The Student Room Group

New OCR Chemistry Spec

I am currently revising for my A2 exams, and I was just wondering how other's are going about revising the new chemistry specification (OCR), specifically past paper questions, as the new questions have different structures to the old ones, and so past papers aren't the best way of revising exam technique. I've completed the sample assessments from the OCR website, but wondered if anyone had any other ways? :ta:
Reply 1
I still use the old spec past paper questions because there are some kind of similarities between the old and new spec. Just don't panic if you find a question about a topic you're unfamiliar with; it's mostly likely because that topic was on the old spec and not on the new one.
Reply 2
Original post by kk1009
I still use the old spec past paper questions because there are some kind of similarities between the old and new spec. Just don't panic if you find a question about a topic you're unfamiliar with; it's mostly likely because that topic was on the old spec and not on the new one.

Ah okay, thanks! Are you just using the sample assessments to practice the multiple choice questions then?
Reply 3
Original post by CharChar53
Ah okay, thanks! Are you just using the sample assessments to practice the multiple choice questions then?

Yeah, I'm saving the sample assessments until nearer to the exams though! What else do you do for revision?
Reply 4
Original post by kk1009
Yeah, I'm saving the sample assessments until nearer to the exams though! What else do you do for revision?

Mainly past papers, and I'm using questions from the new textbooks, as writing notes doesn't seem to work for me :ashamed2:

What other A-levels are you doing?
From when I last spoke to my chem teacher about the new spec (I was the last year of the old one) he said it is pretty much identical just some units have been re-ordered so past papers from the old spec should help boost your revision efforts. Even if you cannot answer all the questions due to differing content those you can will be good practice as the style of examination is similar.
Reply 6
Mainly past papers, and I'm using questions from the new textbooks, as writing notes doesn't seem to work for me :ashamed2:

What other A-levels are you doing?

Oh cool, I make notes because I find that doing them helps me remember the content more. I do biology, chemistry and maths! And you? I'm hoping to do biochemistry at university also, what about you?
I am currently revising for my A2 exams, and I was just wondering how other's are going about revising the new chemistry specification (OCR), specifically past paper questions, as the new questions have different structures to the old ones, and so past papers aren't the best way of revising exam technique. I've completed the sample assessments from the OCR website, but wondered if anyone had any other ways? :ta:

Are you doing OCR A or B?
Reply 8
Original post by kk1009
Oh cool, I make notes because I find that doing them helps me remember the content more. I do biology, chemistry and maths! And you? I'm hoping to do biochemistry at university also, what about you?

I wish that worked for me! I'm doing maths, chem and psychology, and hoping to do psychology in education next year :smile: My boyfriend does biochemistry at uni, and loves it!
Reply 9
Original post by ilovefruit
Are you doing OCR A or B?

OCR A :smile:
Reply 10
I wish that worked for me! I'm doing maths, chem and psychology, and hoping to do psychology in education next year :smile: My boyfriend does biochemistry at uni, and loves it!

That sounds great! What were his grades to get to his uni?
Also, what exam boards do you do? I go OCR A for biology and chemistry, and AQA for maths :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest