The Student Room Group

Transferring medical schools after first year?

Hi, I'm currently holding an offer at one university to start this September. I'm really happy about it, but would still much prefer to go to another that I got rejected from, for several reasons. I've decided that rejecting the offer I've received is a silly idea, but I'm going to try and change via adjustment clearing. Failing that, I've heard it's possible to transfer to a different university after first year? I was wondering if anyone here knew if that was actually possible or just something I've heard, and how realistic it is that I'd be able to do it? Thanks very much in advance
Reply 1
No, it's not, unless part of a recognised transfer scheme like the Uni of Bradford -> Leeds one. Medical schools teach things in different ways and in a different order, so their courses are not just interchangeable at will. If there are significant extenuating circumstances it might be worth asking, but I would not get your hopes up, and would plan for 5 years at the uni you currently hold an offer for.
Reply 2
Hey there :-) I've never heard of such a thing being possible. I would further investigate the credibility of the source you heard this from and if you're really not sure, it can't help to ask both medical schools involved (though I highly suspect that they'll say the same thing)

Best of luck,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
It is definitely frowned upon. Medical school places are like gold dust and to take a place and only go for one year is wasting a place for someone else. It would be better to decline your offer and reapply next year.
Reply 4
Original post by PurpleDot
It is definitely frowned upon. Medical school places are like gold dust and to take a place and only go for one year is wasting a place for someone else. It would be better to decline your offer and reapply next year.

I was considering doing that but a few things have stopped me; A) what if I get no offers next year, and/or do significantly worse in my UKCAT, and B) the med school I have an offer for have stated specifically that people who decline an offer won't be eligible for a place if they reappply
Original post by Tonythefish
I was considering doing that but a few things have stopped me; A) what if I get no offers next year, and/or do significantly worse in my UKCAT, and B) the med school I have an offer for have stated specifically that people who decline an offer won't be eligible for a place if they reappply

OK - Accept your place now then do your UKCAT early and see what you get. If you get a good one then decline your place and reapply. Just do not start the course with an aim to go elsewhere. I just do not understand why you applied somewhere you do not want to go to.
In response to the people who have suggested declining your offer - don't decline your offer. (I know you said you weren't going to but for the benefit of anyone else reading this in a similar situation.) That would be insane. Even if you do UKCAT again this year and get a good result. You have an offer for medicine. That in itself is a rarity. it is highly possible / probable that you won't get one if you reapply next year. Don't take that risk.

And as has already been said, transferring not possible except occasionally in extreme extenuating circumstances and even then it's not a given.

Not sure what's put you off the uni you got an offer for, but try yo remind yourself of some of the positives - there were obviously reasons that made you apply there in the first place.
Also, if you start med school next year you could be hit by up to 5 years of conscription on graduation, if Jeremy Hunt gets his way.

You can't transfer med school no.
Original post by Tonythefish
Hi, I'm currently holding an offer at one university to start this September. I'm really happy about it, but would still much prefer to go to another that I got rejected from, for several reasons. I've decided that rejecting the offer I've received is a silly idea, but I'm going to try and change via adjustment clearing. Failing that, I've heard it's possible to transfer to a different university after first year? I was wondering if anyone here knew if that was actually possible or just something I've heard, and how realistic it is that I'd be able to do it? Thanks very much in advance

You have already asked this question on another thread and people gave of their time to answer it there. Must admit to being somewhat irritated (so I will not be as polite as other people are being)..places at Med' school are extremely hard to get. There are plenty of people who were 'unlucky' at not being offered this time around (esp at Manchester), might I suggest that you give up your place to someone who really wants it and stop wasting Manchester's time too.
Original post by undercover65
You have already asked this question on another thread and people gave of their time to answer it there. Must admit to being somewhat irritated (so I will not be as polite as other people are being)..places at Med' school are extremely hard to get. There are plenty of people who were 'unlucky' at not being offered this time around (esp at Manchester), might I suggest that you give up your place to someone who really wants it and stop wasting Manchester's time too.

With respect, that's not the attitude to have. Yes medicine is competitive and everyone would like to go. But it is up to the OP what to do with any offers he has earned. Whilst I believe giving up an offer for the chance at somewhere else is unwise, it is their choice and right to make that decision. We don't know the circumstances behind the dilemma. He is not wasting anybody's time. Everyone has the right to change their mind.

Even if he declines the offer it does not necessarily mean anyone else would get it, given that universities tend to over offer anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I disagree. I think medicine is one of those courses where the wanting to study medicine and be a doctor is far more important than where you study (within the UK, studying abroad adds another level of complications and uncertainties). If you only want to be a doctor if you can study at place x then you're going for the wrong course.
A bird in the hand is definitely worth 2 up a gum tree when it comes to medical school places.
Original post by ForestCat
With respect, that's not the attitude to have. Yes medicine is competitive and everyone would like to go. But it is up to the OP what to do with any offers he has earned. Whilst I believe giving up an offer for the chance at somewhere else is unwise, it is their choice and right to make that decision. We don't know the circumstances behind the dilemma. He is not wasting anybody's time. Everyone has the right to change their mind.

Even if he declines the offer it does not necessarily mean anyone else would get it, given that universities tend to over offer anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

With respect also - I am entitled to express my opinion too. Stating 'that's not the attitude to have...' is a tad judgemental (which also has no place in the context of 'Medicine'). When applying for Medicine it is important that the process is as 'transparent' as possible, that goes both ways (medical school admissions and the applicant)- if the OP did not intend to take up his offer from Manchester why waste the Admissions office time and take up a potential interview slot/ offer if they were not committed to their 'application to that med' school, and sure whether they were going to take it up anyway.
The OP has also asked a similar question on another thread and people gave of their time to answer them that time (it could suggest that they ask questions and don't listen to the answers).
You are incorrect when you say that 'if he declines the offer it does not necessarily mean anyone else would get it, given that universities tend to over offer anyway...' Please be accurate.
Original post by taysidefrog
I disagree. I think medicine is one of those courses where the wanting to study medicine and be a doctor is far more important than where you study (within the UK, studying abroad adds another level of complications and uncertainties). If you only want to be a doctor if you can study at place x then you're going for the wrong course.
A bird in the hand is definitely worth 2 up a gum tree when it comes to medical school places.

Thank you, my feelings exactly.
Reply 13
Original post by undercover65
With respect also - I am entitled to express my opinion too. Stating 'that's not the attitude to have...' is a tad judgemental (which also has no place in the context of 'Medicine':wink:. When applying for Medicine it is important that the process is as 'transparent' as possible, that goes both ways (medical school admissions and the applicant)- if the OP did not intend to take up his offer from Manchester why waste the Admissions office time and take up a potential interview slot/ offer if they were not committed to their 'application to that med' school, and sure whether they were going to take it up anyway.
The OP has also asked a similar question on another thread and people gave of their time to answer them that time (it could suggest that they ask questions and don't listen to the answers).
You are incorrect when you say that 'if he declines the offer it does not necessarily mean anyone else would get it, given that universities tend to over offer anyway...' Please be accurate.

I suppose the OP may have circumstances which may have occurred after applying.
However, unfortunately, some people do not know what they are getting themselves into when applying to some universities and this can result in wasted time and effort.
My parents did not like the university I was applying to and made me apply elsewhere. They took me to the university they suggested but I did not get a full tour. Since I needed their support to get through the interview process, I applied to that university they suggested and now I really regret it. So there can also be external factors involved in deciding what medical school to go to and this can result in applicants not choosing what is right for them.
Original post by Helenia
No, it's not, unless part of a recognised transfer scheme like the Uni of Bradford -> Leeds one. Medical schools teach things in different ways and in a different order, so their courses are not just interchangeable at will. If there are significant extenuating circumstances it might be worth asking, but I would not get your hopes up, and would plan for 5 years at the uni you currently hold an offer for.

The Bradford scheme isn't a medical school to medical school transfer. Its basically a foundation year, where only 20 get in to Leeds medical school
Honestly decline it and reapply. If you dislike your university or the life you won't do well and most likely always feel in the shadow of the better university you could've possibly got into. Try it. If you got in once you'll likely get in again. Alternatively just ask them to defer and reapply again alongside them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending