The Student Room Group

spanish higher a* reading

hii, I'm aiming for a* for Spanish reading, Idk how to explain this but when I do the papers I come across some fancy phrases for example: junto con esta....- along with this... or con el objecto de... - in order to... I was wondering where you can learn these complex phrases because these aren't even in the specification and theres no where you can learn them, ive only learnt vocab but not like those trick phrases they use to catch you out? how do you find more of those? does anyone know? any students who have already done their exams?
Original post by usernamenew
hii, I'm aiming for a* for Spanish reading, Idk how to explain this but when I do the papers I come across some fancy phrases for example: junto con esta....- along with this... or con el objecto de... - in order to... I was wondering where you can learn these complex phrases because these aren't even in the specification and theres no where you can learn theme, ive only learnt vocab but not like those trick phrases they use to catch you out? how do you find more of those? does anyone know? any students who have already done their exams?

Hi, I'm an a2 student. I would recommend getting a vocab book e.g. Palabra por palabra or advanced Spanish vocabulary by Isabel orta to help you, but also doing all of the past papers and learning vocab that you didn't know. Also, in the exam, if you don't know the meaning of a phrase then just try to read around it. Other than that, there are threads on here entitled things like advanced Spanish phrases that might help you.
sorry, that's all I can rlly think of to advise.
hii, I'm aiming for a* for Spanish reading, Idk how to explain this but when I do the papers I come across some fancy phrases for example: junto con esta....- along with this... or con el objecto de... - in order to... I was wondering where you can learn these complex phrases because these aren't even in the specification and theres no where you can learn theme, ive only learnt vocab but not like those trick phrases they use to catch you out? how do you find more of those? does anyone know? any students who have already done their exams?

Hi, I'm an a2 student. I would recommend getting a vocab book e.g. Palabra por palabra or advanced Spanish vocabulary by Isabel orta to help you, but also doing all of the past papers and learning vocab that you didn't know. Also, in the exam, if you don't know the meaning of a phrase then just try to read around it. Other than that, there are threads on here entitled things like advanced Spanish phrases that might help you. Also, with phrases such as junto con esta, you will probably know the meaning of con and esta, and I it will be obvious to see that the phrase is connecting two things, thus consider what junto could mean in that context. You could also look up the most common words and phrases used in Spanish and Spanish essay phrases perhaps.
Reply 3
Original post by sophia1928
Hi, I'm an a2 student. I would recommend getting a vocab book e.g. Palabra por palabra or advanced Spanish vocabulary by Isabel orta to help you, but also doing all of the past papers and learning vocab that you didn't know. Also, in the exam, if you don't know the meaning of a phrase then just try to read around it. Other than that, there are threads on here entitled things like advanced Spanish phrases that might help you.

thank you !:h:
thank you !:h:

No problem. Good luck with your GCSEs!!!
Reply 5
Original post by sophia1928
No problem. Good luck with your GCSEs!!!

aw thank you so much, you too with your exams! they must be so much harder
aw thank you so much, you too with your exams! they must be so much harder

Haha thanks and in wouldn't be too sure, I think they have probably made GCSEs a lot harder since I did them.
Hi! Just to contribute further to this I use the website Memrise to learn vocab. The search tool is pretty bad, but there are plenty of courses on there and I find it a really effective way of learning vocab.
Original post by BuzzyB73
Hi! Just to contribute further to this I use the website Memrise to learn vocab. The search tool is pretty bad, but there are plenty of courses on there and I find it a really effective way of learning vocab.

Great point! Quizlet is also a great site. Get revising also has loads of revision resources.

Quick Reply

Latest