The Student Room Group

WJEC Information & Communication Technology IT3 (LEGACY) 1243/01 - 16 Jun 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AA923
Do you have any predictions for the AS spreadsheet Questions ? :3

Not as such, no.

From what I recall, it is rare for the same questions to come up in the same two consecutive years (for the most part)

Really you should know the spreadsheet like the back of your hand and understand all of the functions on there and how to describe them. So long as you are able to cover every feature you have put on there, you will be fine.

I have attached the table which I referred to whenever I couldn't remember what a certain feature does. Maybe you would benefit if you open that with Word (to replace my explanations with that which is relevant to your spreadsheet) or produce something similar from scratch.

Have a gander at the PDF.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AA923
Do you have any predictions for the AS spreadsheet Questions ? :3

13016506_949273451853764_496168196_o.jpg

As for the question about financial forecasting / weather forecasting / car crash analysis

I reckon car crash analysis this year.

Judge it for yourself by looking at this chart I made this time last year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, I have something really bothering me about the "code of conduct" question.

Take the January 2013 paper Q12 for example:

"A local council has a code of conduct for all of its employees who use ICT systems. Define what is meant by a code of conduct and describe four guidelines it should contain. [6]"

So yeah the definition marks are fine but the other 4 marks is where 'Im struggling at. The mark scheme states this:

This means that if I'm choosing 4 factors from the list above and constructing them in sentences then I won't get the 4 marks even though that is all the mark scheme is asking for?

I'm pretty bothered and scared about the fact that it wants me to expand on any of the 4 points above but its not giving an example of expansion?

This was from taken from that paper's examiners report and I feel a lot of people just simply wrote down 4 points from the above and rightfully though they'd get the 4 marks but didn't as the mark scheme is very limited:

So could someone please give me an expansion answer to the points above to ensure that I get my 4 marks on the day should this question come up:
Original post by mayhs98
Hi, I have something really bothering me about the "code of conduct" question.

Take the January 2013 paper Q12 for example:

"A local council has a code of conduct for all of its employees who use ICT systems. Define what is meant by a code of conduct and describe four guidelines it should contain. [6]"

So yeah the definition marks are fine but the other 4 marks is where 'Im struggling at. The mark scheme states this:

This means that if I'm choosing 4 factors from the list above and constructing them in sentences then I won't get the 4 marks even though that is all the mark scheme is asking for?

I'm pretty bothered and scared about the fact that it wants me to expand on any of the 4 points above but its not giving an example of expansion?

This was from taken from that paper's examiners report and I feel a lot of people just simply wrote down 4 points from the above and rightfully though they'd get the 4 marks but didn't as the mark scheme is very limited:

So could someone please give me an expansion answer to the points above to ensure that I get my 4 marks on the day should this question come up:

Hey.

Yes you will need to give more than the mark scheme for this question. The points you discuss should involve a direct statement of four things from the mark scheme but you must give further detail after this. This is where you have to draw on your creativity and bullsh*t your way through it.

Example of what I mean

The code of conduct should contain a guideline which requires compliance with licensing agreements. This would prohibit employees from copying the company software onto their home PCs as this can land the business in trouble by exceeding the number of licenses they bought.

Have a look at the 2016 code of conduct question. Marks are awarded slightly differently but the mark scheme will give you examples of extensions unlike the one seen here.

I notice a trend with the quality of the mark schemes. The further back you go, the more disorganised and horrendously explained the points are.

So yeah stick to the most recent appearance of each question as much as you can.
Haven't posted here for a while because I've been stressing out about psychology.

Could you mark these ones too PS? only 6 questions in total, very short topics, much appreciated :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Currently doing the network topic and i find it really hard not to just list this question, how can i expand my answer for these tasks?

A network manager uses remote management when managing the network. Describe four tasks that the network manager could do using remote management. (4marks)

MS: Check to see right number of licences.
Setting regular times for virus scanning/ check virus scanning has been done
Check to see no unauthorised software loaded on machines.
Update software/rebuild software on stations / re-setup stations / re-install software
Log off users who have forgotten to do so.
Send instant messages.
Guide users through problems.
Take control of stations.
Check on hardware to see what needs upgrading.
Check on components to see if any failing.
Shut down stations.
Clear printer queues (remotely) at stations.

Original post by hehexd
Currently doing the network topic and i find it really hard not to just list this question, how can i expand my answer for these tasks?

A network manager uses remote management when managing the network. Describe four tasks that the network manager could do using remote management. (4marks)

MS: Check to see right number of licences.
Setting regular times for virus scanning/ check virus scanning has been done
Check to see no unauthorised software loaded on machines.
Update software/rebuild software on stations / re-setup stations / re-install software
Log off users who have forgotten to do so.
Send instant messages.
Guide users through problems.
Take control of stations.
Check on hardware to see what needs upgrading.
Check on components to see if any failing.
Shut down stations.
Clear printer queues (remotely) at stations.

Its just a description. As is the case with many description questions, just bullsh*t your way through them.

Example

The network manager is able to send instant messages to any individual users and often to a group of users to communicate with them information about the network. This facility might be used to notify users of when the network would be unavailable due to maintenance, allowing them to save their work and plan ahead etc...
I got a C grade overall last year, got a B in my IT 1 mock and an A in IT 2, I am resitting IT1 this year and got an A in IT4. Got a D in the actual IT1 exam however which brought me down. What tips are there to improve this grade and get a high grade in Info Tech 3?
Original post by cm1234567
I got a C grade overall last year, got a B in my IT 1 mock and an A in IT 2, I am resitting IT1 this year and got an A in IT4. Got a D in the actual IT1 exam however which brought me down. What tips are there to improve this grade and get a high grade in Info Tech 3?

Have a look at the first page of the thread.
@PedanticStudent hey not sure if you've worked it out for me before and I'm sorry if you have I just couldn't find it anyway
What ums/mark in the it3 exam would I need to get an A grade if I had 162 ums in as total and my coursework for this year is 80/80?
Thanks
Reply 230
Original post by lemonandlime1
@PedanticStudent hey not sure if you've worked it out for me before and I'm sorry if you have I just couldn't find it anyway
What ums/mark in the it3 exam would I need to get an A grade if I had 162 ums in as total and my coursework for this year is 80/80?
Thanks

320-162-80 = 78 ums
Which is like 66/90 (C) in exam but do remember grade boundaries might change.
Original post by PedanticStudent
Its just a description. As is the case with many description questions, just bullsh*t your way through them.

Example

The network manager is able to send instant messages to any individual users and often to a group of users to communicate with them information about the network. This facility might be used to notify users of when the network would be unavailable due to maintenance, allowing them to save their work and plan ahead etc...

thank you.
Don't think I attached anything in my previous message.
For this question, Discuss the relative advantages and disadvantages of ring and star topologies. (6marks)

What does it mean by,

Indicative content:

These points could be made but must be related to each topology.
? Thanks
Original post by hehexd
For this question, Discuss the relative advantages and disadvantages of ring and star topologies. (6marks)

What does it mean by,

Indicative content:

These points could be made but must be related to each topology.
? Thanks

You have to relate the point to the topology

An advantage of the ring network topology is that no one computer can hog the network as each computer has the same access. This ensures that there is sufficient bandwidth for smooth operation of every station.

You couldn't just dump the point there without being clear about what topology you are talking about
You have to relate the point to the topology

An advantage of the ring network topology is that no one computer can hog the network as each computer has the same access. This ensures that there is sufficient bandwidth for smooth operation of every station.

You couldn't just dump the point there without being clear about what topology you are talking about

The question talks about comparing & contrasting but i feel like i've just listed the advantages and disadvantages for each topology.

Anyway, do you think this would get full marks?

An advantage of the ring network could be that there are no data collisions. This is where two blocks of data encounter each other which leads to the destruction of the data. This therefore means that network speed can stay consistent and not be reduced as data does not have to be resent. Another advantage of the ring network topology is that no one computer can hog the network as each computer has the same access. This ensures that there is sufficient bandwidth for a smooth operation of every station. A disadvantage of the ring network is that faults are difficult to locate, this is because faults are often isolated and are not identified until a user experiences a problem.

An advantage of the star network should be that it’s fault tolerant, this means that if one of the cables fail, then other computers can still be used. This in which ensures a more reliable network as users are not dependent on functional cables. Another advantage of the star network is load tolerant. This means that extra computers can be added without much loss in performance because all the computers have their own path to the server. However, a disadvantage for the star topology is that there is a higher cost associated with this type of network as it requires larger amounts of cabling compared to other networks which can be expensive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hiya! This is an amazing exam thread - I've added it to the Exam Thread Directory 2017 :h:

If you see any other exam threads threads that aren't in the directory yet - let me know by either tagging me in, or linking it in the directory and I can add it in! You can also find discussions for your other exams there.

If any of your other exams aren't on there yet - feel free to make the exam thread for it yourself :excited:

Good luck in all your exams! :eek3:
Original post by hehexd
The question talks about comparing & contrasting but i feel like i've just listed the advantages and disadvantages for each topology.

Anyway, do you think this would get full marks?

An advantage of the ring network could be that there are no data collisions. This is where two blocks of data encounter each other which leads to the destruction of the data. This therefore means that network speed can stay consistent and not be reduced as data does not have to be resent. Another advantage of the ring network topology is that no one computer can hog the network as each computer has the same access. This ensures that there is sufficient bandwidth for a smooth operation of every station. A disadvantage of the ring network is that faults are difficult to locate, this is because faults are often isolated and are not identified until a user experiences a problem.

An advantage of the star network should be that it’s fault tolerant, this means that if one of the cables fail, then other computers can still be used. This in which ensures a more reliable network as users are not dependent on functional cables. Another advantage of the star network is load tolerant. This means that extra computers can be added without much loss in performance because all the computers have their own path to the server. However, a disadvantage for the star topology is that there is a higher cost associated with this type of network as it requires larger amounts of cabling compared to other networks which can be expensive.

Answers must mention both ring and star topologies making relative comments for each mark. (i.e. cannot make 6 ring points)

You have mentioned both and have given good even coverage. Technically you are comparing and contrasting, as you are discussing both of the topologies. I understand why you may be sceptical about that owing to the wording of the question, but remember that the mark scheme will always take precedence over the question.

You have described each of your points well, which isn't strictly necessary but is certainly a wise choice.

I would give it full marks. Well done.
Reply 238
Answers must mention both ring and star topologies making relative comments for each mark. (i.e. cannot make 6 ring points)

You have mentioned both and have given good even coverage. Technically you are comparing and contrasting, as you are discussing both of the topologies. I understand why you may be sceptical about that owing to the wording of the question, but remember that the mark scheme will always take precedence over the question.

You have described each of your points well, which isn't strictly necessary but is certainly a wise choice.

I would give it full marks. Well done.

Heeyy have u got the prdictionss?
Original post by AA923
Heeyy have u got the prdictionss?

I haven't yet, no. My in-depth business revision has come to an end so there will probably be time for that over the next week or so. Welsh Bacc deadline is close so I have to prioritise currently. I'll post what I think will come up here as soon as I have put together a doc.

For now just keep at it with the papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending