The Student Room Group

CIE iGCSE History 0470

Will the Paper 2 topic, Treaty of Versailles, definitely not come up as a question in Paper 1 or is that just a myth?

Scroll to see replies

Treaty of Versailles is only in paper 2. However, League of Nations, Road to War and your depth study is definitely coming up in paper 1 so all you really need to be prepared to answer 4,6 and 10 markers on, are those.
Original post by studentgcse8548
Treaty of Versailles is only in paper 2. However, League of Nations, Road to War and your depth study is definitely coming up in paper 1 so all you really need to be prepared to answer 4,6 and 10 markers on, are those.

I am asking for a friend what are 4,6 and 10 markers?

Are you sure of this? As I have seen a question on the Treaty of Versailles on every single past paper 1 I have looked at! If we are taking the same course, it seems that the questions we can answer are 1 on the Treaty of Versailles, 1 on League of Nations/Road to War,and 1 on Origins of the Cold War.....?
Treaty of Versailles will be on paper 2. Therefore it cannot be on paper 1. If you want to be sneaky, you would have realised that league of nations and road to war will definitely come up, so therefore if you only revise for that and your depth study, you are set. It alternates between June and November. That is why some paper 1 have treaty of Versailles.
Original post by ssharma123
Treaty of Versailles will be on paper 2. Therefore it cannot be on paper 1. If you want to be sneaky, you would have realised that league of nations and road to war will definitely come up, so therefore if you only revise for that and your depth study, you are set. It alternates between June and November. That is why some paper 1 have treaty of Versailles.

Sorry -- why is it definite that the Road to War and the League of Nations will come up? I understand that one will, but why two? The Paper 1 outline on the CIE page states that the paper will include 4 "topics" of the 7 on the syllabus (which are: The Treaty of Versailles/other treaties; League of Nations; Road to War; Origins of Cold War; Korea Cuba Vietnam; Communist Russia; and Iran-Iraq). Additionally, for this ^ reason, why should the Treaty of Versailles not come up in Paper 1? I know that it is in paper 2 but I have not come across anything on the CIE Website/Syllabus suggesting that it can't also come up in Paper 1, and I have seen several past papers from both June and November with questions on the Treaty of Versailles on them.
I am not trying to prove you but rather hoping to get to the bottom of this confusion!
Actually don't worry, I get it!
Any other thoughts on what might come up?
Original post by anonymousp
Any other thoughts on what might come up?

People think topic 6 might come up as it hasn't appeared much in recent years...
But I don't really trust guesses so I'm just revising topics 2 and 3 in great detail
(To be assured 1 topic in part 2 of paper 1 you have to revise atlas 3 topics which is a bit of a waste of time tbh)
What are you revising?
Also, are you learning all of depth? - I am
Original post by koala789
People think topic 6 might come up as it hasn't appeared much in recent years...
But I don't really trust guesses so I'm just revising topics 2 and 3 in great detail
(To be assured 1 topic in part 2 of paper 1 you have to revise atlas 3 topics which is a bit of a waste of time tbh)
What are you revising?
Also, are you learning all of depth? - I am

Trying to work out a plan ....Treaty of Versailles

not quite sure what you mean by all of depth...can you explain

how do u know for sure that League of Nations and Road to War are definitely coming up, do you have proof? Also, since 4 questions will be asked for 20C in paper 1, do you know what the other two are?
Original post by purplesockmonkey
Actually don't worry, I get it!

you get it? how do u know for sure that League of Nations and Road to War are definitely coming up, do you have proof? Also, since 4 questions will be asked for 20C in paper 1, do you know what the other two are?
Original post by ariellabenaim
you get it? how do u know for sure that League of Nations and Road to War are definitely coming up, do you have proof? Also, since 4 questions will be asked for 20C in paper 1, do you know what the other two are?

I meant that I get why the Treaty of Versailles is very very unlikely to come up. You are correct to say that we cannot be sure that the League of Nations and Road to War will both come up; I personally never said that they would, so cannot debate that one with you. But I think it's safe to say that it is definite that at least one will come up as many schools have not covered much beyond the Second World War.
No need for proof -- I do not have proof nor did I claim to, neither am I entirely sure myself. Hope I helped :smile:

Ah, just saw your final question as well! We have no definite way of knowing but trends in past papers seem to suggest there will be one on either Origins of the Cold War OR Korea Cuba & Vietnam; and one on Russia later in the 20th Century (but I can't be sure of that one as we haven't done it). Also seen a few on the Iran-Iraq war but again, we haven't done that so I don't know if that's relevant. :smile:
Ah, just saw your final question as well! We have no definite way of knowing but trends in past papers seem to suggest there will be one on either Origins of the Cold War OR Korea Cuba & Vietnam; and one on Russia later in the 20th Century (but I can't be sure of that one as we haven't done it). Also seen a few on the Iran-Iraq war but again, we haven't done that so I don't know if that's relevant. :smile:

for paper 1, I am only learning TOV, LON, international peace until 1939 and the Cold War. Do you think that that's enough?
for paper 1, I am only learning TOV, LON, international peace until 1939 and the Cold War. Do you think that that's enough?

PERSONALLY yeah I think that's enough (AND your depth study of course)
PERSONALLY yeah I think that's enough (AND your depth study of course)

yes, of course :u: - do u have any idea which specific topics will come up? Also, does anyone know how many well developed points are needed for a 6 marker on paper 1?
Hey sorry just read my post and doesn't make much sense at all!!

We're doing two different parts for our GCSE;
1) Public relations (ToV, LoN, Causes of WW2, Cold War, Gulf War) in which ToV will be the sources paper. In Paper 1 (4/6/10) we're going to have to answer 2 sets of 4/6/10s on public relations (we will be given a choice of 4 sub-topics; 2 from before WW2 & 2 from after WW2)
2) Depth Study (we're doing Germany but there are other ones like USSR, Israel/Palestine, USA etc.) which we did our coursework essay on. In Paper 1 (4/6/10) we're gong to have to answer 1 set of 4/6/10s on our Depth Study (we will be given a choice of 2 sub-topics)

So for paper1 we will be answering 3 sets of 4/6/10s (40min/set) 2 of which will be about public relations & 1 of which will be about our school's chosen Depth Study.

Since our sources paper is on ToV (the exam board told our schools when we were in year 10) we know that the 2 sub-topics pre-WW2 that will come up as a choice of public relations 4/6/10s will have to be LoN & causes of WW2.
So, through deduction we can say that we're guaranteed for those 2 sub-topics to come up in the exam because the other pre-WW2 sub-topic is being used for our sources.
But there's no guarantee for what depth topics will come up because we aren't doing sources on depth study etc. So I'm preparing for all 4 topics of Depth
For me that will be; Weimar Gov, Hitler's rise to power & life under Nazi rule (there are 2 parts to the last topic so it's two separate topics; 3.a & 3.b)
Its all very confusing ahah!
I've attached my notes for public relations topics 2 & 3 it they'd be any help to people(please excuse spelling & grammatical errors)
I've also been compiling a list of possible 4/6/10 questions which is a work on progress but I've also attached what I've done so far - the tables in blue are public relations topics 2 & 3 (basically finished except I haven't answered the 10 markers) and the orange tables are for my Depth Study (unfinished)
Hopefully the exam will go well! In my mock I got 100% but CIE is known for giving really tricky questions so I'm trying to prepare for it as much as possible :/

thank you. however, i was told that ToV can come up, it's just less likely to. also are you 100% sure they always ask 2 pre ww2 and 2 post ww2? I'm learning ToV, LoN, road to war, who was to blame for the Cold War and the USA. is that too much for paper 1 then?

thank you x
Well my teachers said they always do 2 before & 2 after (you can check past papers; they all seem to do so) and you can't get the same topic for sources & 4/6/10
Considering the History dpt at my school in the last few years has been 100% A*-A at GCSE I trust them :smile:
But you also have to be familiar with ToV for sources anyway so no harm in revising that!
Tbh there's no too much; the more you revise, the more likely you are to have options in the exam! My teachers encourage doing more if you have the time, but for me personally I just can't stand the Cold War etc so I'm just being lazy and focussing on 2/3 ahaha
Is the USA your depth study?

I'm extremely scared as i find it hard to believe that 2/3 will for sure come up😬 I don't know what to learn and i'm finding it difficult as there is so much detail for everything 😭 yes, I'm doing the USA
https://papacambridge.com/past-papers/cie/sy-qp-ms/igcse/history-0470/

This site has every CIE history past paper and if you look at the recent ones (since they've started doing 4/6/10) it's always been 2 before & 2 after.
Literally all my friends in other schools have also been told that 2/3 are guaranteed They're in some of the best schools in the UK that do this course like SHHS & Highgate etc so I completely trust them/my teachers

Thank you so much! You're making me very tempted to just revise 2 and 3 (LoN and Road to War) however my friends and parents are telling me not to as it is a risk assuming that those 2 topics will def come up... Also, would you mimd me asking which school you go to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending