The Student Room Group

when did you first dye your hair and what colour has made you happiest?

I originally dyed my hair back in 2011 when I was 15 a very bright violet red then my school made me change it back 3 days later, i've been dying it on and off since (everything from blonde to black with different coloured streaks) then and i've been happiest with a browny red, it's now my natural colour with a bit of a red tint but i m trying to turn it back to that before my wedding without damaging my hair too much or going to the hairdressers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by claireestelle
I originally dyed my hair back in 2011 when I was 15 a very bright violet red then my school made me change it back 3 days later, i've been dying it on and off since (everything from blonde to black with different coloured streaks) then and i've been happiest with a browny red, it's now my natural colour with a bit of a red tint but i m trying to turn it back to that before my wedding without damaging my hair too much or going to the hairdressers.

When I was about 14 I had my hair dyed a really bright shade of red which I nearly got excluded for. I also had it bleached blonde at one point- I'm mixed race so really blonde hair doesn't exactly suit my skin tone. Now my favourite colour to dye my hair is a dark shade of red. I had it purple recently as well & sometimes have a few blonde highlights.
Original post by Alesha1991
When I was about 14 I had my hair dyed a really bright shade of red which I nearly got excluded for. I also had it bleached blonde at one point- I'm mixed race so really blonde hair doesn't exactly suit my skin tone. Now my favourite colour to dye my hair is a dark shade of red. I had it purple recently as well & sometimes have a few blonde highlights.

We have quite similar hair choices, I ve gone blonde too but did an awful lot of damage so I cut a few inches off it.
I started dying my hair back in 2006 at age 14. Been through every colour of the rainbow, plus natural colours, at this point.

Right now it's a pastel green/blue, but I'll be getting it bleached this morning. Anytime I dye it I always end up going back to an ash or strawberry blonde.
Original post by sinfonietta
I started dying my hair back in 2006 at age 14. Been through every colour of the rainbow, plus natural colours, at this point.

Right now it's a pastel green/blue, but I'll be getting it bleached this morning. Anytime I dye it I always end up going back to an ash or strawberry blonde.

Do you find that damages your hair a lot or is it quite resilient?
Do you find that damages your hair a lot or is it quite resilient?

Experienced some damage back when I was 16 (due to a lot of self-dyeing/bleach) but since I insisted on only getting it done professionally not at all. I only trust one woman with my hair and she does an amazing job with it. :smile:

my sister, who does a hairdressing course, wants me to be her male model!
I'm scared silly about the prospect of this!
Original post by sinfonietta
Experienced some damage back when I was 16 (due to a lot of self-dyeing/bleach) but since I insisted on only getting it done professionally not at all. I only trust one woman with my hair and she does an amazing job with it. :smile:

Oh I see how going professional could help, I just can't justify the cost every 6 weeks, if I can't get my hair the colour I want come September I know I ll have to go but I hope that doesn't happen
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
my sister, who does a hairdressing course, wants me to be her male model!
I'm scared silly about the prospect of this!

Scared off what colour she d choose?
Scared off what colour she d choose?

she wants to give me either pink hair, a Mohawk (which I'm not too bothered about) or a skinhead!
1st and 3rd options terrify me.
I started dying my hair ash blond at 14, and I've been dying it the same colour ever since, for 7 years now :smile:
Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334
she wants to give me either pink hair, a Mohawk (which I'm not too bothered about) or a skinhead!
1st and 3rd options terrify me.

A Mohawk is much easy to fix if some goes wrong I guess:tongue:
Original post by Dusky Mauve
I started dying my hair ash blond at 14, and I've been dying it the same colour ever since, for 7 years now :smile:

What's your natural hair colour out of interest?
A Mohawk is much easy to fix if some goes wrong I guess:tongue:

yeah
I first dyed my hair a burgundy for Prom in 2015, and then did several blue shades for a year and am currently green - though I plan on going pink/peach in the very near future. Green has probably been my favourite though so I plan on going back to it once I've finished experimenting.
Reply 15
Mine has just gone through shades of red. Right now it's more of an ombre kind of thing. Bright red at the tips and natural hair from the roots. Means you can be lazy and not touch up the roots all the time 😜 I like the red tho so no plans to change it for now.
Original post by PsychTrash
I first dyed my hair a burgundy for Prom in 2015, and then did several blue shades for a year and am currently green - though I plan on going pink/peach in the very near future. Green has probably been my favourite though so I plan on going back to it once I've finished experimenting.

Green is quite difficult to maintain isn't it? you must be quite committed
Original post by Devify
Mine has just gone through shades of red. Right now it's more of an ombre kind of thing. Bright red at the tips and natural hair from the roots. Means you can be lazy and not touch up the roots all the time 😜 I like the red tho so no plans to change it for now.

Ombre is pretty cool :smile: mines gone slightly that way as the red took much better at the ends hoping to change in when i redo it at the weekend.
Reply 18
I first dyed my hair when I was 19. I was dark blonde but dyed it a shade darker to give a kind of copper look.

Now I'm a red head (brown into red) and I love it. Going to get my roots done next week as my dark blonde is coming through. It doesn't look bad though as it all blends :lol:
I first dyed my hair when I was 11 and I used permanent black :facepalm: good thing I was a goth/mosher back in those days or it would have been an utter failure. I've been all shades of brown, black, bright red, blonde and ginger. Ginger was my fave hair colour but I had to dye my hair multiple times a month and it flared up my psoriasis so I decided to go for a gingery copper brown which is close to my natural colour so I don't have to dye it as much and tbh, I quite like the colour :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest