The Student Room Group

Got an research assistant job interview

Hi, I've got a research assistant/administrator interview at a mental health group (that works through the NHS). I've been wanting a research assistant job but have been unsuccessful because of limited research experience (beyond my psychology degree, MSc and a temp job). Any tips on questions and how to prepare? I've been researching the organisation and brushing up my Excel (as I get tested on it according to the JD/PS).

I really want this job, because it's relatively local and it would give me valuable experience to develop a career in research. So any tips on what to expect, what questions I could get etc. would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Make sure you have good knowledge of the general subject of mental health, not just the company you are applying for, but the wider sector. This shows that you are keeping up to date, good awareness and can be beneficial to a research role.

Comb through your past experience - work experience and university. Is there anything can be applied to a research role? Did you do a big project that demonstrates good research skills, etc. Employers would want to know how you would work in this role.

My friend applied for a research assistant role (although it was a science lab). She quoted her work experience in a previous lab, talked about her old job working in a care home (dealing with challenging patients, good organisation and communication, remaining calm under pressure) and her dissertation project. She is also passionate about her subject area, which helps! She got the role, and after that, she got accepted to do a PhD in Newcastle!
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
Make sure you have good knowledge of the general subject of mental health, not just the company you are applying for, but the wider sector. This shows that you are keeping up to date, good awareness and can be beneficial to a research role.

Comb through your past experience - work experience and university. Is there anything can be applied to a research role? Did you do a big project that demonstrates good research skills, etc. Employers would want to know how you would work in this role.

My friend applied for a research assistant role (although it was a science lab). She quoted her work experience in a previous lab, talked about her old job working in a care home (dealing with challenging patients, good organisation and communication, remaining calm under pressure) and her dissertation project. She is also passionate about her subject area, which helps! She got the role, and after that, she got accepted to do a PhD in Newcastle!

Just realised my typo in the thread title, it's because I put interview then rearranged my sentence. So much for talking about attention to detail in my application form :rolleyes:.
I temped as a telephone interviewer for a research agency, where I collected data for two projects, I rang participants up and asked them questions over the phone and typed up their responses in verbatim (which I used to demonstrate experience of market research in the application). I've done quantitative and qualitative research assessments for my psychology degree and my MSc in health psychology. Both dissertations used qualitative research.

Thanks for your help, do you know what questions she was asked (granted they're not identical jobs but similar)?
I am not sure exactly. I think they asked her about the area the research was in, and she talked about relevant and new studies. They asked her about the lab experience she has and her dissertation, what kinds of things she did and what sector she was researching. She was also asked about her previous jobs listed on her CV. I think the emphasis was more on the subject side and the research side, as this was more relevant to the role.
Reply 4
Original post by cheesecakelove
I am not sure exactly. I think they asked her about the area the research was in, and she talked about relevant and new studies. They asked her about the lab experience she has and her dissertation, what kinds of things she did and what sector she was researching. She was also asked about her previous jobs listed on her CV. I think the emphasis was more on the subject side and the research side, as this was more relevant to the role.

No worries, you've been really helpful. I wouldn't be a research assistant in an academic context, it's just regular desk research so in terms of the research area I would just have the area of mental health to talk about. I've got Excel, IT, numeracy and CRM (MS Dynamics) tests as well, has anyone had to do these before?
Reply 5
How did you get on with your application for this role? I have seen a Research Assistant's job also in the field of mental health but this is a university. I live with mental health issues myself and have managed to attain 2 degrees. Do you think it would be a hindrance to my application if I brought it up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending