The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by 6med
Sorry my previous post was a bit misleading! I was saying that most scores above 700 are considered pretty strong but I have never heard of any unis asking for cutoffs that high. The way the UKCAT is used does vary and change a lot between unis and information can be found on university websites and the previous link I posted.

However, I would say that there's no point gettinng bogged down in all that now. One of the useful things about the UKCAT is that you get the result as soon as you complete the test. You can think about how to best apply tactically to universities once you have your UKCAT score, the best way to spend your time atm is just to focus on school and then on mastering the test itself :-)

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

Ahh that makes sense, I think I must have misread it. I'll just aim to get a strong competitive score by ensuing I do maximum effective preparation and then I'll try looking at where is best to apply. I understand the univeristies have different weighting of the UKCAT so I'll check their admission pages... tysm
Reply 61
Original post by Captain127
In my personal experience, I spent approximately 1 month but that's because I haven't done maths or close reading in about 6 years. My only advice which everyone gives is if you don't know then skip. I panicked and was a bit stubborn and didn't skip even though I did it in my mock exams. I did it this time round and did well. Several hard Qs in the middle but there were quite a lot of easy ones past them! Also learn shortcuts in the keyboard, they help you a lot! Good luck!

Did you end up having time to come back to all the Ines you skipped or did you have to miss them out??
For maths, I had time to just go through all of them. Towards the end I felt confident and spent more time until I realised I wasted too much time and barely managed to go through all the Qs I marked as guessed. For the close reading section I can't remember, tbh I think I gambled because I struggled too much with this. The text intensive Qs I didn't bother with them and really hard Qs like which one is not true? They take too much time to go through. And I might of just given up on 1 or 2 long passages. My logic anyways is that there's no point trying to attempt to grab marks everywhere. I accepted I cant do 2 passages and focused that time on other passages to ensure I get the marks for them. That was my strategy and I really sucked at close reading my whole life so maybe I'm not the best person to give advice. The maths section is where I relied on all my marks, nearly got full marks there somehow. Only reason I got a good mark... Also lucky that imo they were really easy and a few Qs I guessed I must of been very lucky.

Latest

Trending

Trending