The Student Room Group

Does anyone else find it harder to study in the library?

Alot of people talk about the library being a great place to study, but does anyone else find it harder to study in the library compared with at home?

I find all the tapping of keyboards, people walking around etc way too distracting. Also, if you're not 'feeling' studying at that time, you have to walk home then come back again.

Althoughhh, if I'm revising and not doing an essay, I sometimes like the library. But for essays - definitely not!

Maybe I'm weird! Hah
(edited 6 years ago)
nah the library is actually banter. so many weird people there its fun.

but honestly you cant really study if you dont feel like it no matter the place- i prefer the library because I actually get work done
Original post by zoofie
Alot of people talk about the library being a great place to study, but does anyone else find it harder to study in the library compared with at home?

I find all the tapping of keyboards, people walking around etc way too distracting. Also, if you're not 'feeling' studying at that time, you have to walk home then come back again.

Maybe I'm weird! Haha

Actually, I know what you mean. It's as if the silence in a library somehow amplifies all those little noises like keyboards, chairs scraping across floors, coughing... They can be the noisiest silent places.
Reply 3
I find that it doesn't really help with the standard of my work, but been in the library allows me to get into the studying mindset.
Reply 4
There is a silent study section at my uni, you could only really hear people when they got up and leave. If anything, I could never study at home. I got motivation when I saw other people studying.
Reply 5
I exclusively work at home. Our library is too noisy (even in the silent bits) and I have a better collection of relevant books etc than they do. I can use their online perks from here.
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
I exclusively work at home. Our library is too noisy (even in the silent bits) and I have a better collection of relevant books etc than they do. I can use their online perks from here.

Same. I thought I'd give the lirbrary a try again as it seems the 'normal' thing to study in there. But im just so unproductive for me!
Reply 7
Original post by zoofie
Same. I thought I'd give the lirbrary a try again as it seems the 'normal' thing to study in there. But im just so unproductive for me!

All about what works better for you, really. There's no one-size-fits-all with this stuff.
I have to talk a lot to myself when i memorise , so privacy of my room is best XD
Reply 9
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I have to talk a lot to myself when i memorise , so privacy of my room is best XD

Haha, makes sense!
depends which library. in our local Library the homeless people have what they call a job but before you say good for them this so called job basically involves finding Iphones/Ipads and laptops left for a few seconds by people that they then take and sell to a local shop for cheap who knows exactly what they are doing and has set this up.

I am a dead man if I report this I know the shop owner will be giving the police back handers its basically a recipe for my coffin. even if not many of these homeless people have done time and you know the saying snitches get stitches etc.

On many occasions a homeless person would try to strike up conversation with me by identifying my phone as the Iphone six "is that the new one then" (dont they have the Iphone 7 out now anyway not sure) then went on about the security features and the find my IPhone etc.

The final straw came when one of them tried to follow me home but I lost him and that was that never using that library again.

So someone suggested I looked into university Library and I found out I can get a reference membership for a local university library I just cant take books out but I dont need to.

So Now I use that library full time and its a good place to get work done. Plus their is no rush for the good desk as there are plenty of desks so I can hold a lift if a fat girl comes and wont have to repeat that incident in the local library. not my proudest moment.

Quick Reply

Latest