The Student Room Group

Things you struggle with mostly while learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shanj0nes
I'm so happy right now! Only just gone and passed my test with 6 minors!

I've had the SAME examiner three times in a row, I genuinely thought i failed again today!

So glad I didn't give up otherwise I wouldn't be of passed! To anyone who is thinking of quiting, don't do it!!!

Congratulations!! You must be well chuffed :biggrin:
:party: go treat yourself
I'm so happy right now! Only just gone and passed my test with 6 minors!

I've had the SAME examiner three times in a row, I genuinely thought i failed again today!

So glad I didn't give up otherwise I wouldn't be of passed! To anyone who is thinking of quiting, don't do it!!!

Ahh well done :hugs: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Driving test Thursday - Not confident at all on bay parking

Fratres, 3 weeks from now i will be harvesting my crops, picture where you will be and it shall be so
Hold the line! Stay with me

Had my test today got the baypark lol

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209999&page=102
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ohhello92x

Aw thank you! Still doesn't seem real haha! Just need to save for a car now!

Welcome
Yeah I need to save up for a car from now. Insurance will cost an arm and a leg :sigh:

You're welcome :biggrin:

Aw, what car are you thinking of getting? Or aren't you sure yet? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw. I managed to get my car 2nd hand after I passed. And with insurance the cheapest I got was with a black box :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're welcome :biggrin:

Aw, what car are you thinking of getting? Or aren't you sure yet? :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Literally haven't a clue, I need to shop around for one. I really want a Ford Fiesta but, they're quite expensive! I like the look of Suzuki Swift's though too!

It's just too hard! I'm just gonna save about £200 a month and see what I can find!
Literally haven't a clue, I need to shop around for one. I really want a Ford Fiesta but, they're quite expensive! I like the look of Suzuki Swift's though too!

It's just too hard! I'm just gonna save about £200 a month and see what I can find!

Fair enough :smile: suppose it's whatever you can find/get in your budget that you like the look of :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I passed my test on the 12th with three minors! Got reverse round a corner which was my favourite. Two minors were for speed and hesitation overtaking a learner (??????????). Can't even remember what the other one was for. Been driving since Sunday and oddly enough am struggling with clutch control now which was undoubtedly my strongest area when I was learning to drive (never struggled one bit with hill starts or anything like that, stalled once in my entire learning experience). Putting it down to an unfamiliar clutch and bite and just gotta hope it gets better. Good luck everyone taking their tests soon!
Original post by kate113855
I passed my test on the 12th with three minors! Got reverse round a corner which was my favourite. Two minors were for speed and hesitation overtaking a learner (??????????). Can't even remember what the other one was for. Been driving since Sunday and oddly enough am struggling with clutch control now which was undoubtedly my strongest area when I was learning to drive (never struggled one bit with hill starts or anything like that, stalled once in my entire learning experience). Putting it down to an unfamiliar clutch and bite and just gotta hope it gets better. Good luck everyone taking their tests soon!

Well done :biggrin: :hugs:! Don't worry, after I passed my test, I struggled with the clutch control at first, now it's fine :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kate113855

Nice one! :biggrin: Clutch control is one which gets everyone, just take your time getting used to the bite in your car. Stay safe on the roads :smile:
Hi guys, hope your lessons are going well? :biggrin:

So I finally went on the motorway today, 6 months after passing my test. Literally wasn't as bad as I had expected.. :biggrin: :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys :smile:

Just need to have a little rant, so apologies in advance :colondollar:!

Don't you hate it when inpatient people beep at you when you stall? I somehow was having one of them days where I ended up stalling twice going up a hill waiting to go into another road today. Had a taxi driver beep at me (don't know about anywhere else but taxis in my area near enough drive an automatic, and they think they own the road :mad: :/)! And over took me to go into the same road. And just as I was turning my car to go into the road a minibus starting to go into the same road, and I had to beep because if I was 2 seconds closer, I would've gone into them, and they were obviously impatient -.-! Don't know if they both would've done that if I was still a learner driver but people like that wind me up so much :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1134
My Theory is on Tuesday, really nervous. I still struggle with normal turning I always cut the corner or swan neck.

Don't you hate it when inpatient people beep at you when you stall? I somehow was having one of them days where I ended up stalling twice going up a hill waiting to go into another road today. Had a taxi driver beep at me (don't know about anywhere else but taxis in my area near enough drive an automatic, and they think they own the road :mad: :/)! And over took me to go into the same road. And just as I was turning my car to go into the road a minibus starting to go into the same road, and I had to beep because if I was 2 seconds closer, I would've gone into them, and they were obviously impatient -.-! Don't know if they both would've done that if I was still a learner driver but people like that wind me up so much :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have P plates?

When I first starting learning to drive, I stalled all the time lol, my instructor was so patient bless him.
But yeah, I can't really relate as I haven't driven on my yet but I know that when I will, I'll be so afraid. In my last few driving lessons, I would always ask for my instructors opinion before doing something. Like if it was a potential meeting situation, I'd ask him if I'm hesitating too much for waiting and he'd always tell me that what I'm doing is fine but knowing that I won't have that confirmation when I'm on my own is daunting :frown:
Had a good lesson today. 2nd test next week and my instructor said it was the best I'd ever driven. Also managed to get up to 65mph on the dual carriageway which was a bit scary XD normally stay at 55-60.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that! No there are a lot of :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: drivers in my area lol who dont care about learners. People have less patience than road safety. Ive had so many iffy moments because of other drivers pulling out infront of me or trying to overtake me. Even when im driving at the speed limit! And even the most experienced drivers stall sometimes so dont feel bad.
Original post by cherryred90s
Do you have P plates?

When I first starting learning to drive, I stalled all the time lol, my instructor was so patient bless him.
But yeah, I can't really relate as I haven't driven on my yet but I know that when I will, I'll be so afraid. In my last few driving lessons, I would always ask for my instructors opinion before doing something. Like if it was a potential meeting situation, I'd ask him if I'm hesitating too much for waiting and he'd always tell me that what I'm doing is fine but knowing that I won't have that confirmation when I'm on my own is daunting :frown:

Yeah I've still got my 'P' plate on (even 6 months after passing :redface:) and it's on the boot of the car as the other one on the front flew off when I first had my car :colondollar:! But it's frustrating as you get some people in my area who are patient enough to wait for me to restart the engine, and the other people like I've mentioned being douches because they're too impatient to wait, and taxi drivers (not all of them) especially just frustrate me so much, like a while back there was some temporary road works near a car park and it was green on my side, I was driving along and the taxi was parked on the other side of the road and then suddenly pulled out without indicating, and if I was driving a little bit faster I would've gone into him -.-

Aw bless :redface:, think everyone went through that stage of stalling almost every time :colondollar:! You'll be fine when you're on your own, all I can suggest is go on drives by yourself as much as possible to build up your confidence, or even have someone in the car with you on the first few drives after passing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I've still got my 'P' plate on (even 6 months after passing :redface:) and it's on the boot of the car as the other one on the front flew off when I first had my car :colondollar:! But it's frustrating as you get some people in my area who are patient enough to wait for me to restart the engine, and the other people like I've mentioned being douches because they're too impatient to wait, and taxi drivers (not all of them) especially just frustrate me so much, like a while back there was some temporary road works near a car park and it was green on my side, I was driving along and the taxi was parked on the other side of the road and then suddenly pulled out without indicating, and if I was driving a little bit faster I would've gone into him -.-

Aw bless :redface:, think everyone went through that stage of stalling almost every time :colondollar:! You'll be fine when you're on your own, all I can suggest is go on drives by yourself as much as possible to build up your confidence, or even have someone in the car with you on the first few drives after passing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I feel like I'd get P plates when I get a car too. Yeah taxi drivers can be really inconsiderate. On my test, a taxi driver came speeding out of nowhere and for the whole test, I thought I had failed because of it.
Yeah I definitely plan to have an experienced driver with me on my first few drives

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending