The Student Room Group

Advice on GCSE Geography

I'm in year 11 and I'm currently studying my last year of GCSEs. What is the most effective way of revising case studies for geography. Do you make flash cards? Mindmaps? A whole page of case studies?
Original post by Chloe4091
I'm in year 11 and I'm currently studying my last year of GCSEs. What is the most effective way of revising case studies for geography. Do you make flash cards? Mindmaps? A whole page of case studies?

It really does depend on you. I made traditional bullet pointed notes and included lots of diagrams, and used flash cards for my case studies (colour-coding them by topic).
Reply 2
Original post by greghayes
It really does depend on you. I made traditional bullet pointed notes and included lots of diagrams, and used flash cards for my case studies (colour-coding them by topic).

Thank you so much!! Definitely going to use flash cards as I think it's best for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Throughout year 10 and year 11 I used flashcards to revise for all of my units and got A* on all of them, so based on my experience I would recommend flashcards.
I would also recommend doing past exam questions that are linked to the case studies. Doing these will help you to remember the specific facts of each case study and what the questions are likely to be like for each case study (if it comes up).
Original post by Chloe4091

hey! i got an a* in my geog mock and it helped me loads to remember case studies by assigning them stories. (sounds strange i will explain)
For example Monserrat a volcanic eruption
imagined walking up to your house and seeing the words Monserrat carved in the door. You walk in to your living room and see the tv covered in ash, the word Plymouth is spelt out and this is because the capital plymouth was covered in ash. You go into your kitchen to get a drink and see 19 coffins as thats how many died. You go upstairs and sat on the toilet seat is a tourist with his suitcase looking upset because the flights have been canceled.
ECT
This technique helps me a lot as i am visual and can picture it and it stays in my memory longer. I do this with some of my friends who never revise and they love this technique. PM me if your unsure what i mean :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest