The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Accommodation at Teesside University

Picking the right place to live when you're a student is a big part of your university journey.

Use this thread to chat about your options, find out who's interested in the same accommodation as you and ask questions about what our residences are like.

:wizard:

ps. here's the link to our accommodation pages.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm interested in staying in Central Halls. I came to the open day so had a tour of the accommodations and this was my favourite. Just looking for any extra information from anyone whose lived there or knows anything about it. Was wondering also if there's lifts or if you live on higher floors you just have to use the stairs. Any info or points at all would be appreciated :smile:
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Original post by Indiaf
I'm interested in staying in Central Halls. I came to the open day so had a tour of the accommodations and this was my favourite. Just looking for any extra information from anyone whose lived there or knows anything about it. Was wondering also if there's lifts or if you live on higher floors you just have to use the stairs. Any info or points at all would be appreciated :smile:

Hi there :biggrin:

Glad you like Central Halls!... There are lifts - very useful for when you move in! There's also a laundry on the ground floor, 24 hour wardens, communal rooms, adaptable kitchens (ideal for residents with special needs), a big bookable room with a wide screen tv... all rooms have en suites, wifi, contents insurance.

You can check out a few more facts on the Central Halls page - you might find it useful to click on the downloadable information for new residents sheet. There's also a Central Halls Facebook group that might be worth a look.

Hope to see you here soon!

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm looking to stay in either woodland halls or central halls but i was wondering what are the differences between the two halls? Also how are applicant placed in halls? Are the mixed or shared genders? Do you get to choose what floor you want to stay on etc?

Sophie
Not specific to this Uni, but student halls sound better than rented accommodation as:

1) We're all in the same boat, helping each other out with cooking and generally surviving;
2) Great way of meeting new people in the communal areas (and who knows? You might meet your life-long friends);
3) It's likely that you're never gonna be able to experience halls if you don't do so in yr 1;
3) You have a team to go to for help.

However, I've heard some stuff that has put me off slightly: noisy roommates (which can be worse in rented accom. of course), but apparently the student team overseeing halls don't actually do much to help. At best they may offer another room, but you may still end up with a bunch of yobbos who don't have any common decency.

It's a gamble, that's for sure :s-smilie:
Original post by soph.cxddi3
I'm looking to stay in either woodland halls or central halls but i was wondering what are the differences between the two halls? Also how are applicant placed in halls? Are the mixed or shared genders? Do you get to choose what floor you want to stay on etc?

Sophie

Hi Sophie

You can check out what the different halls offer online... Have a look at the Woodlands Hall page and the Central Halls page.

Both are popular choices and both very handy for getting to town, lectures, the library, SU etc. Both offer en suites and shared facilities. Both have single rooms, live in wardens, wifi, on site laundry, bills included, contents insurance. Both buildings are mixed gender.

Some key points:

Woodlands is £12 cheaper a week (£98 at Woodlands vs £110 at Central)

Central is newer, more modern in style and larger

Woodlands is set back from the main road, closer to the local park

Both have a community feel and are divided into smaller clusters (so you can get to know your neighbours)

It's really down to personal preference which one you go for - if you're able to attend one of our upcoming open days (next one Saturday 25 February) you can tour both sites and have a look at what the rooms are like.

You can also call or email our accommodation team on 01642 342255, [email protected] to chat in more detail about your options.

If you have specific requests about being on a particular floor level or any other kind of requirement you can request this when you apply - the accommodation team will cater for your preferences wherever possible :smile:. You can find out about the application process here.

Hope this answers some of your queries.

:redface:
Just a quick reminder that you can check out the accommodation available at Teesside University here.

Hi

I went to the teesside open day back on the 25th of February, i have now changed my mind about accommodation and was wondering if i could have more information about west parkside village? Also what is the difference between west parkside and east parkside apart from the fact west parkside is going to be newly refurbished over the summer?

Sophie
Original post by soph.cxddi3
Hi

I went to the teesside open day back on the 25th of February, i have now changed my mind about accommodation and was wondering if i could have more information about west parkside village? Also what is the difference between west parkside and east parkside apart from the fact west parkside is going to be newly refurbished over the summer?

Sophie

Hi Sophie :smile:

Have you checked out the West Parkside Village page on our website?

Drop our accommodation team a line on 01642 342255 or [email protected] and they'll run through your questions with you :wink:.

Thanks!
Reply 9
Original post by Ibbiali
Yeah I'm a current student at Teesside Last year this time I was on student room literally looking for the same things about accommodation central is really dead this year woodlands is really lively, you get to pick what mixed or single gender and if you apply early you get to pick what floor.

What is the internet like in the different halls? Where would you say has the best?
Original post by Zakark
What is the internet like in the different halls? Where would you say has the best?

Free internet is available in all halls - all the same standard :smile: :redface:
How can i pay the accomodation? I mean: Are there aids? Like the tuition fee.

Included the tuition fee the accomodation?

(apologize for my english)
Original post by MiguelMata
How can i pay the accomodation? I mean: Are there aids? Like the tuition fee.

Included the tuition fee the accomodation?

(apologize for my english)

Hi Miguel

Lots of students choose to apply for a student maintenance loan to help cover the costs of university accommodation (and other living costs). You can have a look at this in detail on the GOV UK student finance page.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Original post by Teesside University
Hi Miguel

Lots of students choose to apply for a student maintenance loan to help cover the costs of university accommodation (and other living costs). You can have a look at this in detail on the GOV UK student finance page.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi.
Thank for your answer.

My problem is that i am not from UK, i'm from Spain. Can I take helps or something?
Original post by MiguelMata
Hi.
Thank for your answer.

My problem is that i am not from UK, i'm from Spain. Can I take helps or something?

Hi Miguel

As you're from an EU country you may be eligible for a tuition fee loan - scroll down to point 5 on this GOV UK student finance page. If you were able to access this it may take the burden off you a little financially and make your accommodation costs easier to manage. There are no loans available solely for accommodation but I've listed a few other options you may like to look into below:

If you were to study at Teesside University it's likely that you'd be eligible for a £500 Kickstart award - scroll down to the EU scholarships section of this international student scholarships page.

Another thing for you to look into is Teesside University's information on costs, scholarships and discounts for international students. This page gives some guidance on the cost of living and details of some further scholarships you may be eligible for.

You can read more about international student guidance for accommodation here.

If you'd like to talk through your options for paying for university study you're very welcome to get in touch with Teesside University's student finance team on +44 (0)1642 342297 or [email protected].

Hope this helps. Please ask further questions if you need anything.

Is there a general round estimate for how long it takes to get an accomodation offer once submitted? I think I submitted... one week ago? And I'm worrying that I might be F5'ing my outlook account a bit too often.

Is there a general idea of when you can expect to hear back once submitted?
Original post by IAmCalledJacob
Is there a general round estimate for how long it takes to get an accomodation offer once submitted? I think I submitted... one week ago? And I'm worrying that I might be F5'ing my outlook account a bit too often.

Is there a general idea of when you can expect to hear back once submitted?

Hi there

Everyone who has applied for accommodation already will hear about their offer by the end of May :smile: (the accommodation team are currently working through your preferences to make sure they can offer the most suitable place available).

After the end of May, new accommodation applicants can expect to receive an offer within two weeks of applying.

Hope this helps! Thanks for your patience. Drop us a message on here or email [email protected] if you need anything in the meantime.

Hi there

Everyone who has applied for accommodation already will hear about their offer by the end of May :smile: (the accommodation team are currently working through your preferences to make sure they can offer the most suitable place available).

After the end of May, new accommodation applicants can expect to receive an offer within two weeks of applying.

Hope this helps! Thanks for your patience. Drop us a message on here or email [email protected] if you need anything in the meantime.

Thanks a lot. That's put my mind at ease!
Reply 18
If anybody is stuck for accommodation, I have a room spare in my house for next year (I am a Teesside student) with one other student! £70 per week including bills!
Hi there

Hi, I'm just wondering, what should I do if I still haven't heard back - considering it's the end of May? Both the myaccomodation website and outlook address I was given haven't been updated since I applied in April, they just say the app was "processed".

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending