The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Earlofthegrey
Is it to early to start preparing. I will most likely book my test for august

Really really early. You should only need 3 weeks or so for good revision. Otherwise you'll run out of resources.
^ I agree, I did my UKCAT last year (im starting med school this year) and I revised for about 3-4 weeks.
Also idk why there are people telling you to go on the Kaplan course - it's a bit of waste of money. Like if you have that much to throw away go ahead but realistically all you need is hard work. You can get the Kaplan book cheap off the Internet. Use that, the 1000q book and any other books you can find at the library or online. The MedicPortal and Medify both offer good revision tools, so pick one of those. A guy I know who went on the Kaplan course spent £400 on it and then only ended up with 20 points more than me who didn't go on a course (we were both in the top decile, which is usually the only thing most med schools look at). People I have spoken to said the Kaplan resources are useful but the actual course is just someone reading out of a book to you.
Reply 63
Original post by Mac117
Thank you for your answer! Would you mind telling me which parts are therefore really on the UKCAT 2017? It's QR, AR, VR and...? My book has the Decision Analysis (with the codes to decipher) but I don't want to spend time studying for it if it's not going to be thee... If DA has been removed, should I just ignore it?

Hey Mac117 :-) As somebody else has pointed out, DA was removed quite a few years ago so you definitely shouldn't bother with it (which is a shame because I remember finding it quite fun!) So going by the official UKCAT website, this year there will be 5 sections VR, QR, AR, SJT (Situaitonal Judgement Test) and DM (Decision Making). Check out our website for lots of free resources and if you would like an additional classroom experience we'll be running our critically acclaimed across the UK courses from June onwards.

Best of luck and feel free let me know of any more questions :-)

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
I've asked this before but I'm still confused so I'll be very grateful for any help. What is the difference between DA and DM questions? Is there any overlap? Do they count towards the final mark?

Also, I'm using the free question bank passukcat.com as that seems to have some DM questions. Does anyone know of any other free resources as I want to keep my powder dry for medify and the official ukcat mock exams...:colone:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 65
Original post by BlazingRain
I've asked this before but I'm still confused so I'll be very grateful for any help. What is the difference between DA and DM questions? Is there any overlap? Do they count towards the final mark?

Also, I'm using the free question bank passukcat.com as that seems to have some DM questions. Does anyone know of any other free resources as I want to keep my powder dry for medify and the official ukcat mock exams...:colone:

Hey there :-) DA was abolished years ago (which is a shame, because I think it was the easiest section and quite fun too!) and involved interpreting codes. DM involves problem-solving, logic, probabilities, sequences etc. it has some similarities with section 1 of the BMAT. There is virtually no overlap between DA and DM, don't spend any time preparing for DA.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/about-the-test/decision-making/

In terms of free resources, check out our UKCAT Ninja website, not sure if our DM material is on there yet but if not it's coming soon!!

Alex, 4th year UCL medic,
6med
(edited 7 years ago)
hi everyone

i qualified as an adult nurse in january 2017 and now work as a critical care nurse in ITU and will be reapplying for medicine undergrad and GEM for 2018 entry, i applied for 2017 entry and only got 643 average on ukcat and knew wouldnt get any interviews with that score at newcastle warwick and barts but applied anyway, could only apply their due to my a levels.

i feel like i know a lot about ukcat and applying to medicine so any questions so ahead and ask as i spent my life on student room last year and other people helped me a lot :smile:
Original post by medchem
To all people just starting to look at revision stuff - don't waste money on loads of books!!!!

Stick to practise tests and maybe 1-2 weeks of medify but keep your focus on the tests provided by UKCAT x

Thank you for the advice. I have just posted a thread called UKCAT courses and whether anybody found them useful. I'm quite concerned about the test
Thanks Swarovski,

I'll check out the post. Another free resource I'm using is www.passukcat.com which has over a 1,000 free questions including DM of new format. Saving medify for the last month!
Hi All!

I'm only starting to explore all the preparation options, also wanting to save the official UKCAT practice questions and mock tests for the end. However, there is a number of "UKCAT question bank" providers (The Medic Portal and UKCAT ninja), plus there's also ISC Medical book of 1250 UKCAT questions, so which one of these to buy? or maybe all of them? I'm afraid that I'll buy them all and then find that they have the same questions...
Original post by rozhkomaria
Hi All!

I'm only starting to explore all the preparation options, also wanting to save the official UKCAT practice questions and mock tests for the end. However, there is a number of "UKCAT question bank" providers (The Medic Portal and UKCAT ninja), plus there's also ISC Medical book of 1250 UKCAT questions, so which one of these to buy? or maybe all of them? I'm afraid that I'll buy them all and then find that they have the same questions...

a lot of people often buy a book like the 1250 questions book, it is often a little harder but think that makes the official questions easier, then buy something like medify on the internet which is like £30/£40 for 2 months and has lots of questions in the same format as ukcat with mock tests also. i used it last year and was very good, when i came to do the ukcat i felt relaxed because i was familiar with the format
Has anyone been on the medical portal course? If so, how did you find it?
Their book has some useful tips especially for AR.

And has the 1250 book been released yet?
To anyone who used medify, how close were the questions to the actual thing?

The QR section in the 600 book is RIDICULOUSLY difficult
Original post by OloMed
To anyone who used medify, how close were the questions to the actual thing?

The QR section in the 600 book is RIDICULOUSLY difficult

pretty the same. some said the quantative on the actual test was easier than medify. but the whole platform, timings etc work well and give good practice for real thing. good repesentation for all questions i thought
Original post by xJessScott
pretty the same. some said the quantative on the actual test was easier than medify. but the whole platform, timings etc work well and give good practice for real thing. good repesentation for all questions i thought

I will definitely use medify this year. I'm currently using the 600 book and finding it extremely difficult. I feel I can't do 75% of the questions in the Quantitative Reasoning section.

And the VR section requires a lot of inference in the 600 book

How do you feel the 600 book compared to the actual test? I'm really struggling with this book

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OloMed
I will definitely use medify this year. I'm currently using the 600 book and finding it extremely difficult. I feel I can't do 75% of the questions in the Quantitative Reasoning section.

How do you feel the 600 book compared to the actual test? I'm really struggling with this book

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

lot of people feel like that with this book. questions on medify and the actual exam is easier, obviously you get some of those harder questions occssioanlly but the real exam was much much easier than the book
Reply 76
Original post by OloMed

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there :-) Don't worry, we always warn our students that the QR questions in that book are notoriously hard. However, it won't hurt to practise with them as it will make the actual test QR seem much easier. Just don't be discouraged if you can't get close to completely the questions within the sugggested time limits.

Alex, 4th year UCL medic,
6med
Reply 77
Original post by OloMed

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

VR is about the same tbh.
Original post by OloMed

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here is a summary of the ISC books:
The 600Q is now a bit out of date, not least because it has the old Decision Analysis section. People tended to find that QR was harder than the exam (not so much hard but it took longer than anticipated to get to the answer), AR okay, VR well aligned with the exam.

Then they published the 1000Q which was essentially the 600Q book minus the redundant Decision Analysis section, but with more QR (easier ones were inserted) + the new style VR questions + the new SJT section. People found the QR better in this one, the VR still well aligned with the exam, the SJT aligned with the exam, but the AR harder (but I think that now the QR is better, people are now focussing more on the AR section).

I contacted ISC a while ago about the new book and the 1250Q book I am told is the same as the 1000Q book, except it has had some corrections made to it and there is now a new Decision Making section. It's already available on Amazon for pre-order. Just search for UKCAT and you will see at the top of the list. Publication date is set to 15 May but last year the 1000Q was available from their own website a couple of weeks before.

The ISC books are probably harder than the exam overall but they are good practice to get you to think about your technique before you do Medify or other similar online thing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by OloMed

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL. Well VR is all about inference so that's a good thing then. Actually the VR section is very strict in the ISC book and uses exactly the same logic as the exam. No room for speculation or extrapolation.

As for QR, use the 1000Q at least (or the 1250 when it comes). There are twice as many questions and the added ones were easier. But I think also you are finding QR hard because you are expecting too much too soon. A lot of the UKCAT success rests on your ability to look at data selectively and not to understand everything in detail before you look at questions. So you may just need to pick up speed through practice.

Latest

Trending

Trending