The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2440
Original post by rayofsunshine98
Yeah I thought so, the old spec boundaries are quite low as were the as marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

And there's no reason to assume they will go up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Ignore your mock marking "boundary". It's clearly wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wish my teachers could see that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2442

Posted from TSR Mobile

You also need to average your mark across all the papers. You don't need an A* in each paper, just an A* across the subject. One "bad" paper may not be a major issue, and if you find a paper hard you get bet your bottom dollar so will everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You also need to average your mark across all the papers. You don't need an A* in each paper, just an A* across the subject. One "bad" paper may not be a major issue, and if you find a paper hard you get bet your bottom dollar so will everyone else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I know, my teachers are just using overinflated grade boundaries 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's how my teachers are doing it as well tbh just completely guessing and doing it in 10% jumps. Like 28/30 marks for an essay is an A*, and 26 marks is a B etc etc. I got a 26 in one essay and I got a B, but I only lost 4 marks. I got a 29 in another essay and it was an A*. It just seems a little too tight :redface:
Reply 2445
Original post by SteamboatMickey
That's how my teachers are doing it as well tbh just completely guessing and doing it in 10% jumps. Like 28/30 marks for an essay is an A*, and 26 marks is a B etc etc. I got a 26 in one essay and I got a B, but I only lost 4 marks. I got a 29 in another essay and it was an A*. It just seems a little too tight :redface:

But that makes no sense whatsoever.

Let's assume 90% is an A* (which, as I said previously, it probably isn't - it will be lower, but anyway)

For a unit (or essay) being marked out of 30 the notional boundaries are:
A*: 90% x 30 = 27
A : 80% = 24
B : 70% = 21
C : 60% = 18
D : 50% = 15
E : 40% = 12

So 26 is an A, and only one mark from an A*.

Let's assume 90% is an A* (which, as I said previously, it probably isn't - it will be lower, but anyway)

A* 90% x 30 = 27
A 80% = 24
B 70% = 21
C 60% = 18
D 50% = 15
E 40% = 12

Oh my teachers do it too.

They have no alternative really, AQA are rubbish and not giving any guidance at all! (and are also providing really subpar example responses)
(edited 6 years ago)

A*: 90% x 30 = 27
A : 80% = 24
B : 70% = 21
C : 60% = 18
D : 50% = 15
E : 40% = 12

That makes more sense!

You don't need an A* in every essay/question either, do you? In order to come out with an A* overall?

I'm looking at nearly full marks in all my coursework, but obviously have some weak points here and there, although not enough to sink completely down the mark scheme.

(Lowest mark this year a high B, not counting things I've done when I've been really ill where I got C/B).
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2448
That makes more sense!

You don't need an A* in every essay/question either, do you?

No, you just need to accumulate enough marks across all the papers to reach whatever the boundary is. I don't know if some papers have more weighting or scaling than others... it should all be in the specifications for each subject.
No, you just need to accumulate enough marks across all the papers to reach whatever the boundary is. I don't know if some papers have more weighting or scaling than others... it should all be in the specifications for each subject.

Mine have more weighting in some papers/sections than others but in each subject coursework is worth 20%.
Reply 2450
Mine have more weighting in some papers/sections than others but in each subject coursework is worth 20%.

So yeah for AQA History as you probably know you have 2 papers plus an investigation (coursework)
1. Paper 1 (Breadth Study) has max 80 marks available. This makes up 40% of the total A-level.
2. Paper 2 (Depth Study) is also max 80 (40%)
3. The Investigation is max 40 marks (20%)

So you have 200 marks available. Where you accumulate your 200 (or say 180ish (90%) for an A*) is up to you.

And honestly I do expect the boundary to be lower than 180, maybe 170 will be enough... who knows.
(edited 6 years ago)
So yeah for AQA History as you probably know you have 2 papers plus an investigation (coursework)
Paper 1 is has max 80 marks available. This makes up 40% of the total A-level.
Paper 2 is also max 80 (40%)
Investigation is max 40 marks (20%)

So you have 200 marks available. Where you accumulate your 200 (or say 180ish (90%) for an A*) is up to you.

And honestly I do expect the boundary to be lower than 180, maybe 170 will be enough... who knows.

I'm on edexcel for History, but yeah it's a similar structure. I'm aiming for Paper 1 (Tudor) which is 60% to be either full marks (like last year) or close enough. Paper 2 is my favourite and I've been revising that a lot so I'm aiming for like 30/40 at least. I'm quite good at Paper 3 (worth 60%, so max. 60 marks) but I enjoy it least so I'm hoping to get enough marks to tip it into an A*. I usually get high marks in the source questions (need to work on timing) and essays are my strongest thing academically, according to my teachers whenever they discuss progress with me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2452
I'm on edexcel for History, but yeah it's a similar structure. I'm aiming for Paper 1 (Tudor) which is 60% to be either full marks (like last year) or close enough. Paper 2 is my favourite and I've been revising that a lot so I'm aiming for like 30/40 at least. I'm quite good at Paper 3 (worth 60%, so max. 60 marks) but I enjoy it least so I'm hoping to get enough marks to tip it into an A*.

Your percents can't be right... 60% + 60% is more than 100... :wink:

So, just looking at the Edexcel spec it's:
Paper 1 = 30%
Paper 2 = 20%
Paper 3 = 30%
Coursework = 20%

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/History/2015/support/T766b_history_at-a-glance.pdf
Your percents can't be right... 60% + 60% is more than 100... :wink:

So, just looking at the Edexcel spec it's:
Paper 1 = 30%
Paper 2 = 20%
Paper 3 = 30%
Coursework = 20%

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/History/2015/support/T766b_history_at-a-glance.pdf

Ooh my bad it was 60% last year!!

This is why I'm not a maths/science offer holder :lol:
Reply 2454
Ooh my bad it was 60% last year!!

This is why I'm not a maths/science offer holder :lol:

:toofunny:

Yes these percentey things are a nightmare :smile:
:toofunny:

Yes these percentey things are a nightmare :smile:

Doonesbury, do you suggest taking a break now and again (as in a whole day off) despite exams being so close? I am debating on whether or not to do anything today, or to just have a day off and play video games. I do revise quite a lot, up to 12 hours a day, but I feel like I am not going to get through the content in time (despite being ahead of most of my friends and revising more thoroughly than some of them). I do kind of want to do some history though. Ah!
Reply 2456
Doonesbury, do you suggest taking a break now and again (as in a whole day off) despite exams being so close? I am debating on whether or not to do anything today, or to just have a day off and play video games. I do revise quite a lot, up to 12 hours a day, but I feel like I am not going to get through the content in time (despite being ahead of most of my friends and revising more thoroughly than some of them). I do kind of want to do some history though. Ah!

Absolutely 100% yes. All work and no play is not a good thing...

Even "God" takes a day off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely 100% yes. All work and no play is not a good thing...

Even "God" takes a day off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!

To watch a Disney film or to do homework/revision today hm :tongue:
Thank you!

Disney film! 😄
Reply 2459
Thank you!

Have you already revised today?

If so make tomorrow a no revision (or any schoolwork at all) day. Go to the movies and have a proper day off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending