The Student Room Group

Scared of what to do after university...

I hate my course, and I hated education. I never wanted to go to college, but here we are - I'm weeks away from finishing my degree. It hasn't been easy by any means, and it hasn't been particularly enjoyable. This was always a 'back up' plan, it was something I did because everyone did it, not because I wanted it.

So now I'm worried about the future. I'm scared about what to do, I have an idea of what I want to do, but I'm just scared. I never did what I wanted to do, I always did what was 'expected' of me. You go to university because you 'need' to in order to get a 'good' job.

I'm scared of disappointing my parents, they have a certain image of what I'm going to do... Get a job, save up and get a house, they want me to get onto the property ladder. And that's not what I want, at least not now anyway.

Because I always did what everyone else wanted me to do, I just feel so scared about leaving university. Although I hate university, I'm scared of what else is out there?

Does anyone else feel like this?
Aside from actually having started uni, everything you have said I relate to. I never feel fully certain about my course choice or what to do with it, but when the family preaches stability, you choose something reliable than necessarily what you want. I'm no help with advice on this, but I admire you for managing to persevere with it.
You mention that university was a "back up plan", what was your original plan?
Reply 3
Original post by SublimeArchon
Aside from actually having started uni, everything you have said I relate to. I never feel fully certain about my course choice or what to do with it, but when the family preaches stability, you choose something reliable than necessarily what you want. I'm no help with advice on this, but I admire you for managing to persevere with it.

I hope things work out for you, if you ever need anything feel free to pop me a message, even if it's 2 months down the line. :smile:

Original post by cheesecakelove
You mention that university was a "back up plan", what was your original plan?

This is the issue... I don't know what the 'original' plan was. From a young age there was always a clear path of school then college then university... This is what everyone was doing, there wasn't anything else I wanted to do. But I ALWAYS knew I didn't want to go to college or university - but I was never sure on what else I could do?
I see...what course did you pick and why?
Everyone gets a bit panicky when they realise that the safety of Uni is about to come to a clattering end - and real life/adult life is rushing up to meet you. You havnt said what your degree subject is (ie. if it has an obvious vocational purpose), but your Uni careers office should be running advice sessions called something like 'Careers for the Clueless' or similar - ie. what do you do when you dont know what you want to do, and where do you start.
Reply 6
Original post by cheesecakelove
I see...what course did you pick and why?

I choose Economics, and I guess the truth is I choose it because it it considered a 'good' degree... I was 'good' at it but I was never passionate about it, so I just went along with it I guess?

Original post by returnmigrant
Everyone gets a bit panicky when they realise that the safety of Uni is about to come to a clattering end - and real life/adult life is rushing up to meet you. You havnt said what your degree subject is (ie. if it has an obvious vocational purpose), but your Uni careers office should be running advice sessions called something like 'Careers for the Clueless' or similar - ie. what do you do when you dont know what you want to do, and where do you start.

Thanks for the reply, I've been to the careers people here... And tbh, it was a waste of time - they provided generic advice and that was it? I study Economics btw...
B, do what you enjoy. See if you can find a fun way that you can enjoy your course. If you can't, move on: it's tough, but needs to be done. You only have a finite amount of time in this world, and to get sucked up into the ratrace of the corporate industries and realise it doesn't give you anything at the end of it: it'd be a waste!

I study Philosophy, Politics and Economics, but I don't enjoy the econ. BUT, I'm trying to make the most of it and turn it into something fun: for example, I make YouTube videos about these things (cheeky plug https://youtu.be/uIzVhOC30uA ).

I think this applies to your career too - perhaps you need to strip back, reassess and maybe go to a back-up plan or try something new. **** expectations, seriously!

Hope I can be of some help.
Original post by >Username<
Thanks for the reply, I've been to the careers people here... And tbh, it was a waste of time - they provided generic advice and that was it? I study Economics btw...

Err! You are the person that has an unspecified fear of the future, yet no idea what you want to do. How the heck were they supposed to provide anything other than generic advice when presented with that? It's your responsibility to manage your life you know?
Here is advice/ideas from a few Unis :

Sheffield - http://www.careers.dept.shef.ac.uk/careersdegree/eco_careerideas.pdf
Bath - http://www.bath.ac.uk/students/careers/docs/economics-guide.pdf
Exeter : http://www.exeter.ac.uk/careers/research/degree/economics/

Ultimately you have to make some decisions, and start making applications for jobs - no Uni can do that for you.

Whilst I think 3-port's tone is a bit harsh, he does have a point, ie. you can't blame the Uni for the fact that you apparently didn't want to be at Uni - or that now you are about to graduate you dont know what to do next. There isnt a magic 'find me a job' button in any careers centre. You have to shake of the resentment and move on - and actually start applying for jobs.
Did you do any kind of work experience during your time at university and what did you think of it? Now is the time to start preparing what you want to do. Look at volunteering in different areas as a possible way of working out what career you want to do. What are your interests or aims in life? Most of us want a career that enjoy and fulfils what we hope to achieve. Perhaps by thinking about these points you can get an idea?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending