The Student Room Group

Anyone doing the A level Physics 2017 A2 empa resit?

I don't know what to do to prepare for it. I am resitting it as a private candidate in an exam centre I have never been to, and they have not offered any tutoring. I just completely suck at EMPAs and I just want to get at least a C on this one. I just want some tips and rules that can help. Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Danny Dorito so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by crazychitchat
I don't know what to do to prepare for it. I am resitting it as a private candidate in an exam centre I have never been to, and they have not offered any tutoring. I just completely suck at EMPAs and I just want to get at least a C on this one. I just want some tips and rules that can help. Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Wow this is amazing , Im doing the exact same thing and thought no one else would be! I`m preparing for it at the moment. its best to search online for resources. Look on youtube for preparation videos especially ones by sophie allen. Do all the past papers by completing the questions that dont need results for ,hope this helps, may i ask which centre you are doing it at?
Original post by allofthestars
Hello,

Wow this is amazing , Im doing the exact same thing and thought no one else would be! I`m preparing for it at the moment. its best to search online for resources. Look on youtube for preparation videos especially ones by sophie allen. Do all the past papers by completing the questions that dont need results for ,hope this helps, may i ask which centre you are doing it at?

I'm doing mine at Cherry Hill, thanks for telling me about the Sophie Allen videos I'll be sure to watch them!
Original post by crazychitchat
I'm doing mine at Cherry Hill, thanks for telling me about the Sophie Allen videos I'll be sure to watch them!

i can email you some resources if this could help?
i can email you some resources if this could help?

Yeah that will be cool, or just message them to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Are any of you retaking any physics A2 exams as well? I'm doing the EMPA and PH5A.
Original post by Further
Are any of you retaking any physics A2 exams as well? I'm doing the EMPA and PH5A.

I'm doing them all again for a2!

Unit 4 5a and empa!
Reply 8
Where are the Sophie Allen videos, I can't seem to find them on youtube?
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln-FCnZ4718
Also doing this.

Would it be worth creating some sort of group on fb or whatsapp to share resources?
I've got my EMPA resit tomorrow and I'm so stressed because I'm the only one resitting so school couldn't do a mock EMPA for me so I've had no prep for it
Original post by astrostar29
Also doing this.

Would it be worth creating some sort of group on fb or whatsapp to share resources?

This sounds like a good idea!
Original post by heatherlomax
I've got my EMPA resit tomorrow and I'm so stressed because I'm the only one resitting so school couldn't do a mock EMPA for me so I've had no prep for it

What are you worrying about? Maybe we can give advice? Just look over past papers and understand a lot of how to calculate uncertainties and you're sorted!
What are you worrying about? Maybe we can give advice? Just look over past papers and understand a lot of how to calculate uncertainties and you're sorted!

Thank you, I've done that and I'm going to have a look at some youtube videos, I just want to get an A to take the pressure off the exams so I wish I'd had a mock empa to just remind me of how it all goes kinda thing. I'm guessing it'll just be a capacitor and then a pendulum/spring mass system but I'm just thinking they might mix it up because we're the last people who can sit it!! :frown:
Original post by heatherlomax

I'm doing the exact same thing! How did it go??
Reply 16
I've got the Empa a week monday. I've been going over SHM and capacitors for ages hoping the questions will be easier then last year. Really need a good grade for this and running out of ways to revise it
Not really sure what all these acronyms mean, but if anyone has specific questions, feel free...
Original post by Ciaranm7
I've got the Empa a week monday. I've been going over SHM and capacitors for ages hoping the questions will be easier then last year. Really need a good grade for this and running out of ways to revise it

so on the 15th ? does your collage or examination centre know that it has to be sent to aqa by the 15th?
Original post by Illgesi
Not really sure what all these acronyms mean, but if anyone has specific questions, feel free...

EMPA is the externally marked practical assessment . SHM is simple harmonic motion , dunno what else you didnt know ?

Quick Reply

Latest