The Student Room Group

Favorite childhood book

Mine was The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein.

Very moving story about extreme self sacrifice by a tree for the boy that grew her.

As a child he eats her fruits, climbs her trunk, swings from her branches.

As an adult he sells her apple for money and uses her branches to build a house and eventually cuts her trunk down to make a boat and sail around the world.

At an old age the boy returns to her and she tells him that she has nothing more to give (she is merely a stump now) but the boy says he merely wants a place to sit down, which she can provide.

What's your favorite childhood book?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Biff and Chip
Original post by queenofswords

Very moving story about extreme self sacrifice by a tree for the boy that grew her.

As an adult he sells her apple for money and uses her branches to build a house and eventually cuts her trunk down to make a boat and sail the world.

At an old age the boy returns to her and she tells him that she has nothing more to give (she is merely a stump now) but the boy says he merely wants a place to sit down, which she can provide.

What's your favorite childhood book?

a bit juvenile but it has to be the funny bones and the gruffalo without a doubt
Original post by zayn008
Biff and Chip

The Magic Key? Omg I remember those books

Original post by filmaker
a bit juvenile but it has to be the funny bones and the gruffalo without a doubt

I love funny bones !!!
Reply 4
Probably some Famous 5 one. I was a voracious reader, can't think of an enduring fave, really.
Anything by Enid Blyton.
Reply 6
Them shape books when i was 3. There were like a different shape. Like a train with like different shapes and it told a story. It was usually a shiny piece of colour as a shape inside the book.
Good memories.:colondollar:
Don't have any anymore.
Does anyone know what there called.
And obviously who could forgot The Magic Key.
(edited 7 years ago)

As an adult he sells her apple for money and uses her branches to build a house and eventually cuts her trunk down to make a boat and sail around the world.

What's your favourite childhood book?

Harry Potter! (okay, it's so... normal)

I'll go with 'A Series of Unfortunate Events'... Idk why, I just liked the series. :dontknow:
It's about some orphans who get transferred from home to home, and this villain keeps trying to capture them and steal their inheritance.
It's a little weird, but I like it!
Lol not really a book but the beano annuals :love: then my mum threw them all away.
Original post by Faloodeh
Lol not really a book but the beano annuals :love: then my mum threw them all away.

Is beano the same thing as Dennis the Menace? I've always wondered
Reply 10

Dennis the Menance?
With the black and red shirt?
Original post by ClearSky
I'll go with 'A Series of Unfortunate Events'... Idk why, I just liked the series. :dontknow:
It's about some orphans who get transferred from home to home, and this villain keeps trying to capture them and steal their inheritance.
It's a little weird, but I like it!

Omg the film was great too
Reply 12

The comic that the British Dennis the Menace appeared in. He's like their mascot and main character.
Original post by gjd800
The comic that the British Dennis the Menace appeared in. He's like their mascot and main character.

Oh right , makes sense. The American Dennis is much different

Yeah theyre the main characters. I had a whole bunch like scooby doo and the dandy omgg :frown:

Original post by OGGUS
Dennis the Menance?
With the black and red shirt?

Oui
War and Peace

How much do they cost normally?

I found loads of them on sale for 10p in Sainsbury's. No lie. :colone:

Omg the film was great too

I haven't seen the film, but yeah, I've heard it's great! :smile:
Reply 17
Yeah theyre the main characters. I had a whole bunch like scooby doo and the dandy omgg :frown:

Oui

I have every Beano and Dandy annual since 1970 or something, haha. Had them every year snce I was about 4 anyway and bought most of the others as a job lot when I was pissed :lol: Did the same with Asterix & Obelix!
Original post by ClearSky
How much do they cost normally?

I found loads of them on sale for 10p in Sainsbury's. No lie. :colone:

I haven't seen the film, but yeah, I've heard it's great! :smile:

Dont remember but if theyre so cheap I might go and collect them all again :colondollar: for childhoods sake

You should watch it omg. I loved the books though
Original post by gjd800
I have every Beano and Dandy annual since 1970 or something, haha. Had them every year snce I was about 4 anyway and bought most of the others as a job lot when I was pissed :lol: Did the same with Asterix & Obelix!

Im generally not even a comic person but they were great.
Im so jealous :cry: I got them every year too but.. smh. I think i got mine from 2005 onwards tho.
Asterix and obelix hhh :love:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending