a weakening in Pacific surface trade winds which allows the warm water to move E and create clouds and that.

A. I hope I'm right (all from memory), B. Sorry if it's confusing, C. Good luck.
What did you get in Unit 1? I did badly in Unit 1, I panicked and messed up the paper - it was my first exam last year.
Also have you got any predictions as to what will come up this year?

I got a B in unit 1, but a D in unit 2 :/ my teacher doesn't really give predictions of the questions, sorry
Hiya! This is a nice exam thread - I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2017

If you see any other exam threads threads that aren't in the directory yet - let me know by either tagging me in, or linking it in the directory and I can add it in! You can also find discussions for your other exams there.

If any of your other exams aren't on there yet - feel free to make the exam thread for it yourself

Good luck in your exams
Original post by Amefish
I got a B in unit 1, but a D in unit 2 :/ my teacher doesn't really give predictions of the questions, sorry

Oh Okay, thank you for explainign El nino. I hope I can remember this concept in case it comes up!
Reply 17
Dreading this exam - Do past papers really help for this exam?

Also is there a way to memorize/learn the case studies? Gone through it a few times and nothings sticking in there :frown:
Oh Okay, thank you for explainign El nino. I hope I can remember this concept in case it comes up!

Hi Alisha, regarding El Niño and la Nina events... El Niño basically refers to warm ocean currents that are found off the west coast of South America- during El-Niño, air pressure rises over the western pacific and moves towards eastern pacific ( generally air currents moving eastwards ) and during this time, south America and eastern pacific can experience torrential rainfall leading to landslides and flooding. The drier air over the western pacific can lead to drought and wildfires in south east Asia as well as Western pacific:smile: La nina is just the opposite as already said:smile: Im also retaking unit 1 though I had a weak A, hoping for full marks
Wow you got an A in Unit 1!! Do you have any tips, or revision resources? I got an A in only Unit 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending