Information about black boxes.

Watch
genius10
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've seen lots of people ask questions about if it's worth getting a black box or not, but not many people have given an in-depth review about their black box. (certainly when I was researching this 18 months ago I didn't find much.) So here is some info about my insurance company.
---------
Insurance company: Marmalade

I've driven about 5000-6000 miles already with a black box, and have thus been able to work out what I am and and not allowed to do. My company gives me a login online and I can view my rides after every journey. I'll list my conclusions:

• Black box hates it when you slam on the breaks, or break heavily before a 30 zone.
  • Black box hates it when you make sharp turns, i.e always slow down to 10 mph for a 90 degree turn, and never do 40+ on a big roundabout.
  • Black box doesn't really care too much about acceleration. I always floor my car and never get done for acceleration. (unless you have a sports car or a Tesla model S, I think you will be fine)
  • Never been caught speeding in a 30/40, I once did 70+ for 15 sec or so in a 30 and black box didn't register. (do not try at home)
  • If you drive over 80mph for an entire minute you get a small penalty, but it doesn't matter if you drive 80 or 100, you get the same penalty. (I put cruise on 82 normally and don't get any penalties)
  • Short bursts of high speed goes pretty much undetected (30-40 sec at 95mph no prob)
  • Never done 100+ so can't give any info about that.

For me it works like this. Every journey starts at 100%, and you lose a few % for every thing you do wrong.
100-80% - Green
80-55% - Amber
<55% - Red
If you get caught in the red zone, first time it's a warning, second offence is a £250 fine, third offence is £500, £750... The company says that 90%+ of drivers never even get a warning.

The only time I got close to getting fined was when I drove 93mph on cruise on the M4 from junction 1-13 (50 miles), and gave me a score of ~57% (I was the only car driving about, 2AM I don't think it was THAT dangerous). I thought my blackbox was off, because it wasn't registering some journeys before, but magically started working again just for this one

Furthermore, I suggest you look at this chart below. Driving even 90+ can get you disqualified, and driving 100+ can get you disqualified for 56 days, which means you will need to re-take your driving test! Not to mention how this will mess you up with your next insurance quote. Won't be pretty. You can also look on http://www.ukmotorists.com/speeding%20fines2.asp to see how badly previous motorists have been fined for speeding.

Name:  d850464cd4e34c7faa850b4aa8a1af62.png
Views: 494
Size:  29.6 KB

tldr; If you want to drive at a reasonable speed (~80mph) and floor it every now and then, a black box is no problem. However if you want to drive ~100+mph most of the time, I think you got other things to worry about. Be prepared to bend over if you get caught.
FireSt0rm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I totally agree with this. My black box from more than works just the same!
PhilipG1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
With Tesco Bank Box here, been with them for 2 and a bit years now never had an issue with my driving style and the black box, only thing they've done is limit my bonus miles (which I don't need). I'm a quick driver for reference
skyspear
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by genius10)
  • If you drive over 80mph for an entire minute you get a small penalty, but it doesn't matter if you drive 80 or 100, you get the same penalty. (I put cruise on 82 normally and don't get any penalties)

Out of interest is this on Dual Carriageways/Motorways or on any road with a 60mph limit (eg a normal A road)?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (589)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.5%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads