The Student Room Group

English literature!Help pls

I'm kinda all over the place right now with the English lit gcse anyone have any good tips for example:
- Good words so I don't repeat myself and also to describe characters from e.g. AIC CC or Macbeth?
-How to always link back to the question? I tend to go off and say other things irrelevant so how to always stick to the question
-sentence starters?
-Any other tips?
Thank you to anyone that replies-Much appreciated!
Bump
Reply 2
For Inspector calls and Macbeth, rather than using a different sentence starter, keep it basic and use the question then give two adjectives for as a point. (Because if you start your sentences unusually, you technically in some cases, may end up going astray, and not answering the question. For Macbeth especially, make sure, that practically most of your essay is based from the play as a whole and not the extract, because the extract alone is equivalent to 12/34.

An inspector calls example
e.g. I think Priestley presents Sybil Birling as a cold-hearted, egotistical woman. Mrs Birling is a prominent member of the Brumley's Woman Charity Organisation. She is also suppose to be as a philanthropist, (which was a charitable woman, with morality) however the audience learns that the warmth and integrity she shows in Act one, is a facade. This is evident when she says Eva Smith "was claiming elaborate and fine feelings and scruples, which were simply absurd of a girl in her position".

A01 for this quote is : is she taking responsibility? Why is her fine feelings absurd? What does she mean "in her position"*(A03)

A02 : The present participle "claiming". The alliterative language "fine feelings" (Include analysis of the 'f' sounds) The adjective "elaborate"

A03 : (link the question to the context of what you have said for A01&A02) For instance, This is based on Sybil Birling. So include

Her Capitalist views, that a women could take care of themselves, or have a man to do that.

She takes no responsibility, which links to Outspensky's Theory of Time (which is the second inspector coming in and restarting the process)

Exploration of her views on Eva and the working class

Reputation and social status.

To not repeat, just use different adjectives, variation of quotes from all the acts and scenes, because the play isn't the same throughout. So a tip is to avoid using a long quote and embedding it for more than a paragraph, as you are not focusing on the play as a whole.
Original post by R.n_321
I'm kinda all over the place right now with the English lit gcse anyone have any good tips for example:
- Good words so I don't repeat myself and also to describe characters from e.g. AIC CC or Macbeth?
-How to always link back to the question? I tend to go off and say other things irrelevant so how to always stick to the question
-sentence starters?
-Any other tips?
Thank you to anyone that replies-Much appreciated!

if you want to link back to the question, follow the peel paragraph structure
Point
evidence (for english that should be a quote)
explanation (why you chose the quote, what it shows - words/punctuation used,the effect, why the writer chose that, techniques)
link (link back to the question, e.g if the question is 'how does shakespeare use the powerful language in this section?' finish the paragraph with 'to summarise shakespeare uses powerful langauage in this section with the quote blah blah as it foreshadows the killing later in the scene')
Original post by akpo
For Inspector calls and Macbeth, rather than using a different sentence starter, keep it basic and use the question then give two adjectives for as a point. (Because if you start your sentences unusually, you technically in some cases, may end up going astray, and not answering the question. For Macbeth especially, make sure, that practically most of your essay is based from the play as a whole and not the extract, because the extract alone is equivalent to 12/34.

An inspector calls example
e.g. I think Priestley presents Sybil Birling as a cold-hearted, egotistical woman. Mrs Birling is a prominent member of the Brumley's Woman Charity Organisation. She is also suppose to be as a philanthropist, (which was a charitable woman, with morality) however the audience learns that the warmth and integrity she shows in Act one, is a facade. This is evident when she says Eva Smith "was claiming elaborate and fine feelings and scruples, which were simply absurd of a girl in her position".

A01 for this quote is : is she taking responsibility? Why is her fine feelings absurd? What does she mean "in her position"*(A03)

A02 : The present participle "claiming". The alliterative language "fine feelings" (Include analysis of the 'f' sounds) The adjective "elaborate"

A03 : (link the question to the context of what you have said for A01&A02) For instance, This is based on Sybil Birling. So include

Her Capitalist views, that a women could take care of themselves, or have a man to do that.

She takes no responsibility, which links to Outspensky's Theory of Time (which is the second inspector coming in and restarting the process)

Exploration of her views on Eva and the working class

Reputation and social status.

To not repeat, just use different adjectives, variation of quotes from all the acts and scenes, because the play isn't the same throughout. So a tip is to avoid using a long quote and embedding it for more than a paragraph, as you are not focusing on the play as a whole.

Omg I can't thank you enough!this is so good thank you so much
I'm going to attempt a quick paragraph following what you said. So also A02 you get marks on layers of meaning and also thoughtful layers of meaning?(including structure?)
Also some of the words you used when I try synonyms for some it sometimes doesn't make sense in context of the answer I am writing so should I just avoid that?
Reply 5
Original post by R.n_321
Omg I can't thank you enough!this is so good thank you so much
I'm going to attempt a quick paragraph following what you said. So also A02 you get marks on layers of meaning and also thoughtful layers of meaning?(including structure?)
Also some of the words you used when I try synonyms for some it sometimes doesn't make sense in context of the answer I am writing so should I just avoid that?

A02 is : Analyse the language, form and structure used by a writer to create meanings and effects, using relevant subject terminology where appropriate.

Avoid using synonyms, if it doesn't suit the context of your answer. A01 is for interpretation supported by a judicious quotation and being able to mantain a critical response, but, for giving analysing the language devices used, that is A02
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by akpo
A02 is : Analyse the language, form and structure used by a writer to create meanings and effects, using relevant subject terminology where appropriate.

Avoid using synonyms, if it doesn't suit the context of your answer. A01 is for interpretation supported by a judicious quotation and being able to mantain a critical response, but, for giving analysing the language devices used, that is A02

Ohh okay - Same goes for the love and relationships poetry comparison and unseen then too for A02?
Reply 7
YES
on one condition. Do not include Context
Be extremely comparative in each paragraph e.g.
Sonnet 29 shows romantic love through this... (A01)
This is evident when she says "Renew...Rustle"
The language is alliterative, the "r'' sounds are used to convey passion for her lover (a03 - who is robert browning)
This means....(A02-because you are talking about language) This could mean.....(A01)
Whereas, Singh song potrays romantic love through....(A01)
This is evident when he says "She say... I say" (A02)
The use of rhyming couplets could be a representation of their close relationship. The soft 's' sounds make the poem sound musical and metrical. (A02/A01) This could mean... (A01)

From this point, it depends on how many quotes for poems you have learn't to carry this process.
Learn quotes that have many interpretations and deep potential meanings from your opinion. Because a verb with no interpretation means nothing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by akpo
YES
on one condition. Do not include Context
Be extremely comparative in each paragraph e.g.
Sonnet 29 shows romantic love through this... (A01)
This is evident when she says "Renew...Rustle"
The language is alliterative, the "r'' sounds are used to convey passion for her lover (a03 - who is robert browning)
This means....(A02-because you are talking about language) This could mean.....(A01)
Whereas, Singh song potrays romantic love through....(A01)
This is evident when he says "She say... I say" (A02)
The use of rhyming couplets could be a representation of their close relationship. The soft 's' sounds make the poem sound musical and metrical. (A02/A01) This could mean... (A01)

From this point, it depends on how many quotes for poems you have learn't to carry this process.
Learn quotes that have many interpretations and deep potential meanings from your opinion. Because a verb with no interpretation means nothing.

Thank you! That cleared up some confusion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest