The Student Room Group

PGDE Applications 2017 (Scotland)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tobyjug
I think the 4th May might be more accurate!!! Got e mail today from Edinburgh saying I'm on a waiting list and can't guarantee when they will Be finalising the offers!!!
😬

I got the same email! It'll definitely be 4th May now then, and I guess it's really just a numbers game at this point? Completely depends on where you are on the waiting list and how many people decline their offers.
Reply 301
I'd have thought that, on the basis of workload alone, travelling between Edinburgh and Glasgow would be fairly unworkable. Even travelling within Edinburgh it can take over an hour to get to where you want to go.
I just found out I definitely didn't get a place on the PGDE Primary at Edinburgh. I hope other people on the waiting list have a better outcome :smile:
Reply 303
Quick question, but does anyone know how likely it is to get an offer from Edinburgh for PGDE primary when your higher results will be pending (didn't do them but have a 2.i MA and an LLB)
Reply 304
Original post by version1234
I just found out I definitely didn't get a place on the PGDE Primary at Edinburgh. I hope other people on the waiting list have a better outcome :smile:

That's unfortunate. When did they make decision. I'm still waiting but not hopeful at all.
Reply 305
Original post by Ziri
Quick question, but does anyone know how likely it is to get an offer from Edinburgh for PGDE primary when your higher results will be pending (didn't do them but have a 2.i MA and an LLB)

They do give conditional offers for those awaiting results, so should be ok
The qualifications for admission to the PGDE (Primary) are: A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent is preferred. SQA Higher English at grade C or above (or equivalent) in English or GCSE English (Language) and English Literature both at C or better. SQA National 5 Mathematics at grade B or above, GCSE Mathematics at grade B or above, or equivalent.
Hi everyone!

I've tried to go through all of the messages here but there are quite a lot so first of all congrats to everyone who has received an offer this year!

I am planning on applying this year to start next year and hoping to get a bit of a head start. In 2012 I started the PGDE in secondary teaching but after 6 months I had to give it up due to problems at home. I have since realised I should have gone for primary teaching all along. I have a bachelor degree in history, C in high English and 2 in standard grade maths. I done a lot of work in schools whilst doing my PGDE and also the following year when I volunteered in a primary school 1 day a week for a year. I don't have anything more recent though so just wondering if you think my experience is a bit too outdated? I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant and due in Sept. I have a 2 year old as well and work full time mon-fri so finding time to volunteer would be a bit tricky but I could hopefully work something out! X
Reply 308
Original post by Terri1990
Hi everyone!

I've tried to go through all of the messages here but there are quite a lot so first of all congrats to everyone who has received an offer this year!

I am planning on applying this year to start next year and hoping to get a bit of a head start. In 2012 I started the PGDE in secondary teaching but after 6 months I had to give it up due to problems at home. I have since realised I should have gone for primary teaching all along. I have a bachelor degree in history, C in high English and 2 in standard grade maths. I done a lot of work in schools whilst doing my PGDE and also the following year when I volunteered in a primary school 1 day a week for a year. I don't have anything more recent though so just wondering if you think my experience is a bit too outdated? I'm currently 20 weeks pregnant and due in Sept. I have a 2 year old as well and work full time mon-fri so finding time to volunteer would be a bit tricky but I could hopefully work something out! X

I think the best thing to do would be to e mail the universities you intend applying to and ask them if they would be looking for applicants with recent experience.
Good luck 😉
Hello everyone! Its been interesting reading through everyone experiences. I am currently applying through clearing after working as TEFL teacher this summer. As I'm still currently abroad I will be doing a Skype interview and was hoping to hear from people who have been through this. What is the format and what kind of questions? Also is anyone else going through the clearing process? It seems so stressful!
Hi, I hope to apply to do primary teaching this year and plan to apply to Dundee and Aberdeen as they are commutable for me. I have a 2:1 business degree and also have a pgdip in career guidance so for the last 10 years I have been based in a high school as a careers adviser. I'm worried about my lack of experience in primary schools though as I randomly contacted Edinburgh uni for advice and they replied that they are not interested in my secondary school experience. I have a 6 yr old and 4 yr old with no family nearby for child care so I am only managing to grab an hour here and an hour there of work experience but I have no idea if it will be enough. For that reason I was going to wait until closer to the deadline date to apply so that I have gained more experience before submitting.
From what I’ve heard speaking with the tutors at uni places fill up so fast I think you would be better applying early and talk mention your planned work experience you will be undertaking. Places were finalised for Glasgow by start of jan. this year I’ve been told that Glasgow uni have only 60 spaces for primary where as this year they have 250 so I think it’s going to be more competitive across all unis this year. Best of luck!
Original post by beckarecka
From what I’ve heard speaking with the tutors at uni places fill up so fast I think you would be better applying early and talk mention your planned work experience you will be undertaking. Places were finalised for Glasgow by start of jan. this year I’ve been told that Glasgow uni have only 60 spaces for primary where as this year they have 250 so I think it’s going to be more competitive across all unis this year. Best of luck!

I got email from gla today for the course and they said interviews be during dec - march so they cannot have all places finalised by jan.
Original post by laurenmurray3112
I got email from gla today for the course and they said interviews be during dec - march so they cannot have all places finalised by jan.

Think it depends if you’re going for primary or secondary and I’m only relating what Glasgow uni tutors have said about primary positions. Secondary is more flexible and they had positions in clearing this year.
Hi there,Regarding references. I'd be grateful for comments/advice.I've been getting some experience in a school since the start of term. I've toured around various classes which has been brilliant however nobody knows me and theres no one individual I feel I could ask for a reference. The headteacher may be able to confirm Ive attended the school for experience but probably can't comment much more.On the other hand my employer (non education related) would probably give me a really good reference.So, do I ask the head teacher for what would be a rather limited reference, or do I ask my employer for more in-depth, non education relate reference?Thanks in advance.
Jodie, Can I ask how you got on with this and did it go well for you? I'm hoping to apply soon for academic year 2018/19 and am afraid I haven't got a hope. I have an Honours Degree (2.2) from an Irish university, and have experience working with children (volunteered in a classroom when I was a teenager, worked with sick children, au paired in France) but I only have a C in my Irish Leaving Certificate (which I think is the equivalent of the Scottish Highers). Does anyone know if it's still worth applying or should I chase another dream?Thanks!!
Original post by JodieL101
Aww that's great your cousin got accepted! My only worry is that there is a much higher demand for primary teaching, finished my personal statement.. I think but just need to find someone to give me a reference for my UCAS application! How are you all getting on with ucas?

Have you applied yet? I’m applying for the same as u? I’ve appied for uws Glasgow Strathclyde and Edinburgh!
Original post by Meganng8
Have you applied yet? I’m applying for the same as u? I’ve appied for uws Glasgow Strathclyde and Edinburgh!

Ive applied to the same ones as you Megan! I have an interview lined up for uws, Strath rejected me. I am going to look for feedback/appeal the decision with them however, as the reason they gave me for rejecting me wasnt really fair
Original post by laurenmurray3112
Ive applied to the same ones as you Megan! I have an interview lined up for uws, Strath rejected me. I am going to look for feedback/appeal the decision with them however, as the reason they gave me for rejecting me wasnt really fair

I have an interiview also? Probs the same day! I haven’t heard back from any other uni tho? Why did they reject you? When did you submit ur application?
Original post by Meganng8
I have an interiview also? Probs the same day! I haven’t heard back from any other uni tho? Why did they reject you? When did you submit ur application?

whens your interview?! and they rejected me saying i dont have enough experience with kids etc - i dont have a huge amount, but i currently volunteer and help out at an after school club 2 times a week, my work hours dont allow me to volunteer in classes without taking holidays & im also a primary carer for my mum so i don't see why theyve rejected me, its not through choice ive not got huge experience

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending